Is angling a sport?

Reaction score
Some would like to see angling taken 'more seriously' as a sport.

But is it a sport or is it a pass time or hobby?

Some none anglers (who really don't know or care anything about angling) have us pitched somewhere between fox hunting and train spotting.

But what do you think?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
For me personally i think of it as a hobby.

If i was purposely targeting the fish for consumption or as Trophies, then i would think of it as a sport.

Controversial i bet, but, it's my thoughts.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Yeah, but hunting is only finding, it's what you do when you find them that decides whether it's sport or not.
It's round and round we go with this one i suppose.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As nature is the opponent it must be a competitive sport................................:wh

cg74

Reaction score
Angling by definition is fishing for recreation.

It does not require physical exertion per se, so is not a sport; it is a hobby.
If you're in pursuit of fish solely to eat, you're fishing; which is a form of hunting.
The crossover would be fishing for pleasure and eating your catch, which would make it hunting for a hobby.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Angling is a pastime, not a sport.

Darts, shove ha'penny, and synchronised swimming are not sports either.

I'd say synchronised swimming is a sport.

The jury is still out re shin kicking though...

laguna

Reaction score
I was down my local river today targeting chub with a hair rigged field mouse. Within 2 minutes of casting in the dog was barking and I hooked into what I thought was a huge elephant, I swear I saw its trunk sticking up through the water at one point holding up some banana SAC juice when 'snap' the line broke and the monkey got choked, but it was all good sport!

Sport I would say.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Angling by definition is fishing for recreation.

It does not require physical exertion per se, so is not a sport; it is a hobby.
If you're in pursuit of fish solely to eat, you're fishing; which is a form of hunting.
The crossover would be fishing for pleasure and eating your catch, which would make it hunting for a hobby.

What about bowls, then? That doesn't require physical exertion, but it's a sport all right.

Clay shooting's an Olympic sport, so is curling, and golf, and some right fat ba$tards do those dull things.

cg74

Reaction score
What about bowls, then? That doesn't require physical exertion, but it's a sport all right.

Clay shooting's an Olympic sport, so is curling, and golf, and some right fat ba$tards do those dull things.

My understanding of the definition of sport, is that its an activity which involves skill, physical exertion and is performed for enjoyment. So on that basis only meets two out of the three criteria to be a sport.

Same applies to your other examples.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
My understanding of the definition of sport, is that its an activity which involves skill, physical exertion and is performed for enjoyment. So on that basis only meets two out of the three criteria to be a sport.

Same applies to your other examples.

Sorry Colin but angling covers all three of those requirements.
Skill to lure the target.
Physical exertion carrying my rucksack for miles over boggy countryside. Skill also comes into it as well as I try not to become hooked on barbed wire fences fall over stiles etc.
Enjoyment comes from being out in the fresh air and wonderful countryside.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I dont think of angling or fishing as a sport, but competitive team or individual fishing is closer to it than other forms of fishing, in my opinion.

Match fishing could be in the same category as Bowls, Darts, Snooker etc - where there is relatively little physical activity involved but high skill.

Less physical still would be chess, card games etc - not sure if those activities ever claim to be sports, even though they are highly competitive and skilful with world championships.

Not sure if the roving around/getting to swim should count as making the act of fishing physical - arguably even a chess player may have to walk or cycle to the venue where the match is happening.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
They used to train for synchro in my pool it looks extremely physical.

I don't consider fishing a sport , in fact sometimes it just seems an utterly pointless thing to do.

Reaction score
They used to train for synchro in my pool it looks extremely physical.

I don't consider fishing a sport , in fact sometimes it just seems an utterly pointless thing to do.

If you think too hard about it and perhaps look at yourself fishing from a different perspective then you do wonder wtf you are doing trying to catch little fishes with all that expensive highly engineered equipment :)

cg74

Reaction score
Sorry Colin but angling covers all three of those requirements.
Skill to lure the target.
Physical exertion carrying my rucksack for miles over boggy countryside. Skill also comes into it as well as I try not to become hooked on barbed wire fences fall over stiles etc.
Enjoyment comes from being out in the fresh air and wonderful countryside.

Ah, but physical exertion isn't an intrinsic part of angling, look at how trodden down many car park swims are.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

All that said; I still call angling/fishing a sport but that just shows how carp me Inglish be innit