Watching the weather

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand that many anglers can't pick and choose the times they get to go fishing. Many will go regardless of what the weather is doing, has been doing or is forecast to do. Others, and I'm not knocking them for it, are fairweather anglers. However, I've learned an awful lot about watching the weather this year and have been able to plan round it and take advantage of favourable weather. That doesn't necessarily mean "good" weather though. Today's weather hasn't exactly been good but I rather hope it is going to be favourable. I've picked my spot based on current wind and how it's due to shift. I also came a day early to catch the "best" of the low pressure. Sadly, I know that fishing doesn't always work to plan though and I may well blank despit being fairly confident I've got it right. How many of those in FM land keep a close eye on past weather, current weather and forecast weather to pick their times, venues, pegs, tactics etc etc?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I am lucky to be able to choose when to take some time off to fish and try to choose what i think are best weather conditions and to avoid fishing at weekends if it is a popular water. In summer i look for warm, dull, overcast mornings for the tench a bit of drizzle or wind too, and avoid bright sunny weather. On the rivers i am looking for recent rain to give colour, but i would aim to fish after a spate has subsided. In winter looking for a few days of mild weather and warming water temperature.

Many times though the trip is planned well in advance - especially if going with a mate.

pidgergj

Reaction score
unfortunately i fall into the category of not being able to choose when i fish most of the time, and can only go once a week at the minute due to family and work commitments. there are odd occasions when i can plan ahead but the majority of the time i will only know the day before. so for me its a case of hoping the conditions suit rather than planning to catch the right conditions.

roll on retirement in 38 years time :D

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):)I HAVE KEPT A RECORD BOOK IN MY FISHING HOLDALL AND PUT DOWN
THE WEATHER,WIND,WATER TEMP/AIR TEMP/ETC/ETC I FIND IT HELPS TO
MAKE AN IMFORMED CHOICE AS TO WHAT PART OF THE RIVER MAY GIVE YOU
YOUR BEST CHANCE OF SUCESS.
TIGHT LINES
HUNTERS MOON:).

at the end of your fishing trip leave only footprints.

B

binka

Similar to above it's more a case for me of keeping an eye on the weather as an indication of how the fishing might go as i'm limited by work as to when I can fish although I will get out regardless when the weather's bad.

nicepix

Reaction score
Even though I am retired I still have commitments and sometimes fitting fishing around them means that I don't get to go on days when it would seem to be ideal for fishing. So I'll choose where to fish and what for dependent on the weather. Many stillwater swims only respond if the wind is 'right' for them and it would be futile fishing them when the wind is 'wrong'. Similarly the angle of the sun has a big effect on where carp, catfish and barbel are likely to be at any one time of day on sunny days.

Most times I have a place in mind when I set off, but I'll rarely go straight there. I'll have a drive around and a walk to alternative swims to check them out before making the final decision.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can fish any day of the week, so I avoid weekends. Generally Tuesday and Thursday are my days though but I won't go if the weather is foul, those days are long gone!

sam vimes

Reaction score
For those with restricted time, beyond the immediate weather conditions when you are due to go, do you take any notice of what the weather has been doing prior to your trip, or how it might develop while you're out?

aebitim

Reaction score
I find weather maps more usefull than forcasts, and plan accordingly. Fishing time for me is 50% when I can and 50% when I like. Living on the coast brings in the added factor of tides (this evening is spot on for opportunist bass fishing) but I am fishing with another at the weekend so its hobsons as far as weather goes.
A long running discussion with a Fish farming friend is whether a native american who only goes fishing when the conditions are right is a better fisherman than someone who fishes when they can. The native of course catches more fish but. . . .

B

binka

For those with restricted time, beyond the immediate weather conditions when you are due to go, do you take any notice of what the weather has been doing prior to your trip, or how it might develop while you're out?

I try to wherever I can as I know it will likely influence the fishing and how I might approach it but all too often during the week it's a case of grabbing the gear when a chance comes along.

It's interesting trying to predict when other factors start to come in to things like the rain we've recently had giving the rivers a bit of a boost, combined with the unwelcomed rising pressure again over the weekend although I think (hope!) a few extra inches of water and some much needed colour will overcome this.

