way you think about your fishing.
mine would have to include BILLY LANE'S encyclopaedia of float fishing,
RICHARD WALKERS Stillwater angling and ARCHIE BRADDOCK'S fantastic
feeder fishing.
tight lines
HUNTERS MOON:).

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Anything by JW Martin,(no surprise there eh)

No need ti lie, **** Walker.

Drop me a line, **** Walker.

Fishing for big Pike, Rickard's and Webb.

Bream and Barbel, Peter Stone.

Quest for Carp, Jack Hilton.

Coarse Fishing, HT Sherringham (beautifully written).

For the record I do have a number of more recent angling books on my book shelves, but find myself returning to the above listed books repeatedly. Surely that defines magic, unless I'm trapped in a time warp. :)

hunters moon

Reaction score
Anything by JW Martin,(no surprise there eh)

No need ti lie, **** Walker.

Drop me a line, **** Walker.

Fishing for big Pike, Rickard's and Webb.

Bream and Barbel, Peter Stone.

Quest for Carp, Jack Hilton.

Coarse Fishing, HT Sherringham (beautifully written).

For the record I do have a number of more recent angling books on my book shelves, but find myself returning to the above listed books repeatedly. Surely that defines magic, unless I'm trapped in a time warp. :)
I don't think you can be as I have just finished J.H.R,BAZLEYS coarse fishing
for the umpteenth time. HM:)

ravey

Reaction score
Ivan Marks' Match Fishing, Floatfishing
Bob roberts' Complete Book of Legering
Fred Foster's Swingtipping

All books that have made a big difference to my catches over the years, and which provoked plenty of thought...

chav professor

Reaction score
Another vote for Mr Crabtree. :thumbs:

Yup... brings back memories of reading sitting in front of the gas fire around my nan and grandads whilst Corrie, Arena, This is your life... or some some other unwatchable T.V. was on. or under the sheets by torch light.

It was pure escapism - it took me away to exotic rivers with all their unusual inhabitants. As a child, fishing trips were rare.... crabtree was the nearest next best thing!

Favourite bits? the page of american and british plugs... and the perch...'STRIKE'!

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
In respect of actually inspiring me into and along as a junior angler, I can't remember the exact title, but a little paperback book on pike from Woolies by Barry Rickards and another fellow who's name also escapes me. That and a paperback titled Coarse Fishing, the author of which I cannot remember. Also a couple of library books, one by Peter Wheat and one by Peter Stone. I can't remember the titles of those either. Early issues of Angling Times.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
All the usual culprits such as Walker et al but my favourite author must be H T Sheringham....
In fact I'm in Wigan at present for my sins (family visit one/year!) and I bought with me 'An Open Creel' for company.
I never tire of his writings and admit to envy of his way with words, deep sense of humour and light sarcasm which invariably brings a smile to my face. He is without doubt the one person who has instilled the 'fish for enjoyment but always do your best' approach to fishing...........

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
All the usual culprits such as Walker et al but my favourite author must be H T Sheringham....
In fact I'm in Wigan at present for my sins (family visit one/year!) and I bought with me 'An Open Creel' for company.
I never tire of his writings and admit to envy of his way with words, deep sense of humour and light sarcasm which invariably brings a smile to my face. He is without doubt the one person who has instilled the 'fish for enjoyment but always do your best' approach to fishing...........

I've heard this author's name many times over the years but never come across any of his books to have a read of. Are they easily obtained?

john step

Reaction score
Another Crabtree fan as this stirred something that has lasted. Smells are also evocative. Anyone remember the waxy smell that a brand new keepnet used to give off ?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Crabtree - as everyone else. I still have the both the edited & unedited one with the Pike being gaffed :-(. But I read them from cover to cover so many times.

Also Quest for Carp - really love this book, and liked quite a lot of the early John Bailey / Roger Miller stuff.

terry m

Reaction score
Some of the previously mentioned authors, Walker, Stone etc would do it for me. Add Turner & Davies - Mega Pike the Return.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
When I was young it was Crabtree's Perch and Pike books - I never saw any of the others then. The bit about finding an "eddy" for Perch - I have never been able to look in any river without searching some out, and i rarely fish for Perch!. I also remember reading BB Confessions of a Carp Fisher from a library as a teenager (mid-late 70s).

Also remember the Ladybird and Observer books on Coarse Fishing - the Observer one had a beaten Perch making its way to the net - and i wanted one like that.

I ended up just following the Angling Time/Mail or a monthly - Coarse Fisherman (David Hall era) was my favourite. That was until i read a couple of John Bailey's books when i was living in Norwich. His "Roach-The Gentle Giants" was a major inspiration for a few years.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've heard this author's name many times over the years but never come across any of his books to have a read of. Are they easily obtained?

My favourite top three Angling writer of all time - compelling voice, wonderful sensibilty, incomparable stylist without appearing to be trying that hard. His titles in their first editions are pricey nowadays (I got mine long before the man was canonized in Waterlog some years ago), but his two best - An Open Creel and An Angler's Hours are available online and free to download from the University of California Library. Fine reading.

Here they are:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/64261#page/1/mode/1up

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/76368#page/1/mode/1up

drakes

Reaction score
I also enjoyed Mr Crabtree, but the book (and the person) that inspired me to understand the rewards gained from precise control of your tackle (no puns) was
Encyclopaedia of Float Fishing by Billy Lane. As a youngster I use to talk to him in his Coventry shop and he would give me lots of ideas and encouragement.

Dave

bennygesserit

Reaction score
My favourite top three Angling writer of all time - compelling voice, wonderful sensibilty, incomparable stylist without appearing to be trying that hard. His titles in their first editions are pricey nowadays (I got mine long before the man was canonized in Waterlog some years ago), but his two best - An Open Creel and An Angler's Hours are available online and free to download from the University of California Library. Fine reading.

Here they are:

An open creel / - Biodiversity Heritage Library

An angler's hour / - Biodiversity Heritage Library

These are charming they show both how fishing has changed a great deal and also not at all