Wellies.

flightliner

Reaction score
supposing you were in the market right now and you wanted a pair of wellingtons -- no other type of waterproof footwear--
What would be your choice and why?.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Neoprene Muckboots or Aigles, because they are warm and reliable and your feet will love them. Warm, Dry feet in those cold wet winter months are a god send. They ain't cheap but should easily last you for years.
A saying i was once told said ...... spend money on good footwear and good beds, cause you're usually in one or the other for hours at a time.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Just bought myself a pair of Muck Boots, quality!

£54 from my local Snack & Tack outlet (sales staff make it well worth a visit).

barryjh

Reaction score
Would be the "Vierzonord" boots made by Le Chameau, (the ones with the zip all the way up the side not the ones with only a buckle), they are the best boots Iv'e ever had.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For just wellies I've had a pair of Hunters for some 14 years that do the job perfectly (keep the wet out and the smell in) and they're comfortable for walking miles - if i want warm feet in brass monkey weather when I'm pretty static then it's the Skee-Tex moon boots.

nicepix

Reaction score
If you are using wellies for beating as I suspect Flight might be then there is no point in buying expensive wellies. Brambles will puncture them in no time no matter how much they cost.

Get a pair of Dunlops then chuck them away in February and get another pair. At around £11 a pair they are as good as anything three times the price.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good quality wellies will see a cheap pair out for years. My budget will stretch to Aigle Parcours.

I've had a pair of Dunlop green wellies for nearly 20 years, paid £9.99 for them, can't wear them out and they won't perish as they ain't rubber! :D

Pair of relatively expensive Smartwool merino blend hiking socks on top of a pair of thin liner socks and Robert is your father's brother! :thumbs:

B

binka

If you are using wellies for beating as I suspect Flight might be then there is no point in buying expensive wellies.

I reckon he's got something far more sinister in mind... ;) :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzY4c0y2ajU]Woodland Trust Welly Wanging World Record - YouTube[/ame]

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had two pair of wellies in the last twenty years. I've been fishing, shooting and beating in them. The first pair were Hunters and the only reason they were replaced was because the sole wore out enough to render them dangerous to walk any distance in. The old man now uses them for gardening in. They were replaced with much more swanky Hunters. They are still going strong five years on with, beyond being mucky, barely a sign of use. I know that Hunter is a brand that often takes a bit of stick amongst the fishing fraternity, less so amongst shooting types. I'll continue to buy them while they continue to last as long for me. I expect to buy one more pair in my lifetime. I've little doubt that the equivalent Aigle or Le Chameau would be equally good, but at least Hunters are British.

sam vimes

Reaction score
We had beaters like you on our shoot. Pathfinders we called them :D

I wish. Mostly open fields with game crops and a dirty great, supposedly drained, marsh. However, in the one large wood we work it appears that the landowner has been bramble farming. Full waxed cotton leggings help.;)

nicepix

Reaction score
I wish. Mostly open fields with game crops and a dirty great, supposedly drained, marsh. However, in the one large wood we work it appears that the landowner has been bramble farming. Full waxed cotton leggings help.;)

I know your type. End of every drive with a pocket full of mushrooms and a hare the dog had pegged :D

Seriously, I found that I had to replace my Dunlops at the end of every shooting season due to pin pricks in the top of the foot or splits caused by brambles. Gators don't protect that part.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know your type. End of every drive with a pocket full of mushrooms and a hare the dog had pegged :D

Don't like mushrooms and you get chucked off for knobbling hares. John does like his hares, remarkably enlightened in that respect. With only three or four beaters, at most, there's not much time to muck about. Dogs are a rare bonus.

Seriously, I found that I had to replace my Dunlops at the end of every shooting season due to pin pricks in the top of the foot or splits caused by brambles. Gators don't protect that part.

I get the odd scratch but never had a full puncture. However, in brambles, it does look like I'm doing a cross between goose stepping and the charleston at times.;):D

flightliner

Reaction score
Sorry bowt the delay guys but in itaiy at the moment. i posed the question as i have "had grief" in the past from fellow beaters during the shooting season (well spotted nicepix). five years ago i purchased a pair of hunters and was ribbed mercilessly by fellow users of such apperel.
They mostly said that i had wasted my money as it was better to buy any that were more expensive but having had them for years previous I said they would do just fine . Looking now i can see i was right as several of my " knockers" are using newly acquired ones.
My hunters have been in constant use for both fishing and beating for just on five seasons now which represents really good value.
like it says on the box "outstanding in any field.
mUst say tho that some of the more pricey jobs look really nice but the price is a bit retricting
Ps- must say as mentioned also that the waxed cotton beaters leggings double up fine in some angling circumstances.

Last edited:

bobbyb

Reaction score
For the winter approaching, I'd go with the Skee-tex welly. Not good for roving around in as such but they'll keep you extra warm!!! 40-50 quid too.