Fishing in france

tozer

Reaction score
I am going over to visit relatives and well I am going to pack a light lure rod to incase I can get an hour or two just to see what is about. Looking at the rivers it is likely to be trout, grayling and possibly chub? But I have never been.

Does anyone know how much the permits cost and are there restrictions on fishing methods?

I can find information on carp fishing and I have read 'The accidental angler' but this is a bit different.

john step

Reaction score
Nicepix would be the best person to advise you, however my own twopence worth.... France is a large and varied country. It really depends on where you are talking about. Last time I bought a National Licence it was about £35 I think.(probably more now)
There are rivers like our own in that there are slow, tidal and mountain types.
Carp seem to be widespread. I have caught chub and carp from a small river just before it flowed over the beach into the Med. The Rhone is a big carp swim with all the other usual coarse fish. There are canals and lakes and I would say France can actually be a bit of an anglers paradise.

nicepix

Reaction score
As John says; France is a large country and embodies many different types of fishing. One thing to note though is that the trout season has finished until next spring nationally and that grayling are not resident in many departments. Chub are not subject to close seasons, but pike and zander have a close season between Jan 1st and April 30th. Also be aware that you can only fish at night for carp and then only in certain specified areas of public water or private waters.

Check this out for prices of permits: Accueil - Cartedepeche.fr - Fédération Nationale de la Pêche en France

You can copy paste the URL into a translator such as Bing if you don't parle the lingo

tozer

Reaction score
sorry i did leave it a bit open, the area is Digoin, in the hills. the rivers look to be small and fast. i fancied my chances of a grayling as i haven't had one before, using 1-2" grass minnows etc and tiny jig heads.

i was trying ro get a vague idea of wether i can just drop on and fish.

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

As John says; France is a large country and embodies many different types of fishing. One thing to note though is that the trout season has finished until next spring nationally and that grayling are not resident in many departments. Chub are not subject to close seasons, but pike and zander have a close season between Jan 1st and April 30th. Also be aware that you can only fish at night for carp and then only in certain specified areas of public water or private waters.

Check this out for prices of permits: Accueil - Cartedepeche.fr - Fédération Nationale de la Pêche en France

You can copy paste the URL into a translator such as Bing if you don't parle the lingo

Thanks, that is just the sort of information i'm after. Are public lakes open for anyone to fish? I know there are a couple there. Like I said will only be light spinning for perch and Jacks

nicepix

Reaction score
Public lakes can be fished by anyone with a Carte de Peche and where necessary a Club Halieutique permit. The latter is a stamp on your C de P and only costs a few Euros but is necessary to fish many public waters.

Virtually any river can be fished if you have the C de P.

tozer

Reaction score
Thanks, despite translating the website I am a bit lost as to what permit I need, I am in Sector 19 apparently. But this isn't recognised in the permit list.

I'll book one when I get there, I am just excited at fishing in a different country and the simplest way is a bit of lure fishing.

Last edited:

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Hi there
You can get permits from some tabacs and all tackle shops. Digoin is in the Saone et Loire which is departement 71, if you buy on line you need to get that departement permit. They cost 65 Euros.
You'll be able to fish all public rivers and lakes in the area with upto 4 rods. If you go out of the Saone et Loire you'll need another additional stamp which is 25 Euros.
From what I can see its on the banks of the Loire..
With a lure approach I'm sure you'll get zander; pike, perch and even cats. I don't know the region but there are fish every where in France.

cheers
Gareth

stillwater blue

Reaction score
sorry i did leave it a bit open, the area is Digoin, in the hills. the rivers look to be small and fast. i fancied my chances of a grayling as i haven't had one before, using 1-2" grass minnows etc and tiny jig heads.

i was trying ro get a vague idea of wether i can just drop on and fish

Category 1 rivers are now closed until March 2014.

Category 1 rivers are those with a wild population of trout and grayling.