An evening unwinding on the upper Lea

F

Fred Bonney

Short but,sweet Keith.Thanks

All those formative years fishing the Lea lower down and I missed this part of the river,and other upper rivers.

But, these little rivers are out there, and if not filled up with shopping trollies, hide some nice secrets.

Must do more of it myself.

tony brooks 3

Reaction score
nice piece Kirth. made me think as I miss the upper Lea, i use to be in the Hornmill club by Hertford Footy ground andi wouldjust re join them as and when i felt the urge to fish there and not on starting day.

Then one year i arrived to find that the dreadedAbbey Cross had taken over and the water was nowVERY PRIVATE and i was no longer able to fish it !!! Shame as it was a nice strech of river for arelaxed couple of hours with a mix of barbel chub and the oddcarp ....hey ho!!

C

Cakey

Abbey Cross and Lee Valley Parks got the lot now

Im gonna have to move north

tony brooks 3

Reaction score
your not far wrong Cakey...Lea Valley Park were quiet aggressive a few yearsago, i'd hate to seeFriday lake with a mass ofplatforms like so many others.....

L

Laurie Harper

Nice article. I always think Lea barbel are a bit special(live in N London and caught my firstfrom the Lea) - they are truly indigenous to the river and not the result of introduction. Nicely conditioned fish and very different in colour - one bronze, the other more copper shaded.

Changing the subject and re. the reference to overcrowding in the Lea Valley, platforms, etc, I've just joined the Turnford Consortium (via the Civil Service AA) and am delighted that it's so secluded (by Lea Valey standards - being so close to London, it's inevitable that you won't get the place to yourself), nicely overgrownand generally a pleasant place to spend some time.

C

Cakey

Laurie Ive done my time on there

just watch the rules they stick to them ...especially the parking in the lane etc

some good fish to be had though

drhaddock

Reaction score
Aha! That looks like the 'brief stroll' bit of the Lea if I'm not much mistaken. I prefer going the other way out of the car park for some superb stalking action with much fewer other anglers. The fish in this bit of the Lea are superb, just watching them is rewarding, a real credit to the controlling club who (so I'm told) rescued this stretch from shopping trolley related oblivion some years ago.

Re: Turnford - not sure if you could describe the Railway as secluded and overgrown, more like a circus on weekends!