How early is too early?

C

Carp Angler

Whilst arranging a suitable meeting place and time yesterday for todays 3 day encounter, Cakey forwarded the suggestion that meeting a little after 4am was tantamount to madness.(or words to that effect if you know Cakey)
The wifes non-committal shrug when I told her that I was getting up at 1.30 assured to myself that I obviously do these early starts more than the old timer.

I'm over to Kent first to meet up with Stu Dennis and his infectious eargerness has ensured that I've had no sleep due to the butterflies.(another thread and another time)

My point is, how early is too early, or is it as subjective as I feel?

R

Richard Barrell

Sorry but I agree with cakey 4am is a little early,I am usually just about getting up at that hour to start to get my gear into the car; having made sure the night b4 that I have put all that I might need into my tackle box/carryall.

M

Mike Fidler

I've got up at 12.30am and been at the waterside sitting in the car by 1.30am. Usually followed by 3 or 4 other cars. Generally we used to sit there till about 2.30am and then the first brave soul would head for the day ticket hut to drop a fiver in the box and write out a ticket, followed by a stampede. It would then be a dash to the favourite vacant swim trying not to trip over the guy ropes of the night syndicate members bivvies. All set up and fishing for about 3.30am half an hour before dawn. Sounds stupid doesn't it? But the water held a cracking head of twenties and to get a going swim you had to go to these lengths on a Saturday morning.

M

Mike Fidler

Oh yes, just remembered I never had a take before mid-day!

G

Gary Knowles

Rik,

I really struggle with early starts these days. Most of my fishing is now either an overnighter, when I go around mid- afternoon or a day/evening session, when I go around mid-morning.

On the few occasions I now get up before fist light I feel like sh*t !

Must be old age creeping up on me I suppose...

A

Alistair Campbell

Rik,

The anticipation of fishing means before going I dont usually sleep at all...

I always aim to be at the water by 3.00 or 4am in the summer as on the majority of occasions on a certain water I fished I managed a couple of good 20's by stalking in the edge before anyone else on the lake was up.

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik - its never too early ! I love early mornings for their peace and quiet, the sun rise, the gradual warming etc etc. As I only fish on Sunday mornings then I always try to be by the bank 30 mins before light. I really don't care whether its the best time or not for fishing.

The main factor about how early I get up is usually determined by whether I was out on the piss or not the night before!!

A

andrew jackson

I just go when ever I can, my wife had a night out this week when she came home, I shot off to do a night. I didnt get set up till 11.30 pm and was away back on the road by 8am. I blanked but it is a worth while exercise as the fish are feeding on that water between 2-6 am.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It's never too early, the older I get the less so called thrills excite me. Do you all remember the total anticipation and not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve? Well that seems to be me all over again when it comes to fishing these days! (and it's getting worse). It's not all about the diping of our rod's into the water, its the whole event. From sorting out the tackle the night before through to excitable chat in the car on route to your venue, again in total anticipation.

Bring it on Santa!

C

Cakey

Your all mad apart from Rik ,hes raving bonkers !
1-30am is time for bed ! !

N

Neil Wayte

A recent trip to Frimley saw me up all night waiting for a suitable time to leave.At 2.30am I couldn't stand it any longer so I opted for a steady drive up to the pit.
Even as I get older I still have trouble sleeping when I get excited about the place I'm fishing.If I ever loose that I'll give up.

A

andrew jackson

Yep well said Neil the excitement and antisipation is a major part of angling, If it no longer affected me in that way I would also think long and hard.

C

Cakey

Im not saying I dont get excited but there must be a point where things get dodgy ,the M25 has all the warning signs alight at the moment saying "think dont drive tired"

C

Craig w

I have done the same Neil, Ive had a long way to drive to get to the water and couldnt sleep the night before so opted for a nice easy drive and no sleep due to being to excited

J

john conway

I’m willing to get up and go fishing at whatever time gets me to the water for dawn or dusk. In summer it’s generally fishing through to capture both dusk and dawn and in the winter with the exceptionally long nights I just settle for dusk till 24:00hrs or 01:00hrs during work days. Spring and autumn I may choose either dawn or dusk. Like the rest of you getting up is not a problem if I’m excited, convincing our lass I need to go fishing is another problem altogether? I’ve been travelling down to London quite a bit just lately, work unfortunately, and it’s made me think about what would happen if I ploughed into the back of someone after a day at work then an all night fishing session?

D

disco dan

Its usally dawn in the summer and about 8-10 am in winter depsending on work.I remember once getting excited and driving down to a venuei had not fished for a couple of years its only about 30 mins down the road i got there in the summer about 4-30am only to find that the venue had been taken over and didnt open till 6am should of done my homework before.

C

Cakey

What we should have pointed out is Rik drove from Southampton to Gravesend from there Stuart drove to Norfolk and I drove Cheshunt to Norfolk ,all doing over a 100 miles a piece !