Rumours & Snide Lies

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's all pervasive in all walks of life. In my time in fishing there has been many examples, some downright vicious and others resulting in court action.

Matchmen who have supposedly cheated and speci types who have allegedly lied and embellished about sizes of fish they have caught. Personality clashes where individuals are denied memberships of certain clubs.

Are we really the archetypal washerwomen . Recent events prompt this thread.

Well what do you think?

BarryC

Reaction score
To corrupt a well known saying

There are liars

Damn liars

and fishermen

slime monster

Reaction score
done a lot of match fishing and contest sec work, i have had to deal with allegations of cheating and draw fiddling by anglers,thankfully this was not a regular occurence and most turned out to be unfounded however bad apples can fall off any tree.

one reason i turned my back on competition angling is greed ,entry fees got higher and turnouts lower as a resultcatch 22 for those chasing a big payout until big matches fragmented into ones with a lower turnout than 30 peg club events all through greed the same motive that drives the people who cheat and snipe at others.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Derek Gibson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's all pervasive in all walks of life. In my time in fishing there has been many examples, some downright vicious and others resulting in court action.

Matchmen who have supposedly cheated and speci types who have allegedly lied and embellished about sizes of fish they have caught. Personality clashes where individuals are denied memberships of certain clubs.

Are we really the archetypal washerwomen . Recent events prompt this thread.

Well what do you think?</blockquote>
I think that that court action is the problem............or those that write ( in very frequent publications)about others being two faced...eg illegallfish movements would themselves be exposed and make sweet FA out of angling again...........tw*ts

keora

Reaction score
I'm sure that cheating/rule breaking/exagerating catches is more common among die hard specimen types andsemi pro match anglers.

But this kind of behaviour is rare with the normal angler, who just likes going fishing, catching a few good fish, or fishing in small club matches.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Derek.

Also prompted from other recent events.

What do we do where members take it upon themselves to clear or make new swims, cutting down shrubs, trees, or destroying bankside vegetation by deliberatey wading into rushes etc?

Tom sees **** doing it so he thinks it's okay and does the same himself. and so on and so on. Before you know it, the river bank or margins of the lake has been destroyed. There is also the safety factor of anglers to take into consideration. As it seems at times that they are incapable of looking after their own safety. I am not talking about any one person.

Somebody has to make the decision as to what is acceptable or not. And that somebody is the committee.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Baz, In the scenario you describe I totally agree, that constitutes wanton vandalism, and in ****s case it would be ''demonstrable''. That being the case the committee in their wisdom must impose their collective decision. My own view would take the form of expulsion, given that this is a hypothetical situation. But no doubt such acts do take place!!

I had no knowledge of Ray Waltons plight when I posted this thread, but surely here is a classic example of the sort of thing I had in mind. Another example would be poor old Martin Gay some years ago and his catch of huge carp. In England- not in England, on and on ad infinitum.

No doubt ego's are involved- synonimous with Chinese Whispers- hence the thread title. I can think of many examples and so must many others on site.

Thanks Baz.

E

EC

I remember that Martin Gay catch Derek.

Didn't lots of fellas got very excited saying he caught them from Canada or somewhere, whenMartin Gayclaimed he caught them from an un-named local water?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Eddie, you're spot on mate, yes a lot of guys got all uptight about Martins great catch of carp. My view for what it's worth is that the ultra cult carp boys seemed to take it as an affront. Probably because Martin wasn't regarded as a ''real'' carp angler! his main noteriety as such was for pike fishing,to which he made a great contribution.

I remember my old mate the late Colin Dyson editor of ''Course Angler'' magazine, telling me in private ''Derek he did get them here''. Phew, what a wasps nest that stirred up.

Glad you remember mate.

F

Fred Bonney

He said " here" EC./forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

E

EC

Cheers Derek. Strange isn't it? A fella catches a few lumps and there are those that will do their level best to say he's lied andassassinate his character.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>EC wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Cheers Derek. Strange isn't it? A fella catches a few lumps and there are those that will do their level best to say he's lied andassassinate his character.</blockquote>
You'd never see that sort of thing on FM though Ed

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Matt, Is that a veiled inuendo of rumour directed towards Ed. Smacks of past indiscretions , tut,tut, now you know who your friends are Ed. Surely an ex Sheffield angler couldn't stoop so low.