chod rigs pros@cons

Milky White 2

Reaction score
i am going to use chod rigs for the first time wednesday and wondered if anybody had any opinions on them or any tips on them.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Use ESP Stiffrigger hooks and Bristle filament. Use a Domhoff knot as opposed to knotless knot,as you then only have to go through the eye of the hook twice (instead of three times).

Three inches is a good length and they work best over a loose scattering ofboilies similar to the pop-ups you use. Won't work over heavy particle baiting. Tigers with cork plugs inserted to pop them up are also a very good chod rig hookbait.

F

Frothey

you put the long tag (thats normally the hair) back thru the eye and blob it to create the "D"

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
domhoff-knoop2.jpg

Found it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That's the baby!

Another joy of this knot is that the hook ends up where you first set it on the line - so you can tie really short hooklengths if you want to.

It's also THE best knot for hooks, because both standing part and tag are trapped by ALL the turns of the whipping. Tis the muttz for spade-ends as well as eyes.

BUT you must tighten gently, and lubricate the knot well (spittle, proprietary knot lube, glue or varnish), otherwise friction can generate enough heat to damage it.

Any chance of a link to the site, Paul? - It's the first one I've seen that attributes the right knot to Mr. Domhof's name!

Milky White 2

Reaction score
thanks GREG WHITEHEAD 4 the info that has helped alot like i say thank you very much

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
If that's the Knotless Knot what am I tying?

I go through the eye already having made the loop for the hair (set at the length I want) then whip down the shank and back up through the eye and attach a swivel?

Paul H

Reaction score
That's the Domhoff knot Steve, which I have never used before but may give it a go on Alan's recommendation there.

Because they are talking about pop-up rigs Greg was talking about making a D rig which I didn't realise at first. With a knotless knot making a D rig requires the line to pass through the eye of the hook 3 times. This Domhoff only needs to go through it twice to give the same result.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks, Paul. Of course these guys got it right - it's a Dutch site. Some interesting ideas there.

Downside of the Domhof is that you have to tie your hair loop after you'vetied the hook on, but at least you have a nice long tag end to work on. No obstacle at all to D-rigs, though.

jonny Cox

Reaction score
hi to risk sounding like an idiot.

i am very new to car fishing and would love it if you could tell me how to apply bait to the chod rig. i will be verygratefull for any reply thanks

Paul H

Reaction score
Jonny, the hooklength is the same as any other hair rig, just shorter (usually a couple of inches or so).

It is also usually used with pop-ups (floating boilies).

The design of the rig is to keep the bait above soft 'chod' (weed, rotting leaves, etc...) on the bottom so a floating bait which sits another couple of inches above the rig is an added help.