Big Monday at Nazare

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surfing on an epic scale during the recent St Jude storm.

One Brazilian, a man, surfs possibly the biggest wave ever surfed. His fellow world-class Brazilian surfer, Maya (female), gets wiped out, dies on the beach, is resuscitated and is now doing fine in hospital with just a broken ankle.

I have long admired these wonderfully mad people.

Surfers ride 'biggest ever' waves at Nazare during St Jude's Day storm - Europe - World - The Independent

[ame=http://youtu.be/3xizEW14eNM]VIDEO: Brazilian Surfer Carlos Burle May Have Set New Big-Wave Record In Portugal - YouTube[/ame]

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I thought that I may be able to find out a bit more about this. If you are of a nervous disposition or let your kids use the computer then do not look up "Brazilian, water sports".

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is amazing the things people will do to get a buzz. I surfed a bit in the sixties in Cornwall but what these people do is another game . I will stick to fishing off the beach these days.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let me recommend you all a very well written book...

Walking On Water by Andy Martin (1992?)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Water-Andy-Martin/dp/0749399147"]Walking on Water: Andy Martin: 9780749399146: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KDVCMG3NL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KDVCMG3NL[/ame]

Martin, a bit of a surfer himself but no Pro, meets the Big Wave Boys. Something of a Surfing and the Art of Surviving It and Life in General.

Bit of a cult title, for non-surfers as well as those who routinely try to kill themselves.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone into surfing should watch the movie Big Wednesday. It's one of these American rites of passage films about 3 California surfers set against a backdrop of the Vietnam War. One of my favourite movies.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I read a sci fi story along time ago

Bloke years in the future when the Earth has long gone dreams of surfing, and keeps on the spaceship a surf board

At the end of the story the ship falls apart and he gets his wish as he surfs the wave of the explosion to his death

Anyone recognize the story I can't recall the name of it

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do.

"Dark Star", a film from 1974, much liked at the time.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do.

"Dark Star", a film from 1974, much liked at the time.

Low budget gem from director John Carpenter, about the 4 man crew of Dark Star, a ship whose mission is to destroy unstable stars.

A sci-fi classic. :thumbs: