Wel thats it then

dalesman

Reaction score
2nd bloody heart attack this year last one 3 weeks ago while taking her in doors on holiday, spent 10 days in a ITU and a further tens on a general ward :mad:. So my river scene is now other for good as I cant haul loads of gear along banks or clamber up and down 14' plus banking to get into a swim :(.

So it looks like full time commie's it is then.

I was given a Maver Abyss 11' feed rod (unused) a while are they any good as a staring point? or would I be better off moving it on fleebay and looking for something better plus I am not that keen lasing out on a pole, I know they effective on the match scene and commie's but purely a pleasure fisher man and enjoy fishing a float rather than waiving 14m of carbon

laguna

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that dalesman and wish you good health in the future. What you need is a good sherpa to help with your gear and the odd leg up the banks! (wish I had one);)

As for the commies; that feeder rod should be okay but if you prefer float fishing you could maybe think about using a whip? (or both)
I'm with you regards float fishing, there is nothing better than the sight of a float disappearing! :w

All the best.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your heart attacks I know how they leave you feeling having had 3 myself, don't give up on rivers yet though, if you can find a stretch with fairly flat banks it can be possible to carry on fishing.

I have been using my mobility scooter to get me and my tackle to where I want to fish, I might look a right knob but who cares, I have had to cut my tackle down to do this but probably took to much anyway, using the scooter I can now reach further swims that I couldn't get to before (legs also knackered).

Don't give up mate there is always a way.

Terry D

Reaction score
Cut the tackle down, travel light, but at all costs - don't give up. There's always more ways to swing a cat so to speak.

dalesman

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your heart attacks I know how they leave you feeling having had 3 myself, don't give up on rivers yet though, if you can find a stretch with fairly flat banks it can be possible to carry on fishing.

I have been using my mobility scooter to get me and my tackle to where I want to fish, I might look a right knob but who cares, I have had to cut my tackle down to do this but probably took to much anyway, using the scooter I can now reach further swims that I couldn't get to before (legs also knackered).

Don't give up mate there is always a way.

I used to fish the River Swale and a majority of the swims is a 16' drop to a bit flat banking 4 foot above the river.

Plus scooter and styles don't mix as the gates are usually padlocked to stop people leaving them open and livestock straying

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe that you could still fish some rivers if, as mentioned above, you travel ultra-light. I don't have heart or health problems, but opted for the light, gently roving approach many years ago - I feel a lot less "beaten up" at the end of a day than I would carrying everything including the kitchen sink. Someone I knew, now gone (at 83, fair innings!), did the same after a coronary and mini-stroke twenty-odd years ago and got ten more years fishing on the rivers. I showed him how to put all his gear into a flyfisher's "vest" and just carry a rod and a landing net (even took him flyfishing for trout and grayling too, which he loved). So, chin up, dalesman, you're not finished yet!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Neil,
I did think you had been a bit quiet recently, this explains it. I hope your recovery is as easy as possible.

There are commies and commies, they aren't all bad. There's probably only one in the area that I would be inclined to avoid, even though such fishing isn't usually my thing. As for poles, if you don't enjoy using them, don't bother. If I was given the choice of catching the same on a pole as on a rod and line, I'd use rod and line every time. However, the reality is that poles often prove a far more effective tool. I like catching fish, so I keep my options open. You don't have to buy or use poles at full length though. A half decent pole at no more than 11m is not the trial and test of endurance that long poles can be. Just because you have a 13/14.5/16m pole doesn't mean you have to use it at full length. I have a 9m elasticated whip and a 4m margin pole that see as much use as my long pole does.

P.S. the alternative for the river is to get a Richmond ticket and a fly rod.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Sorry about your troubles.
One of my favourite methods on still waters with a reasonable depth close in is using a long rod with a pole float. It is is even more enjoyable with a centre pin.
I am sure your long river rods would do the bis. I prefer this to getting a pole out which crucifies my back. Get a seat box with those side rod rests and you don't need to hold it all the while. With a centre pin you have a "bait runner" so no break offs when you reach for that coffee! Your feeder rods should do fine.
I don't know Leeming where you are but there must be a stretch of river with easy access somewhere within reasonable driving distance, even if its a bit further away and is regarded as a "treat".

jimlad

Reaction score
I used to fish the River Swale and a majority of the swims is a 16' drop to a bit flat banking 4 foot above the river.

Plus scooter and styles don't mix as the gates are usually padlocked to stop people leaving them open and livestock straying

Dalesman, sorry to hear about your news mate. Your not wrong about the swale, blooming banks collapsed all the time, reaching down to land fish, barbed wire fences, etc. I think the lower reaches of a river would be possible, like the lower tees or Ouse around York etc. other than that, it is hard work isn't it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rickrod

Reaction score
The river swale at cundall might be good for you . You can park your car behind your swim and some of the swims are flat plus its a day ticket.

Wilko

Reaction score
Dalesman,
I am really sorry to hear about your health but don't write off the rivers just yet. Do it the 'John Wilson' way Like Paule Boote said; pack just what you need into a fly vest and maybe a small carryall or backpack and tell yourself that if it don't fit, it ain't unnecessary.

I am lucky enough with my health to be able to lug any amount of gear about but to me part of the art of angling is going as light as possible. When I am going to be static on a lake/stillwater day session I usually take three rods but only physically carry a chair (with a mat strapped to it), a 2 rod bag and a carryall with only what I need in it as I prefer not to arrive stumbling at the peg with audible relief and dump everything down red-faced, sweaty and gasping for breath like others I have witnessed!

You appear to be a fighter and pretty philosophical about it all so If you re-think your approach and plan your bank access thoroughly I am sure you will find a way to carry on doing what you most enjoy rather than commiting yourself lock, stock and barrel solely to commercials.

terry m

Reaction score
Dalesman - sorry to hear of your troubles, as others have said, there is always a way if you look hard enough.

However, it does of course once again raise the question as to why we insist on carting so much kit about? I am as guilty as anyone, and on occasions when I vow to cut it back I still take too much.:eek:mg:

drakes

Reaction score
Regarding tackle to use on commies. I used to fish matches some 30 years ago but stopped fishing when I got married as I needed to spend all spare time improving house. Just returned a couple of years ago and now pleasure fish Meadowlands Nr Coventry. Didn't want to buy new kit so used what I had. I float fish mainly and use my 12' Bruce & Walker fibreglass match rod with a Shakespeare closed face reel and 5lb line. Catch loads of carp with plenty of double and so far 3 over 20lbs without any problems. Rod bends like a good'un but not really any snags so ok.

Dave

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your Maver rod will be fine for method and pellet feeder fishing on the commies and your 18ft rod could be used with a pole rig for fishing the margins off the rod tip.

I really like using a pole and have only used my 13m pole at full length once since buying it, I like to use it between 6 and 9m to reach close features like lily beds and I find the precision in plumbing up and feeding very satisfying.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):)sir im very sorry to read about your troubles i truly hope it
wont mean an end of your fishing,i also had a heart attack when
i was 63 did not drink alcahol did not smoke always kept fit but
thats life i guess it has left me with very bad erythmia i cant carry all the gear that i used to, so i got myself one of those
power walker 4 wheeled electric ranger trolleys simply brilliant
i am lucky i only live 15 min's walk from the river i cant fish all the swims that i once did but you have to adapt dont you.
Ido hope you can find a way to keep your fishing going.
All the very best to-you.
Hunters moon:):).