If your wish could come true.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:)WHAT ANGLER PAST OR PRESENT WOULD YOU WISH TO SPEND A DAY WITH
AND WHY?.
AFTER THINKING ABOUT THE ANGLERS THAT HAVE MADE SUCH AN IMPRESSION ON ALL OF US AND HOW WE FISH THE LIKES OF RICHARD
WALKER,FRED J TAYLER,PETER STONE,ARCHIE BRADDOCKS,IVAN MARKS
BILLY LANE,JOHN ALLERTON TO NAME BUT A FEW,FOR ME IT WOULD NOT BE
AN EASY DECISION BUT I THINK IT WOULD HAVE TO BE JOHN ALLERTON
WHOSE MASTERY OF THE STICK FLOAT IS PURE GENIUS.
TIGHT LINES
HUNTERS MOON:):).

at the end of your fishing trip leave only footprints.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It would have to be J W Martin for me, I would love to watch his mastery of the tackle in vogue in the late 1800's. And since all who met him regarded him as a master angler, but more importantly a very nice gentle man. It would give me immense pleasure to tell him how his writings have influenced and comforted me throughout my own angling life.

Yes, the TRENT OTTER without a doubt.

C

chefster

Without a doubt,the most versatile ,all-round ,consistant match angler in the country-Mark Pollard,this guy is simply superb on any venue-rivers/tidals,lakes,commies,canals...In fact ,i,m going to book a days coaching with him ,next year-all being well....None of the old anglers really interest me,i,m sorry to say...Another angler who i am lucky enough to fish with is Kevin Folwell,the man is a pure genius in fishing terms,and has been for many years,he can charm fish out.......anywhere:D:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
****ie Carr - just so I could say thank you to his face.

I fished with ****y a few times earlier this year. On one match he was pegged next to me. As we arrived on our pegs he said " these are the two worst pegs on the lake!" Then proceeded to batter me large.
Saw him last Saturday in the tackle shop, he is fishing mainly canal matches now.

Keith M

Reaction score
:)WHAT ANGLER PAST OR PRESENT WOULD YOU WISH TO SPEND A DAY WITH
AND WHY?.
TIGHT LINES
HUNTERS MOON:):).

I would love to spend a day with 'ISSAC WALTON' and have a day fishing along his beloved river Lea and see what he thought of our modern tackle, rigs and methods that we use today.

B

binka

Robson Green, without a doubt.

In the vague hope of course that I could try and get him to acknowledge the inconvenience of having to avoid all his programmes in the vague hope that he might stop making them.

Other than that John Dean for the stick, Ivan Marks for his all round mastery and Frank Barlow for his funny wit :)

hunters moon

Reaction score
it would have to be j w martin for me, i would love to watch his mastery of the tackle in vogue in the late 1800's. And since all who met him regarded him as a master angler, but more importantly a very nice gentle man. It would give me immense pleasure to tell him how his writings have influenced and comforted me throughout my own angling life.

Yes, the trent otter without a doubt.

:):)i must agree with you about j w martin,i have only one of his books but when you read it there is a gentle calmness about his
writing also he seems to have had a strong affinity with the working man but for all his calmness you can tell from his writing he had such a passion for his fishing that is quite contagious.
Hunters moon:):).

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another for Peter Stone - no explanation needed.....................

PS Izaak, Keith? I don't think I'd understand a word he said................;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
:):)i must agree with you about j w martin,i have only one of his books but when you read it there is a gentle calmness about his
writing also he seems to have had a strong affinity with the working man but for all his calmness you can tell from his writing he had such a passion for his fishing that is quite contagious.
Hunters moon:):).

HM,
Yes, your comments are very accurate on all points. Martin often referred to the working man in the preface in several of his books. I am fortunate in having all his works on my bookshelves.
I know for a fact that **** Walker, Hugh Tempest Sherringham, Robert Bright Marston (editor of the old Fishing Gazzetes) held him in great esteem.
As for his passion, one only has to read the chapter, ''A winters day down the lower Trent'' from his book ''My fishing days and fishing ways'', to appreciate his passion for the sport. All the more amazing given his lack of education and brutal circumstances of his upbringing.
Yes a giant of angling literature.

flightliner

Reaction score
The Trent Otter (John Martin) every time for me along with "gentleman" George Sands-- late Sheffield national angler.

Last edited:

symonh2000

Reaction score
John Wilson, Go Fishing was one of my favorite fishing series when I first started.

Peter Stone.

I managed to meet Peter Stone when I was younger, he was fishing Witney lake.

He was a very nice, and helpful man.