Braid Aid

Reaction score
Water on Mars, monsoon in August!

Never mind that! Can I get a floating Dyneema braid to sink with a drop of Fairy liquid?

As usual the cheapskate in me bought some Whiplash Pro braid from Ebay, and the stuff wants to float. Super for my Pike on the drifter but I am trying to long cast to reach the drop off on Lomond. So before I rot thevilliain with detergent has anyone else got this stuff to sink. My alarms are bleeping like a Russian radar screen! My near ex-pal Mogs is threatening to vote green party! Not that he has had a run this year (only the cheap curry from Ardlui) but things are getting serious.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Afraid not mate. Its a floating braid.

You could try one of the sinking putty's from krystonite. Hold it between thebraid and wind back on the reel. Costly and wont last much more than a session or two.

S

Sean Meeghan

Beach casting at Balmaha Peter?

Seriously though, Brian is right in that dyneema is inherently buoyant and no matter what you do it will tend to rise in the water. If you must use braid the best bet is to buy a sinking braid (woven with heavier fibres as well as dyneema) and put it on a spare spool. Otherwise by a good sinking mono like Diawa sensor or Kryston Snyde.

All fullers earth does is degrease and de-shine the surface of mono so it doesn't sit on the surface film.

C

Cakey

get a spare spool and fill it with sinking braid .........................

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Use a bigger lead then you can tighten down /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Or clip up in front of your alarm/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Sounds like a nice sensitive set up you've got going.

Reaction score
Well, should have done my homework. I thought there may be a chance to get it sinking. Will go and dig up another pot of pennies for possibly Power Pro and spare spools.

Thanks for all your input, but finding it hard to type with tears in my eyes. Cheers.

W

Wolfman Woody

Save the WHiplash for fishing floating lures and poppers.

You might also look at Cortland Master Braid. Most Spectra Fibre braids sink although braid is not the best sinking material whoever makes it.

C

Chris Bishop

Power pro also floats. Depending on the depth in front of you you can get braid to sink if you use a big lead, heavy drop-off and tighten eveything right down after you've chucked it out.

Reaction score
Power Profloats too! Thanks Chris. And Ihave already thought of using a beachcaster Sean, especially witha big lead to tighten to.A big lead and Lamprey will work, I have snapped the tip of a 2.75lb rod withlightlead and half Mackerel. Wound it up too much. I have an ancient Abu Zoom that will get me to an island almost. This and mono with shockleader is the cheap way, with the bait loopedthru the tail and a trailing treble like a Kebab with attitude. The Abu is rated at 9oz and 11ft. Well, we are using sea baits here after all.

"Get a spare spool and fill it with sinking braid"- was that you in Star Trek Cakey? Impeccable logic. Its just that the bulk spool filled 2 spools, so I can soon unload one for spares. Thanks to all for your ideas, I will keep you posted on the beach fishing. Listen for the splash at a water near you.