My friend Ron ''the hat''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Can there be anyone on F.M. unfamiliar with the name or the writing style.

What do you really know of the man? other than what you read on here.

Those of you who have met him on occasional get togethers will have developed impressions already of a polite gentle soul obsessed with fishing and the environment. All true of course, but there is much more to the man. Eccentricity is the base from which Ron operates and to most is an endearing quality, to a few very irritating, and as a result annoying.

Sure from time to time he is given to ''stirring the turd'' as he is given to say,but make no mistake his motives are invariably constructive rather than destructive. A man of expansive knowledge if at times a little off the wall, a loyal and trusted friend.

Angling and the world at large could use more people of Clay's ilk. Salute mate.

Anyone disagree, meet you outside Woodhall Services on the M.1. North at 9.30.tomorrow for a tearup.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Safety in numbers.

Map reference or postcode please Derek!!!!!!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Derek,

I've never been one who would not 'pick up the gauntlet when it has been cast' the problem in this instance is that I happen to agree with you 100%.

I count Ron as one of my best fishing friends, eccentric? YES.
A loyal and trusted friend - most definitely.

Just, don't tell him I said so, okay?

We don't agree on many things and yet I would be hard put to to find someone I'd rather spend a day or two on the river with.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Ron sounds a bit like my old mate Geoff Bucknall, who's moved oop North now to Barnard Castle.

Geoff is full of stories about the old days, when he and **** Walker, and one or two others, used to compete to see which of them would catch 1,000 rainbow trout first in any given season, or about certain "famous" fly tyers or anglers that he taught to tie flies or to cast.

Geoff created Sundridge Tackle, using a spare room in his house in Bromley, and with his Partners, turned it into one of the largest tackle companies in the UK at the time. He imported stuff from the far East, VMC hooks from France, Loomis blanks from the USA and, of course, he had his own range of "Twin Lakes" fly rods. Sundridge is still famous for its fishing clothing but seems to have moved away from the tackle trade, and now does other sports goods.

At one time he ran two 33' Sigmus sea fishing boats.

He will tell you about his experiences as a young teenager during the second World War, when he was bombed out and injured, or when, during the Battle of Britain, he saw a German Pencil Bomber (Dornier 17 I think?) crash into the hop fields in Kent where he lived.

He is more or less self educated, speaks 5 or6 languages and is a prolific writer and publisher of Angling Books, having written and had 18 or so published, and he is currently about to publish his autobiography, which should be an interesting read.

Geoff is well into his 70's now, still writing articles for the Fly Tyers Guild Magazine and for the Kent Branch of the S & TA newsletter.

We have had some great days fishing together.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Wish i could disagree with your sentiments Derek, unfortunately I wont be meeting you at Woodhall

He's a grand man, but bloody eccentric,

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I remember you from when I was a lad Derek...are you still a bit massive?

I will not be taking you up on your offer of a tear-up either...but not on that account/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I happen to agree with you

Ron is a one off....and I am honoured that I can call him a friend

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ah, good old Geoff Bucknall.

I am so pleased he is still with us because he is probably the last of the UKs great anglers of the 50s and 60s. An all-rounder too and a great amate of **** Walker, even though from the outside you would think they were deadly enemies.

But a lot of the arguements that appeared on the letter pages of various magazines beween Walker and Bucknall were contrived. One of the most contrived was the debate about hollow glass and how Geoff suggested that plugs be stuffed up the bore to prevent the glass turning ovular when subject to bending.

But there was method in old Geoff and ****'s madness!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Lee, yes still massive, unfortunately its all round the middle now!

I was right to do this bit even though I expected a few mickey mouse comments. Ron and I go back forty four years, If Ron does'nt like this piece we can have a good old barny later in the week when he comes round for dinner.

Standing invite to you as well Lee, when you visit your mum and dad.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I remember in the 60s when Derek used to drag me off to this gym in the middle of Sheffield - pushing weights.After that we used to go to a little restuarant and have a whopping great steak and salad.

Funnily enough I developed very strong wrists and arms which I am sure did wonders for my fly casting.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron knows well that I class him as a friend. I just wish I lived closer to him so that I could share his company more often from behind a rod.

The one thing I envy him for more than anything else is his phenomenal memory. He can recall things both recent and in the distant past in such detail it's truly astonishing, especially for a man of his age when most of us of similar age are struggling to remember what happened yesterday.

He does a good job of 'stirring the turd' but he never does it maliciously. He does indeed make a good friend and although I joke along with the rest about his phone calls, I'd miss them if they stopped.

I'll never forget the day he was presented with a fly rod from the Bone Collector, on that day he was truly moved, much more than any amount of his famous figs could have moved him. Nor will I forget his obvious joy on the day he 'escaped' from the care home to join us at the Idle fish-in.

This site would be so much poorer without his presence.

He really is a nice silly old bugger.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
His memory is certainly much better than mine. We were looking through some old Anglers Mail Annuals and Ron picked out all sorts of characters and events he either knew or remembered well. If my memory is correct and it probably isn't there was one photo taken by him in one of the annuals.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Deffo the Uncle Albert of angling.

During the...........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ay, and we know who bloody Delboy is don't we/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
At the risk of incurring the wrath of one Mr Clay, perhaps I should mention one of many examples of indescrete behavior by two now senior citizens. Like the time we set off for the Witham on a pike session. This was in the mid sixties remember when the roads were not conjested. On route I recall something rattling away beneath my seat, reaching down I produced a full bottle of ''Haighs Dimple Whisky'', what's this here I enquired,''a bit of warmth for the inner man came the reply. Well we caught fish and by the time we reached home the bottle was empty!! We were done but not by the law, makes me shudder now to think of the foolishness- but we were young bulls then.

F

Fred Bonney

Old Ron's alright.

We've had a few telephone chats, and he introduced me to the mighty Trent shortly after I moving up from down south.

Glad I know him. Thanks Ron

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Aye...Make the most of your friends...They don't last forever.

I have lost a fishing friend this week and its not feeling good....My mate Chad, the maker of mygutter-meshfeeders has gone to meet his maker....

Life is precious cherish it