I'm Infuriated, 95% untrue

blandford-esq

Reaction score
For ever its annoyed me, When watching a TV program/DVD/Video or listening to instruction. The person on camera, etc, having hooked a fish and then finding it hard to unhook, cuts the line down to a minimum and the fish returned, then those immortal words are spoken "dont worry that fish will soon throw the hook itself".......WHAT A LIE!!!!!!!! who are you trying to kid a fish will never throw a barbed or even micro-barbed hook and theres only the slightest chance that a barbless hook could be thrown. fish only throw hooks during the fight because they are either torn out or not hooked correctly. In my 30 years of fishing, I have caught fish retaining old hooks which I have cut and taken out, we must do more, it is posible to get micro sized wire cutters with long reach shafts that are used in the craft industry, thay do the job great. It is very rare that I return a fish with a hook, and if I do I feel bad as I know it isn't going to throw it, I'll stand up and be counted, I harmed that fish. our sport has drawbacks and this is one of them. be honest, admit it, fish do retain hooks!!! and anyone who say they don't is a lier and to ashamed to admit the truth.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Sometimes it is best to leave it.......ok the fish may not throw it, but it will go........the fishes body will sort it.

But if you can remove the hooks by cutting....eg with pike then yes, i agree we should......no, must.

I think we should word this very carefully?

Incedently, i remember chatting to John Sidley years ago, he caught a large eel, deep hooked and was worried it would die....he cut the trace and put the eel in his bath......he told me the following mornig the hook was out and in the bath?

I didn't see it, so i cannot say i witnesed it.

M

MarkTheSpark

I'm with blandford on this one - hooks take months to rust away, and the idea that they will magically fall out is nonsense.

As you say Paul, you've got to tread very lightly with this one, since we don't know who's reading this. I've changed my mind. Of course they fall out...

B

Bill Cox

I think this is a sea fishing thing which has somehow been carried over to the freshwater anglers. Fine wire hooks in salt water will rust extremely quickly and i think this is what the saying refers too.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A few interesting points here.

I only use barbless hooks on waters where it is the rule. On all other waters I use barbed hooks where the barb has been pinched down with fine pliers. The hooks come out easier.

Fish like small perch and eels which have more than a tendency to swallow the hook, can be a problem.

slime monster

Reaction score
a chap recently caught the monster 80lb catfish ...and banked a mythycal fish that hadsnapped all lines before him ...interestingly no mention of its mouth being festooned with hooks

paul i heard a similaraccount of four small eels in a bucket shedding hooks

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Mark......i don't believe they rust away........i believe the weekest piont,eg the barb,is eroded away, by the fishes body protection system..., the rest, tho in a lesser state of decompisition then falls away.

All i will add is don't go to deep and use a sensible set up with trebles.

Incedently....a few years back, a niece squeezed a bump she had on her leg....she was 14 and had had the bump for at least years...........when she squeezed a complete sewing needle emerged from her leg.....................no pain, no nothing, just totall amazement from all of us...............nature is a wonderful thing?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The same thing happened to a nursing friend of my late wife. The needle in this case was 2 inches long!! It was put on exhibit in the museum in the nurses home in Johannesburg General Hospital.

blandford-esq

Reaction score
Ok, I to have heard of sowing needles lodged in a person only to emurge several years later, But can I point out that for those instances to of accured the needle did not rust away and was helped out!

All my point is we must do all we can to remove the hook not just assume the hook will disappear and If while on camera a hook is unrettrivable and the fishing personality can't bring themselves to admit the true situation of the catch why don't they just have a word with the production "EDITOR" and not treat me like an idiot.

Also, Paul (brummie) williams as for the antis reading our threads, don't you think they've already thought of that one. it dosen't matter how you word things they will always make things sound the way the want them to.

Cut the hook, take it out!

T

Tony Rocca

So how come you sometimes hook a good fish that gets snagged up, goes solid.

You try for 5 mins, letting it go slack, then upstream, then downstream, finally it comes free..............but the fish has gone......... Must have hands then!

Fish do throw hooks, or I would be catching loads of barbel on the Trent with hooks inthat have been broke off when the match guys hook em and get bust off........ all the time.

