Brandling worms?

bullet

Reaction score
I've got a good supply of Brandlings in my wormery,and tried them as bait the other day.They were very soft and hard to keep on the hook.Is there any way of improving them in this respect?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You need to "scour" them, to use the old term for toughening up worms. Put the worms in damp moss from an old rotting log in a wood or from a north-facing stone wall, or in damp (not soaked) newspaper for 24 hours. This will firm them up. Properly scoured worms will pick a fight with you!

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You say they are coming off the hook I take it you are using barbless. I would suggest you use a small piece of elastic band impaled on the hook after you have hooked the worm. This will keep the worm in place and also helps keep the hook point clear of the worm . you can buy enterprise hook skins that also can be used for this purpose they come in several colours.

bullet

Reaction score
Thanks, chaps. Got a few in the paper now. Tinker, sounds like a good tip.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Go to your garden centre and purchase some sphagnum moss for hanging baskets, dampen it, put in the worms and every other day turn the bait box/bucket over so the worms crawl through it again. If kept in a cool place such as the garage floor or fridge they will keep for weeks.

To be honest though I've never done much using brandlings much preferring redworms which are generally tougher and livelier.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Big, well-scoured brandling, boilied- and pelleted-out barbel....

Wallop.

Perch....

Ditto.

Salmon (when I used to baitfish for them, until 1988)....

Chomp.