PS If all else fails, send fish

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Key To English Letter Writing was a guide that could have been written by Douglas Adams. But it appeared in 1938 in China, and its authors were Chen Kwan Yi and Whang Shih. Unlike Anglo-American guides, its letter templates did not consider how best to address a duchess. Instead, the examples were both more mundane and, conceptually, more profound. How, for example, should one write to a newlywed? Like this: "I have heard from Mr B that you were married to Miss C last Wednesday. I beg your acceptance of the accompanying fish as a trifling token of my affection." And when that marriage proves fruitful? "Allow me to congratulate you on the birth of a child in your family. I beg you will accept the accompanying basket of mixed fish which I send you in celebration of the happy event." Would a promotion, perhaps in the legal profession, also yield a fish gift? Sadly not. "Sir, I learn with pleasure that you have been admitted to the bar and have established yourself in private chambers. Please accept the accompanying bicycle as a slight token of my wishes for your future success."

This gifting advice has a modern equivalent in the form of dreaded e-cards and text emoticons. Rather less satisfying than a good piece of cod or a 12-speed though."

I do it all the time.

BBC News - 10 old letter-writing tips that work for emails

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Boote

Allow me to congratulate you on the first of your posts that caused my side to split somewhat. I beg you will accept the accompanying turd in a shoe box, which I send you in celebration of the happy event.

Yours most sincerely

Mr. C-C

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Boote

Allow me to congratulate you on the first of your posts that caused my side to split somewhat. I beg you will accept the accompanying turd in a shoe box, which I send you in celebration of the happy event.

Yours most sincerely

Mr. C-C

Thank you so much for the trifle, Corker. Every time I smell it, I shall be reminded of you.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the love fest but that article appeared ar*e about face in that the author found quotes or facts that were vaguely about writing and jemmied , with a big jemmy, them into a list about writing emails. Wrong way round.

I make a lot of effort over some emails as its a communication skill , communicating by writing is a great skill , re read it and put your physche into that of your audience.