I can only remember catching two barbel in the last few years with hooks already in their mouths, and they were both small, 16/18, and still shiney.

blandford-esq

Reaction score
Tony, did you read my first post? I DID say fish throw hooks when you PLAY them but this is from bad hooking or torn out. If a fish gets snagged up its shear bulk cant be pulled through a snag, the hook gets torn and then snags again going solid, the fish is long gone with a torn lip. You are just left pulling the snag.

I'm not complaining about what hook the fish retained or what colour. I'm complaining that Fishing personalitys pretend on camera that fish throw hooks that the angler can't disgourge. ITS COBBLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have also admitted catching fish that have retained hooks that haven't rusted which is exactly my point!

F

Frothey

so if you've deep hooked an eel (for example) and cant see the hook, how do you make sure you are only cutting the hook, not flesh?

the reason knitting needles dont rust is that most are plastic coated. its only the bit of the hook thats in the fish that needs to rust anyway.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
I'm with Tony on this. How many fish do you hook with size 18s in their lips and how many do you hook with size 4s left in them? They do shed hooks, especially when they're in the front of the mouth.

As for wrestling to free a hook from deep down a fish's throat - don't go there. Striking quicker helps!!!!

njb51

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Greg Whitehead wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"I'm with Tony on this................."</blockquote>
STOP PRESS!!!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The chances are that if a fish is deep hooked you will kill it trying to get it out, not immediately, it will swim away and then die because the swim bladder has been damaged. I, like most anglers have caught fish with old hooks in their mouths but it doesn't seem to bother the fish and they are still feeding as normal but maybe they do eventually disgard them who knows.

You all have your theories on what happens but I wouldn't mind betting a few quid non of you know what the hell happens after it is released, you are either guessing or relating oft quoted theories.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
I've caught plenty of fish wirth small hooks in them from bright shiny ones to rusty old numbers. But I've rarely caught fish with sizeable hooks left in them.

I hooked and lost a Nene barbel that smashed my mainline while fishing a running feeder set-up. I caught another barbel from the same spotten days later with the same size and brand of hook in its bottom lip. Interestingly the hooklink, bead and swivel had already gone and just left the hook. I suspect that bottom feeding fish lose hooks quicker than, say, chub or perch.

In my experience eels and perch are the biggest problem for deep-hooking. Perch are a nightmare because they feed by inhaling the bait in one go. Larger barbless hooks are far, far easier to get out of their throats, while barbed are virtually impossible to retrieve. It's the one instance I favour barbless over barbed.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If you give a hooked chub slack line, it won't be hooked for long. OK, chub have a reputation for knowing how to use each and every twig in their territory as a disgorger, but I suspect that all fish know how to get sharp things out of their mouths by chewing at weed, twigs, etc. They have, after all, been eating spiny, defended prey since before the dinosaurs evolved; just because we can't figure out how they lose fish-bones, perch-spines, thorns in caddis cases etc. doesn't mean theycan't.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I remember reading an article by the late John Sidley about the time he had a deep hooked eel; John but the eel in a bath ?? overnight not really expecting the fish to survive but surprisingly the hook was out and the eel wasreturned to the water from where it came.

Please don't ask about the bath /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Another time i had a tench with line coming out of it's vent, a gentle pull on the line revealed a hook about size 12

I'm not condoning the practice, but one NE match angler would target eels in matches (that's when the chances of catching anything else from the Wear were very slim) and cut the hook length on every one he landed. He said it was quicker than trying to unhook every eel. What cost pools money /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

C

Coops

Hooks in freshwater certainly do not deteriorate as fast as in saltwater. I hooked a pike a number of times while pole fishing for roach on the Nene when it attacked hooked fish.

I landed the same 10lb fish 3 times in two sessions aweek apart. On the first week I landed it twice, walking it 100 yards up the bank to release it and it just kept coming back, so i knew the fish well. It snapped me off a 3rd time.

The following week I hooked and landed the fish again still with my size 20 from last week embedded in the point of its nose and looking as pristine as when I tied it on the previous week. The area on the pike where it was hooked looked a bit swollen and sore though.

Carpless

Reaction score
I don't know, cause i haven't fished for pike, but can't you pop their stomaches into their mouths in order to remove the trebles when deep hooked? I've heard they just fall back into place.