Back to nature....

C

Chrisx Ess

When I was a boy (1960s for me) I was a member of a club in Birkenhead that had a really beautiful spot on the Severn, just south of Welshpool. There was a little tributary running into it called, I think, the Rooe. I've recently begun fishing again after a very long layoff, and I'm still looking to find somewhere half as beautiful. I now live in Hull, which doesn't help much. All I've seen around here are sterile carp puddles. Or haven't I looked in the right place? The bigger question though, is: where has all the nature gone? Is it still there? Reassure me somebody!!

E

EC

yip been to Warrington AA's Sandiway Lakes today mate (blanked) 2 sand quarries of 17 and 53 acres with none of this 'proper toilets and a cafe' rubbish, incidentally I come from Leasowe not far from B'head!

C

Chrisx Ess

Well, you know where Leasowe is, and so do I. I don't suppose many others do!
Today I went to a typical place, out in the East Riding sticks. It's one of those places where it's almost impossible to blank. Some days I've pulled a fish out every cast. They're quite small 1/2 - 2lbs. All the locals say the big uns don't wake up for another month or so.
This lake has got BARBEL in it - and chub...(weird!).
There's little or no vegetation - it's bare naked and the wind really howls over it...brrrrr.
I want nice warm days, dusty sunbeams, kingfishers and dragon flies, like there used to be on the Rooe!

C

Chris Bishop

Chris - I'd have thought an hour's drive would have you in striking distance of some of the Yorks rivers; Swale, Ure, Nidd, Ouse etc.

W

Willie John Russell

Hi Chris - I too know where Leasowe is and it's not Ferry far away!... Chris Bishop is right, Lovely Yorkshire rivers... Check Jim or Giles at Fish 'N' Things of Boroughbridge, their website... fish-n-things.co.uk

C

Chrisx Ess

Chris & Willie John - thanks for the replies. WJ - Rock on (I assume you'll get what I mean)...
I've not lived around here very long, and although I've got OS maps, it's difficult to know exactly where to go - cars have to be parked, tickets have to be bought etc. I'll certainly check out Fish'n'Things site.
The weekends are too brief to spend too much time on exploration. So many things to do (these days) and so little time!

W

Willie John Russell

Yeah!Rockin'. Glad to of been of help Chris. You may also like to check the Links page on that site - Angler's Net; Fisheries page.

R

Rob Brownfield

Come up here....every loch I fish is truely beautiful. Sunday I watched an Osprey fishing (Rare?..Never!!), deer on the far bank, a family of otters eating an eel, Great tits (oh err) feeding from pine cones, frogs getting "naughty", a dragon fly...very early for them, and..rarest of them all, a kingfisher feeding in the wee burn that runs into the loch. And thats all within 40 miles of Aberdeen. I have some truely stunning views up here...

C

Craig Smith

A couple of the pits I fish are barron lifeless places but thankfully it is only a couple. A few of the (sterlie) carp pits are more of a wildlife heaven than the natural pits. Even a few of the council looked after pits in the area have areas for wildlife, It has stopped anglers fishing the more secluded swims but it's a way to keep the anti's off our back.
I'm yet to see any dragonflies but I've heard those f@@@@@g frogs and yesterday I heard then spotted a woodpecker, considering the size of them they make a hell of a noise!!!. I've also seen squirel's (the illegal alien type)
Rob, I bet you's seen a few of the homegrown type up there?

G

Gerry Castles

There are some magic places all around you, even close to (and in) London. Having a boat can be a revelation, particularly in the winter when you can have long stretches of rivers and other waterways to yourself. Even East London canals which as a boy I thought were the pits, have their own particular charm viewed from the water rather than the bank. Every kind of wildlife and fish you can imagine. A six pound salmon was caught in Limehouse Basin on sweetcorn two weeks ago.

C

Chrisx Ess

Thanks Chris... I'll definitely try that.

I went somewhere new (to me) today - Baker's Pond, Newport, near Hull. Excellent place, well-stocked, well-established. Owned and run by a wonderful old bloke of 92. Nice day, sunny. I wonder how much of my original angst when I started this thread off was due to me pining after the summer?