Reaction score
:)IS IT TRUE JOHN WILSON EMIGRATING,
I HAVE TO SAY I WAS NEVER A BIG FAN OF HIS BUT IF HE IS GOING I WISH
HIM BON-VOYAGE.
tight lines
hunters moon:).

P

pointngo

I think he's already gone to live in Thailand.

His wife was in poor health which wasn't helped by the UK weather and he thinks with all the problems of bird predation, habitat destruction, poaching etc fishing in the UK has so many problems that it's on a very slippy slope.

I was never a big fan either but he was a good ambassador for fishing over the years.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The bloke is a good angler and, if you get past the constant laughing, was a good presenter and, as has already been mentioned, a good ambassador for angling. I like his basic how-to book, Coarse Fishing Methods, a lot.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I was told he was going because certain members of a fishing forum were saying he was a cheat, and a fraudster, that he'd had his swims baited for days before, and even borrowed other peoples fish for the camera. And that he was not an angling God.

The above may not necessarily be true........:)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Still there is an upside to all of this: John can finally solve a problem that has been taxing my warped and inadequate mind for several years - how did the Arapaimas find their way from the South American rainforests all the way to well-decked and -beered pay-for-play pools on the edge of Bangkok? If he can solve this problem, I might once again be able to sleep at night.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I try to keep my stocking of Thames weirpools with mahseer and Goliath tigerfish as quiet as possible, you know - I wouldn't want others lowering the tone of the place....

terry m

Reaction score
Wilson did a solid job in the early years of angling on TV.

His idiotic laughing drove me nuts, and unfortunately in latter years he seemed to exagerate the trait and play up to it, which is a shame because it spoilt the shows somewhat.

Having said that - good luck to him.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup. Very solid in the early years.

[ame=http://youtu.be/8kb7Ou26wAQ]Go Fishing Master-class John Wilson Richard Walker - Early years. - YouTube[/ame]

Plus one on Roach...

http://youtu.be/n-3neTGKgSQ

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I was only watching the roach one the other night, but I have never seen that masterclass featuring **** Walker before.

His book "Where to fish in Norfolk and Suffolk" - which covered coarse, game and sea fishing was the most comprehensive book of its type: certainly at the time, if not since; and demonstrated just how widely he had fished in the area - or at least much of it seemed like first-hand accounts. A very useful book when i lived in the area in the 1980s.

End of an era his emigrating. He did come across as more arrogant, opinionated etc as the years went on and there have been some critical accounts about him here and there. I think its a shame he's not still around, just as it was a shame when his tackle shop closed down. But nothing stays the same for long of course.

B

binka

I've always enjoyed watching JW, he's managed to come across as very down to earth to me... I think his brother's been out in Thailand for some years now.

One of my personal favourites for the funny at the end, love the cameramen that you can just make out laughing...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT-0LSRY9q0]John Wilson, Go Fishing - Pike Catch - YouTube[/ame]

cg74

Reaction score
Still there is an upside to all of this: John can finally solve a problem that has been taxing my warped and inadequate mind for several years - how did the Arapaimas find their way from the South American rainforests all the way to well-decked and -beered pay-for-play pools on the edge of Bangkok? If he can solve this problem, I might once again be able to sleep at night.

I thought it was common knowledge, seemingly not.

It was a freak of nature; the Amazon basin was in its season of low water, the fish were simply sucked up by a tornado, then with a combination of a couple of Trade Winds they were carried from South America to Asia.
What with the arapaima being an air-breathing species, miraculously they survived.

Sleep easy.

john step

Reaction score
Good luck to him. He brought angling to the main channels on TV. Not many people can claim either to have made a good living at angling. I have used a JW 1.7 TC barbel rod for some time. It is strong, reliable and versatile with the interchangeable tops. I think it was such a good buy that I have just purchased a JW Travel Avon ready to do a bit of fishing on hols next year. I jumped in now as he is emigrating and I think the supply will soon dry up. I've tried it once on crucians and small carp. It is a nice rod especially at 49.99. I don't care if the tackle tarts wouldn't be seen dead holding one :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a freak of nature; the Amazon basin was in its season of low water, the fish were simply sucked up by a tornado, then with a combination of a couple of Trade Winds they were carried from South America to Asia.

. . . . well, you yourself Paul alerted us all to that great piece of cinematic brilliance that was . . . . . . . Sharknado . . . . . .

So, as they say . . . . . Do the Math . . . .

cg74

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed watching JW, he's managed to come across as very down to earth to me... I think his brother's been out in Thailand for some years now.

One of my personal favourites for the funny at the end, love the cameramen that you can just make out laughing...

John Wilson, Go Fishing - Pike Catch - YouTube

He did prove to be pretty adept at catching pike, even though predator fishing isn't really my thing, I enjoyed watching his pike fishing programmes the most.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some of his recent Fishing World programmes have been good. Not too keen on the Thai exploits but fly fishing for Arctic Grayling was a good one as was Grass Carp fishing in Arkansas. A least he hasn't turned fishing into a freakshow like Robson Greene or a Blair Witch hunt like Jeremy Wade.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
. . . . well, you yourself Paul alerted us all to that great piece of cinematic brilliance that was . . . . . . . Sharknado . . . . . .

So, as they say . . . . . Do the Math . . . .

Okay, Peter, I am prepared to accept that Extreme Climate Event or other Act of Cod got them there, but why are hundreds of British otters texting or emailing British travel and ticket agents at the moment with the same message: "Book me on the next and cheapest flight to Bangkok.".

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
There's a good interview with JW in this weeks Angling Times.
70 years old, off to pastures new, setting up a new fishery and filled with more enthusiasm than most anglers half his age.
Good luck to him I say.