Keep nets questions

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi ..

I fished Bumble Hole just outside Dudley West Midlands a couple of days ago , It is a day ticket venue so just as i arrived the water bailif turned up had my £2.50 off me and sat chatting whilst i was setting up he watched me set up the Keep net put it out and put 3 decent sized perch in it .

That was morning time . fishing away into the late afternoon all of a sudden same bailif turns up and start getting upperty because i have a keep net in use remembering he watched me set it up in the morning ..

Why is it that some of these pools are so anti keep nets , Ok i can see the not putting Large fish in a net but the average silver fish not a problem .

Anyone got other ideas ..

I have written to Sandwell council over this as i am not happy with the entire goings on of that day .

MD

C

chefster

Hi ..

I fished Bumble Hole just outside Dudley West Midlands a couple of days ago , It is a day ticket venue so just as i arrived the water bailif turned up had my £2.50 off me and sat chatting whilst i was setting up he watched me set up the Keep net put it out and put 3 decent sized perch in it .

That was morning time . fishing away into the late afternoon all of a sudden same bailif turns up and start getting upperty because i have a keep net in use remembering he watched me set it up in the morning ..

Why is it that some of these pools are so anti keep nets , Ok i can see the not putting Large fish in a net but the average silver fish not a problem .

Anyone got other ideas ..

I have written to Sandwell council over this as i am not happy with the entire goings on of that day .

MD
It does,nt sound like he was being anti keepnet,as he would have said at the time that there is a keepnet ban...some venues allow keepnets only in matches,as this is a 4 or 5 hr time limit,but the trouble is with pleasure anglers is that they sit there for 7,8,or more hours at a time with fish in the keepnet,and thats not on at all,Chef

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Maggot Dangler

If by Bumble Hole you mean the bottom pool of the three at Warrens Hall I'm sure (although I haven't fished there in about twelve months) that the ticket used to specify no keep nets. Is the bailiff still the old guy with the Staffie?

I thought it came under Dudley Council not Sandwell.

Ian

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that keepnets in pleasure fishing are a bit of an anachronism now. They are a necessary evil in match fishing but I no longer see the need to pen fish up all day and then give them a good rolling-over and de-scaling at the end of the session

symonh2000

Reaction score
I used to have a theory that when catching shoal fish (like dace on a river for instance) if you caught a fish and put it back it would alert the rest of the shoal and your catch rate would drop.

I have done an experiment or two in the past to find out if this was true and it appears to be the case.

Whether the same could be said on a commercial fishery where there are so many fish competing for food is another matter.

mick b

Reaction score
Ive only owned two keepnets, the first was made of linseed soaked knotted cord :eek:mg: and the other I quickly converted into a minnow trap.

From my experience Chub are the main species that can destroy a swim, these I always return 20-30yards upstream, stuff like Grayling, Roach and Bream can be released straight back and don't seem to have much effect on future catches, but who really knows :confused:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi all .

itsfishingnotcatching : it is now under Sandwell worst luck :(

symonh2000 : yes i have done the same and putting fish you catch back in does frighten of any other fish in the area .

mick b : i have found most species are frightened off by returning to close . even pesky perch get jittery ..

MD