How did everyone get on then?

C

chefster

Nice going again Steve, I managed to get on an open match on saturday at Tofts Carp Lake at Rugby,we fished 12-5 pm,i managed 65-0-0 of carp to 4lb on 4 mm expanders over a bed of mixed salted pellet,at 2+2,unfortunately there were 3 other weights in front of me,so i did,nt make the frame,but it was a good afternoon,in good company and it stayed dry,15 fished,i,m out weds and thurs this week,on matches...Cheers then Chef

nicepix

Reaction score
Bit of bad luck that - catching a slimy bream on your last chuck and having a smelly landing net to put up with all the way home. I'd have shook it off :D

I managed a few hours on the farm pond on Friday evening. The plan was to catch some small fish for use as deadbaits today (Sunday). Didn't go as planned. A 6lb mirror took the maize bait on the way down first cast and ran half the length on the pond due to my only having a 2lb hook length on. Normally I catch little 'uns for the first hour then the bigger ones move into the swim. If I want to catch bigger ones from the off I take the dog for a walk and put some groundbait in an hour or two before I'm due to start fishing.

I got another wildy of around 4lb before settling into my deadbait selection routine. Last cast resulted in a lovely wild common of around 8lb maybe a touch more that ran and shook its head like a trout. Great fun on an old cane rod and ancient Trudex centrepin.

It is easy fishing too. I place my chair on a flat bit of grass next to the dam wall, my landing net rests on the wall and acts as my rod rest and I just have a small tub of chopped maize and pellet groundbait and a few whole grains of maize as hook bait. All the terminal tackle, floats, etc are in my pockets. If I cast straight ahead I catch carp. If I cast to the left of the swim I catch roach and by swapping the maize for an artificial maggot I can catch tiny roach.

I froze the deadbaits individually on a baking tray and then bagged them up in twos and threes, the fingerling roach for zander and the carp for catfish. It's the predator season now in France hence the plethora of little plastic boats stringing along the deep water marks of the large public lakes.

I was hoping to use the deadbaits today, but I had an emergency mole catching job to do in the morning which put me behind and then painting the hall of the new house took longer than expected so in the end I hadn't time to fish :(

The forecast looks good for Tuesday so I might get off then.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bit of gentle trotting on the river for roach Friday morning, even took the old digi to contribute to this thread, here's the smallest one:wh - Tuesday next for something different

RoachKen_zpsf65d0305.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished @ Old Windsor today on the father. Gin clear but flowing nicely. Fished wagg and magg most of the day, ( pole 13m. line was full of weed ) 2lb 12 of dace, roach and gudgeon for a pitiful last in section...
Biggest fish caught was a 1lb 14oz roach. Winner had 13lb+, mainly roach.
Great day out at a stunningly beautiful venue in perfect autumn weather.
14 fished.

john step

Reaction score
Had one last go at the tench as the weather was so warm despite my thoughts to go for something else. I caught just the one, a nice sized female. Also some thumping good perch on dead maggots. Now I must really sort my pike gear out ready for the cooler weather.

aebitim

Reaction score
Spent a day on the Hants Avon with an old friend fishing a new stretch to me, walked a lot and fished a few swims, drank loads of kelly kettle tea and even caught a few fish. Surprised to find the water slightly coloured and the level only a few inches below normal.
Still hunting the bass but whilst others are catching them I can only manage pollock

neil1970

Reaction score
My mate and I spent the morning trotting the Gade.

I managed a minnow on 2 maggots:D & two small roach on bread punch, he got a rudd.

:wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
After the river last Friday took advantage of the warm weather Tuesday for some decent gravel pit carp up in the water.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My mate and I spent the morning trotting the Gade.

I managed a minnow on 2 maggots:D & two small roach on bread punch, he got a rudd.

:wh

Neil, I think I know who you are now. Didn't you work in my local pub and speak to me and Dave at Harefield tackle about day ticket and free fishing around Ricky?

neil1970

Reaction score
hi peter, no not me I'm afraid, although a couple of weeks ago, just after joining, I did notice a gentleman dangling a feathery lure off the bridge where the river meets the canal behind tescos, and for a moment wondered if it was you.

I'm sure our paths will cross one day:)

tozer

Reaction score
I've given up lumping the kit about and just dropped on forn 45 minutes a time on light lures, fishing the avon at Rugby, and the Sense at South Wigston I've had 20 chub on soft plastics, 3oz to 1lb along with half a dozen small perch.

Bream and roach next week, on the feeder and pole

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not Fishing Whilst Rome Burns nowadays, but mostly occasionally finding then looking hard and long and thinking "Well ... maybe ... when the leaves have gone through and the others have either missed them or got bored. But purely for the personal, private Memory Bank, of course....".

tozer

Reaction score
Not Fishing Whilst Rome Burns nowadays, but mostly occasionally finding then looking hard and long and thinking "Well ... maybe ... when the leaves have gone through and the others have either missed them or got bored. But purely for the personal, private Memory Bank, of course....".

Nah, unzip it and bragg.

tozer

Reaction score
Thank you for that, tozer. I am sure that your Escape / Flee the Country friends in France will thank you for it, too.

We are all guilty of it, I have had a lot of enjoyment catching small fish on lures, and a lot of us like to put up what we catch, especially when we do something new and it works better than we thought it would.

I'll get some reports up of how I get on, or in other words 'get it unzipped'.

tozer

Reaction score
Two words that might take you a long way: Albert Drachkovitch.

Hommage aux grands noms de la pêche: Albert DRACHKOVITCH |

The man who (re)invented lure fishing in France and Europe and with whom I once spent a few days, when, on his first ever trip, he was reinventing Indian mahseer fishing. Genius fisher, lure and fly.

Call me daft, but lure fishing has always bored me senseless, I get it wrong and blank a lot of the time, 30 minutes and I am thinking if I had bait.....

But trying some of the mini stuff I have found some instant action, and an inclination to learn more.

I have just dabbled on free venues, and it's been instant. My heart lies in sea fishing, but I am living 175 miles from good fishing. Other than that I do enjoy fishing the feeder for bream and fishing canals. Not catching anything spectacular but keeping myself thinking.