Novice - Boilie advice required

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Good morning,

To date I have fished a few short day sessions with shelf life boilies & had good results on better stocked commercials.

This said, I would love to increase my catch rate (which is very poor) on my local more challenging lake.

My plan at present is to use freezer baits for the first time believing this may give me an edge....

Firstly, is there a "best practice" way of defrosting such boilies?

Secondly, can someone please recommend a must try make/flavour?

Also (I'm probably running before I can walk) but can someone recommend a web- site to buy ingredients from to make your own & list them.... (on a budget)

Thanks, Steve

Reaction score
Steve, - stick to readymades (shelf and or freezer) because, to perfect a recipe it takes a fair while, with many bad baits along the way. It depends how many you use, if you really want to make your own or try your own recipe then use a bait making service, as then you don't need to buy all the (sometimes costly) bait making gear.

As for make/flavour, ask the fishery manager, bailiffs, local tackles shops, other fishermen what they have been catching on - if they are worth their salt, they will tell you good advice.

Different venues need different baits, one bolie i use is great on lakes with a light bottom with little dead leaves etc and i can bag up all day long on good fish, yet if i take the exact same rig and bait to another lake which has a darker bottom, with dead leaves etc, is is rubbish, not even the bream want it.

These baits are good...

Mainline 8's activ, maple etc

Mainline Cell is said to be good,

Dynamite source

near me on Huntstrete lake, the going bait is supposed to be BBS (Bristol bait services) CS1

Nutrabaits Trigga

ETC and then you have the standard flavours strawberry, tiger nut etc.

Ryan

PS What is this challenging lake.

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, thanks for reply.

The more challenging lake (probably not so for a more experienced angler) is "Hendre" in Cardiff. I am comparing this to Peterstone (Cardiff/Newport) match lakes, which are very well stocked, catch 2lb or larger carp all day long.

These are really the only 2 places I have fished being local & convenient. I will generally chuck out 1 or 2 carp rods with a boilie + pva bag on the off chance and then feeder fish (or float depending on conditions) for constant bites catching Roach, Perch, Skimmers etc. & if lucky the odd carp.

Are you familiar with these lakes? Any tips?

Cheers, Steve.

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Yes, that's the lake... my sanctuary

As I probably said I only get to fish the occassional shortish day session & am on a learning curve where carp fishing is concerned.

Thanks for the link, great info, magnificient fish & photos.... there is hope for me yet.

Steve

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Thomas 2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

on a learning curve where carp fishing is concerned. </blockquote>

Think we all are...