Witney/Ducklington lake

symonh2000

Reaction score
As a Witney resident, I used to fish the Witney/Duck Bypass pit on a regular basis, but never really caught all that much other than a few Pike, perch and chub.

I last fished it around 15 years ago, and had a few pike, but has anyone else fished it recently and how did it fish?

Also is the water still rented by Witney Angling society?

Cheers
Simon

rossco15

Reaction score
Am local to yourself, live in Carterton currently. Know of a chap who fishes the place and has had some good carp and tench out. Lots of pike come out too apparently. Think a lot of the fish have gone missing over the years because of various reasons(wont mention any so not to cause debate). If you can put the time in and find the fish they're certainly there to be caught.
Good luck
Ross

symonh2000

Reaction score
Hello Ross,

Me and my mate went down there, we did manage one small Pike between us. One thing I did notice was that the lake is stuffed full of Perch. Some pretty good sized ones as well.

I think a lot of the fish could have escaped when the river next to the lake flooded, among other reasons. ;)

We were the only ones fishing, but there were lots of people walking dogs, and there was dog mess everywhere. :(

rossco15

Reaction score
Agreed among other reasons. Well I'm glad there's still some fish in there. As I said I know one chap who's had carp to 20lb plus and good sized tench. Where else do you fish in the area? And what for?

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have been on a bit of abreak from Fishing. We used to Fish Linch Hill, Newland AC's waters, the windrush near witney and a couple of commercial carp waters near banbury.

rossco15

Reaction score
Yea know most of those places, well I hope you have plenty of luck now you've got back into a great sport

symonh2000

Reaction score
The river windrush doesn't appear to be as good as it once was. It is permanently cloudy, there are no minnows and it is full of crayfish. :(

rossco15

Reaction score
There's not a lot left in the windrush, for a number reasons again. Don't think it's just the windrush though a lot of rivers have suffered this year. Thames isn't what it was 4-5 years ago. A friend fishes the Bristol Avon regularly and has noticed the decline in fish numbers. Is a sad state of affairs when it comes to rivers in this region of the country at the moment