Pole - Hook line strengths ??

magicone

Reaction score
Having been given a 3mt Margin and 11mt Pole with Yellow and Red elastics.

I've also been given assorted number of Float rigs already made up with size 14 hooks, some are marked up with 3.7lb line.

The ponds I generally fish on have assorted fish with Carp up to approx 11lb.

I generally fish with rod and reel with 8lb mainline and 6lb hook length.

So my question, should I use hook lengths of 6lb or would the ready made pole rigs of 3.7lb be OK with the elastics as above.

thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
Colour is no indication of elastic rating. Colours vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even range to range of one manufacturer.

I'd ask whoever gave you the poles as to what rating the elastics are. If you get no joy, or there is any sign of wear and tear on the elastic, I'd buy new and start again knowing exactly what you've got.

C

chefster

Without knowing the grade/strength of the elastic ,we cant really give you an answer,chef

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
Usually (Drennan, Daiwa Hydro, Maver for example), red is the next to strongest grade. Yellow normally a couple of steps down from that. I'm assuming, by the way, that these are hollow elastics, which are normally fitted to margin poles. You can use the pole rigs with 3.7lb line with both - it's better suited to yellow, however, and if you hook a lump on the red, you'll have a job on your hands unless it's in open water. It is surprising what you can land on elastic on finer lines, though. My biggest was a 17lb mirror on a 3.2 lb hooklength.

C

chefster

Personally i would never give advice,based purely on colours of elastic ,there are to many differences-ie yellow hydro is 3-5, yellow middy is 8-10,yellow maver dual core is 6-10...red preston is 11h,red hydro is 16+...etc,Chef

magicone

Reaction score
Been told the Yellow is a No.16 and the Red is a No.20, both are hollow.

From these sizes of elastics, I'm using 6lb line through to a 14 hook with the No.16 and 8lb through to a 14 hook on the No.20

From these sizes of elastics and lines, realistically what size fish could I expect to land.

Thanks

C

chefster

Been told the Yellow is a No.16 and the Red is a No.20, both are hollow.

From these sizes of elastics, I'm using 6lb line through to a 14 hook with the No.16 and 8lb through to a 14 hook on the No.20

From these sizes of elastics and lines, realistically what size fish could I expect to land.

Thanks

With those set-ups,providing you,re pole is strong enough,you,ll land anything that swims!!!Chef

tonybull

Reaction score
OMG :eek:mg::D

Was on a match sunday and one angler next to me landed a good 25lb carp on white hydro with .10 hook length (2lb) 18 hook

A mate of mine landed 3 carp for 63lb on similar tackle and the lake is mainly a silvers venue with a few carp.

dead peg

Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck on this also :confused:
With solid elastics is it a sort of general rule to double the size of elastic to suit rig line ? i.e. 6lb line = 12 elastic etc .
What about hollow elastics ? Does this general rule still apply ?
Ive just elasticated my lads margin pole match top 2 with solid No 12 elastic and wondered what size/make of elastic to use in the power top 2 ?
Both top 2's will be used on commercials mainly for carp 5-15lb .I want to get the balance right between elastic-rig line to prevent bumping fish and smashing No 4 sections

C

chefster

I'm a bit stuck on this also :confused:
With solid elastics is it a sort of general rule to double the size of elastic to suit rig line ? i.e. 6lb line = 12 elastic etc .
What about hollow elastics ? Does this general rule still apply ?
Ive just elasticated my lads margin pole match top 2 with solid No 12 elastic and wondered what size/make of elastic to use in the power top 2 ?
Both top 2's will be used on commercials mainly for carp 5-15lb .I want to get the balance right between elastic-rig line to prevent bumping fish and smashing No 4 sections
Hollow elastics are a lot more forgiving,in that they have a lot more stretch,for example you can use white hydro,maver 6-10,preston 11h etc with lines from 0.11-0.15mm or black hydro,maver 12-20,prestn 13-15h with lines from 0.13-0.17mm and land pretty much anything you are likely to encounter,but i would suggest using a puller kit or bung,Chef

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks Chefster Ive been using pole-master winder bungs in both but ive been thinking about fitting puller-bungs to land them a bit quicker without bullying them in .Can you recommend any brands of puller-bungs or are they all similar ? cheers :)

C

chefster

Thanks Chefster Ive been using pole-master winder bungs in both but ive been thinking about fitting puller-bungs to land them a bit quicker without bullying them in .Can you recommend any brands of puller-bungs or are they all similar ? cheers :)

Preston puller bungs or Drennan puller bungs,are the best ones mate,dont buy cheap copy ones ,as the centre slips -up inside the bung,when put under pressure and you cant get to it!!:eek::eek:i know this as i bought some cheap ones a few years ago,and it happened to me,and it will drive you mad!!:DChef

tonybull

Reaction score
Hollow elastics don't work as good in the colder weather, they can struggle to retract.

Preston No5 doubled up is good for fishing from now into spring.

4lb main line and 3lb hooks lengths should be fine from now into spring.

Everyone has their own ideas, but when the fish get more finicky, lighter set ups do pay off.

C

chefster

Hollow elastics don't work as good in the colder weather, they can struggle to retract.

Preston No5 doubled up is good for fishing from now into spring.

4lb main line and 3lb hooks lengths should be fine from now into spring.

Everyone has their own ideas, but when the fish get more finicky, lighter set ups do pay off.

I learn,t my lesson with Hydros in the winter a couple of years back-freezing up,i,ve put maver 5-8 in now instead of my favourite pink Hydro,and taken all my hydros out,i,ve never suffered those problems with normal hollows though,and i,ve never tried doubled elastics:D

tonybull

Reaction score
Gaz

I rate the maver hollows more than hydro, double preston original slip in doubled up in different sizes is really good in cold weather.

Its soft and stretches well and retracts really well, I mainly use it when fishing for anything ie silvers, F1 and old bigger carp moving in :)

C

chefster

What size doubled for F1-1-2lb,skimmers 4oz-2lb,roach,perch etc,would you use?double 4? cheers Gaz

magicone

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Makes me feel from my recent venture, where I lost a fish.

The No.16 elastic was very near fully extended with its 6lb rig line and the pole seemed to be handling the size of fish ok , which makes me wonder if rig line was damaged by one its shots.

I think I will re-new my lines on the rigs I have and take care with the shots.

Finishing off, any preference of how to shot without damage to the line.

thanks

Last edited:
C

chefster

Thanks guys,

Makes me feel from my recent venture, where I lost a fish.

The No.16 elastic was very near fully extended with its 6lb rig line and the pole seemed to be handling the size of fish ok , which makes me wonder if rig line was damaged by one its shots.

I think I will re-new my lines on the rigs I have and take care with the shots.

Finishing off, any preference of how to shot without damage to the line.

thanks

Use stotz and dont put any on you,re hooklength,Chef