Started fishing again after 42 years.

mike938

Reaction score
Got married in 1971 and stopped fishing completely, until now. Just got hooked again and sorted some new and legal gear from various outlets and I'm good to go. Started at a few commercial fisheries locally but couldn't wait to get back on the rivers. Been on the middle Severn a few times and on the Wye at Mordiford chasing those elusive Barbel, but only managed a few small chub. Spent the day at Trimpley, on the Severn yesterday and blanked. Not one to give up so easily, off to the Wye again this week for a few days and determined to catch Barbel. Surely, it can't be that difficult??? Anyway, I will hopefully have some better news in the next few months and look forward to sharing my experiences with you. You may have noticed that the word "luck" has not been used, I just need a little more experience and may be looking for a few tips from some of you experts.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I hope it's the start of a great time for you Mike......not to shabby having the Wye close by and as good a place as any for that barbell!

Good luck to you..

ps If you decide to join Anglers Trust best keep it to yourself......

daji

Reaction score
welcome to the forum :thumbs:
seems that alot of people return to angling after a break although 42 years is some break :eek: anyway hope you enjoy it ;)

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi Mike.
I returned after 25 years and how this sport has changed.
I fished all the waters you mentioned previously but I now live in somerset but I will get back to the midlands-can't wait.
Tight lines:):)

hunters moon

Reaction score
:w welcome back MIKE like you I am a new member also mad about fishing
the middle SEVERN I wish you the best of luck in your quest for BARBEL.

tight lines
hunters moon:):)

at the end of your fishing trip leave only footprints.

mike938

Reaction score
Got married in 1971 and stopped fishing completely, until now. Just got hooked again and sorted some new and legal gear from various outlets and I'm good to go. Started at a few commercial fisheries locally but couldn't wait to get back on the rivers. Been on the middle Severn a few times and on the Wye at Mordiford chasing those elusive Barbel, but only managed a few small chub. Spent the day at Trimpley, on the Severn yesterday and blanked. Not one to give up so easily, off to the Wye again this week for a few days and determined to catch Barbel. Surely, it can't be that difficult??? Anyway, I will hopefully have some better news in the next few months and look forward to sharing my experiences with you. You may have noticed that the word "luck" has not been used, I just need a little more experience and may be looking for a few tips from some of you experts.
What a great welcome and thanks to you all.

sampras43

Reaction score
I'm also new to FM Mike, and have also just started again this season after stopping in 1986.

Welcome..