which rucksack

Specihunter

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new rucksack to go river fishing? I have 3 choices korum rucksack ,ruckbag and the gardner rucksack .I'm need help choosing 1 so any help or advice will be much appreciated.

thanks

speci

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Jim speaking as someone who has experience of rucksacks all I can say is choose one that is comfortable over the shoulders and not too big, if you get a big one you will fill it and it will be very heavy and you wont enjoy your river sessions.

E

EC

The korum ruckbag is good, I haven't got one but a few here have! It has clips which you canattach the Korum chair too!

I have a sundridge slam roamer rucksack which has an integral seat and unhooking mat, it's ace, but you cannot get them anymore I don't think.

Barney 2

Reaction score
I think choosing a new rucksack is a verypersonal thing and moving in can be extremely stressfull. You have my sympathy. Trev is right - you will fill it.

Having said that, I am extremely pleased with my Korum Ruckbag, as I can fit enough in for a long day and coupled with the lightweight chair is a joy to use. The way it opens up and hard base is ideal. (Have a look at the reviews).

It is also small enough (without the chair)for an evening wandering around with one rod to stalk fish, taking the essentials with you.

R

Robert Woods

I use a German Flectarn camo 25ltr for rivers. Made to last and considerably cheaper than others.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Speci'

I've used the fox Stalker Rucksack for the last 4 years or so and think it is an excellent piece of kit.

It is big enough to get all you need for a day but not too large so that you tend to fill it with bits and pieces that you'll probably not use (we are all guilty of that methinks)

keora

Reaction score
The Koum ones are nicely made, although they have so many features that they are heavy even when empty.

I've got two rucksacks made by Drennan - the 25 litre one I use for pike fishing in winter, the bigger 35 litre version I use for other coarse fish. They are well made, light and I like them.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
What about taking the bits you would want to take with you to the shop, assuming they are all clean and non smelly, and ask if you can load 2 or 3 rucksacks up and try them on. When I last bought a chair the shop owner got 1/2 a dozen out and said take them outside and play with them to your hearts content, if you would like help please ask and if none are suitable thats OK also. Needless to say I found a chair I liked and the price was reasonable so I bought it.

Good old fashioned non pressure service.

One rucksack that suites someone else may nor suit you. Please don't take offence Peter but from photos I've seen I would imagine you and Speci are completely differing builds and that could affect comfort and fit.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I use the Korum rucksack, coolbag section for food/drink; space inside; front flap opens to reveal a number of very useful containers, including magnetic; side pockets for bits and bobs that don't get used often, in my case that is; largish self contained base that comes with bait boxes. Comfortable to carry. All in all, very nice indeed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Richard,

I am 5' 9" and weigh about 13 stones, but although I've never met speci' he does look a few inches taller - okay, like 12 inches taller . . . . .

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I use a Cotswold Aquarius which is very well made and designed but is rather uncomfortable because it sits too high on the back. It doesn't help though that I stuff it with hard cornered boxes etc. I'm also 6'1" which makes it harder.

S

Sean Meeghan

I've stopped using my Korum Rucksack as it's heavy and its got no external straps. I've just got a Keennets rucksack through an Angling Times offer from Chapmans for about £12 including postage.

With a river rucksack I don't think size is too critical (within reason). The important thing is that can you strap a waterproof, an unhooking mat (don't go there!) or a spare jumper to the outside? Plenty of starps or bungee loops give versatility without giving you a big bag.

Reaction score
I think size does matter, quite a lot infact, a bigger rucksack encourages you to take more and so a once roving approach, changes to a I can't be bothered as i have to much affair.

At the moment i am using a Billabong rucksack, which is great, it is meant for a skater, but it is brill, it has a very thin pocket internally, (Designed for a a4 pad) which is where i put licenses and day tickets, the rest is just empty space. It also has straps on the back (Meant for holding a skateboard) but are perfect for unhooking mat, jacket , landing net etc.

To top it all it is black, with a khaki highlights, (With lots of Mud) so it blends in where I fish

Ryan

(Make sure it is comfortable when heavy, well made and not too big)

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Speci....check out the small jrc rukka.......and lightweight wychwood chair, the rukka has straps that take the chair, i can walk for miles with them without any fatigue from them.

Specihunter

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Richard, I am 5' 9" and weigh about 13 stones, but although I've never met speci' he does look a few inches taller - okay, like 12 inches taller . . . . . </blockquote>

i'm 6'1

The only reason i said the 3 bags is thats all jks sell .

Reaction score
This brings back memories,I was looking for a user friendly rucksack a while back. As usual I got good advice from these veterans on here. I now have 2 Sundridge Slam rucs (thanks EC they are near perfect) and a Fox Royale Rover. I have never seen the Korum (live in Siberia) so cannot comment. the Sundridge is a gem, has unhooking mat and seat cushion attached/combined, and is a bit smaller, so you take ONLY gear and grub and clothing that is NEEDED ,etc. So I walk further. Only needs chest straps (easy to bodge). Fox takes everything so I do. So that goes Piking with coolbags,stove,kelly kettle and more. Walk less! But eat more.

Maybe the Fox Evolution Roving Ruc should be on your list. Thats not so big and around £30 on discount. I have only just found a way to attach the Fox chair to my bags after much trying, will report back if this works. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have the new korum ruckbag and the lightweight. I have found the bag a bit on the large size. Great for the Autum sessions were you need extra clothing for the evening.

I use a small ruksack for summer roving. Just big enough for bait a bite to eat and a drink or two. All my tackle i fit into a clam shell box.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Specie,

Check out the pro logic range, the rucksack has a great surport for your back, and is not to big, also very well made.

I went to buy a rucksack but ended up buying a small pro logic bag, great bit of kit.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Sod it Speci use a tescos carrier bag like real fishermen do. Theres far too much advice on here to take in.