Ps... This post went strangely missing for eight minutes, it didn't show after first posting and eventually showed up at 11.17 even though the forum index page registered it at 11.09?

Stranger than fiction... :)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score

Yes. I always check the forecast and take into account the previous day's conditions.

daji

Reaction score
i have very restricted time for fishing so i'm just happy to get out regardless of previous weather conditions. Having said that, there will be occasions when i will more than likely have to cancel due to bad weather until i get the correct gear to fish comfortably warm and dry.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
not sure I really know what favourable conditions are ? Other than the warmer the more they bite , unless they are spawning.

Factors might be , light , pressure, wind but other than light and temp not really sure what I am looking for.

sam vimes

Reaction score
i have very restricted time for fishing so i'm just happy to get out regardless of previous weather conditions. Having said that, there will be occasions when i will more than likely have to cancel due to bad weather until i get the correct gear to fish comfortably warm and dry.
I'd suggest that taking note of the weather can significantly improve your choices and success rates, even if you can't pick and choose your times.

not sure I really know what favourable conditions are ? Other than the warmer the more they bite , unless they are spawning.

Factors might be , light , pressure, wind but other than light and temp not really sure what I am looking for.
As a bald statement, I wouldn't agree "the warmer the more they bite" except in very general terms. I'd go as far as avoiding really warm/hot weather like the plague unless you can do dawn, dusk or nights. Hot sunny days are lovely to be out in but they don't usually yield the best fishing results. Personally, I'll look primarily at wind direction. I'm interested in which direction it's been blowing previously, at present and future, the latter being particularly relevant if I'm staying more than just the day. Getting settled in one place with fish in front of you is great, but if the wind changes on you and drags all the fish to the other end of the lake, you have wasted your time. As for pressure, I'm generally looking for low pressure systems. However, rapid changes are often the real aim, primarily from high to low but low to high is usually better than no change at all.

nicepix

Reaction score
I'd suggest that taking note of the weather can significantly improve your choices and success rates, even if you can't pick and choose your times.

As a bald statement, I wouldn't agree "the warmer the more they bite" except in very general terms. I'd go as far as avoiding really warm/hot weather like the plague unless you can do dawn, dusk or nights. Hot sunny days are lovely to be out in but they don't usually yield the best fishing results. Personally, I'll look primarily at wind direction. I'm interested in which direction it's been blowing previously, at present and future, the latter being particularly relevant if I'm staying more than just the day. Getting settled in one place with fish in front of you is great, but if the wind changes on you and drags all the fish to the other end of the lake, you have wasted your time. As for pressure, I'm generally looking for low pressure systems. However, rapid changes are often the real aim, primarily from high to low but low to high is usually better than no change at all.

I think that the worst scenario is a large dollop of high pressure sitting over the area for days especially in winter. Clear skies, no wind and not much chance of catching anything. I think that a lot of this is to do with the way that flies hatch. If the conditions don't suit the ascending lava retreat back to the bottom. When conditions are right they continue to ascend and hatch, during which time they are intercepted by feeding fish such as roach.

The periods around the new and full moons tend to be more settled weather with clear skies. Once you get four days either side it becomes more mixed and as you say, change of weather is generally good for fishing.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
The Swallows in the stables are still here 'bringing off' the last hatching, (2 pairs), the young are flying about but not for long periods.

To me that means we're in for an 'Indian Summer' for a few weeks/days before much longer, nature always knows and they won't leave until conditions are right.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Swallows in the stables are still here 'bringing off' the last hatching, (2 pairs), the young are flying about but not for long periods.

To me that means we're in for an 'Indian Summer' for a few weeks/days before much longer, nature always knows and they won't leave until conditions are right.
Here's a coincidence. I was about to post a swallows/martins thread as, fir the first time since their arrival, I've not seen a single bird on this particular fishing trip. It'll be interesting to see if there are any to be seen in tomorrow's forecast good weather.

flightliner

Reaction score
Isnt it around the fourteenth of october that we tend to see the last of the swallows ,martins etx.

nicepix

Reaction score
They've left the Charente already. And the cranes are heading back south. And more to the point, I've had to light a fire this evening. Indian summer my arris!