Waterproof washing ??

naxian

Reaction score
Do you wash your waterproofs, whatever they 're made out of?
Just doesn't make sense. How the hell can they still be waterproof after going through what a washing machine does to them. ?

B

binka

The most i'll ever do is wear 'em on the back garden and sponge 'em off and that's a rarity... I can't really see the point as they are worn over other clothes and end up ditched again before I know it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Stiff broom and a hosepipe. There should be a label inside somewhere with washing instructions, usually 40degree wash is ok.
If you're worried about the waterproof bit you can buy an aerosol can with a resealant in it innit...

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Even waterproofs need a wash from time to time but it depends on what the waterprroofs are made out of as to what they can be washed with.

I have some Gortex gear and wash it occasionally with The stuff Nikwax produce and it comes out as good as new almost.

If you go to their website they are running a web quiz where you can get a free sample - it varies from month to month as to what sample they are offering but it's worth having.

Web link herewith (assume ok with the mods ?) :
Nikwax | Web Quiz - Win Nikwax Product(s)

Other manufacturers also produce good stuff with similar results ....

Steve

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nikwax Tech Wash followed by Nikwax TX Direct for most breathable waterproofs.

Hosepipe, block of carbolic and scrubbing brush for non-breathables!

noknot

Reaction score
I have British Army Gortex jacket and bib and brace, these are 100% waterproof, and kept me dry and warm in the rain and winds this week, I was even sitting in a puddle on my chair!
I just give a cold quick was in the machine and they come up as new, not bad for £45 for the pair:)

bigfish74

Reaction score
Theres some stuff that the mother in law uses chuck it in the machine with your gearr and its right as rain she swears by the stuff but i cant rememner what its called lol

Andy

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In my opinion Jacksharp has it about right.....

The two products he mentions are recommended for Gortex BREATHABLE Garments plus
'Sympatex' 'Permatex' 'eVENT' and Nikewax 'Anology' - this from the Nikewax instructions.

I do a lot. and I mean a lot of walking in ALL weathers and Gortex garments are without doubt what protects me from the elements. However, from time to time they do lose the 'waterproofness' they are famous for and once a year they NEED 'reproofing' which involves the use of the above products.
Only this last Tuesday I came back from a long walk in very heavy rain and found my walking jacket was damp on the inside so it will need to be reproofed. Once done (and this involves the use of a washing machine for a couple of hours!) they are as good as new and from my considerable experience a jacket cared for in this way will last many, many years.
For the record my preferred choice of manufacturer is Bergaus. Expensive yes, but IMHO worth every penny as they are well made with ample pockets, built-in hood etc.

All the above refers, as I say, to BREATHABLE garments which is not to be confused to non-breathable! For these, as Peter and others have said, a quick hose down with a hosepipe and a soft brush does the job. HOWEVER, with non-breathable stuff you have to face the prospect of sweating within the garment which, if you are moving around from swim to swim (and you carry a few extra pounds!) can be excessive and very uncomfortable particularly in winter when sweat soon turns to very cold!

I don't use the 'non' stuff for this reason, and whilst it may be cheaper initially, in the long term it's disadvantages are many. However, (again) they do have a use if you just need a quick something to keep off a shower and carry without much weight,. Those made by 'Pakamac' for example provide excellent temporary cover BUT they sweat something terrible in almost any weather making what you're wearing underneath 'wet' by any standard.
When walking (in summer) I carry such an animal simply because it rolls up to almost nothing and weighs ziltch BUT they are only for the 'caught out' situation.......IMHO

As you can see I have done my own checks before deciding what best suits for a given situation and I strongly suggest you do the same, ignoring, if the pocket allows, what the product costs but more what you want it to do FOR YOU!

Look long term is my advice but let me just say I have many breathable jackets that go back years, still functional simply because they just don't wear out!!

ps .....and for gawd sake READ the instructions before you buy and more so before you 'reproof' if only to be sure it can be done - okay??

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do people still wear Barbours, or the greasy sieve, as they are known in flyfishing circles? :confused:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I used to use one until I saw the light and shed all that weight!! The reproofing was a nightmare (they did offer a reproofing service if you had a few bob!!) and I was convinced the smell from the wax did little for my fishing as the it never seemed to leave my fingers.

Still, they were all the rage years ago and I certainly looked the part with matching hat!!Ugh!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how new or well re-proofed they are, they ALWAYS let water in at the elbows and go stiff as **** in cold, wet weather.

Barbours are an anachronism!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
One can meet better quality members of the opposite sex if one attends the right pubs (probably closed down now) with a well worn Barbour.......not too clever if they won't take them off in bed though!

They stay stiff in the warm as well!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One can meet better quality members of the opposite sex if one attends the right pubs (probably closed down now) with a well worn Barbour.......not too clever if they won't take them off in bed though!

They stay stiff in the warm as well!

One generally finds that the Cheshire Set wear Barbour for such strenuous countryside pursuits as Church Bazaars, garden parties and tea and croquet. :D