A Hypothetical Situation

maverick 7

Reaction score
You are sat on beautiful peg on a beautiful stretch of river somewhere in the country....you are having the time of your life with catches beyond your wildest dreams.

You have already banked 2 x double figure barbel followed by by a few chub all over 6lb apiece......and they are STILL chomping away.

Suddenly, you turn around and see a car roll up with two guys sat in it.... one gets out and proceeds to get a wheelchair out of the boot....he walks up to you and asks if there is any chance his invalid friend (sat in the car) could fish the peg you are in. He explains that the peg you're in is the only one on the stretch that is level enough to support a wheelchair. You look around and sure enough....the other pegs are very uneven without a chance of getting a wheelchair in.

Question is......would you give this dream of a peg up that is giving you the best day's fishing you've ever had in your life.....or would you point blank refuse to allow this unfortunate chap to fish your peg and thereby denying him some very enjoyable fishing in his obviously very limited life?

What would you do?

Maverick

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are sat on beautiful peg on a beautiful stretch of river somewhere in the country....you are having the time of your life with catches beyond your wildest dreams.

You have already banked 2 x double figure barbel followed by by a few chub all over 6lb apiece......and they are STILL chomping away.

Suddenly, you turn around and see a car roll up with two guys sat in it.... one gets out and proceeds to get a wheelchair out of the boot....he walks up to you and asks if there is any chance his invalid friend (sat in the car) could fish the peg you are in. He explains that the peg you're in is the only one on the stretch that is level enough to support a wheelchair. You look around and sure enough....the other pegs are very uneven without a chance of getting a wheelchair in.

Question is......would you give this dream of a peg up that is giving you the best day's fishing you've ever had in your life.....or would you point blank refuse to allow this unfortunate chap to fish your peg and thereby denying him some very enjoyable fishing in his obviously very limited life?

What would you do?

Maverick

In my hypothetical situation he has a busty blonde nurse who is willing to assist in any way possible. I give up the swim to the guy in the wheelchair and go and give my "peg" to nursie! :D

sumtime

Reaction score
You pack yer gear up and move on, the gentleman in the wheelchair jumps up and begins to unpack the car with his mate laughing their heads off. ;)

mick b

Reaction score
I would let the disabled angler fish my swim no problem at all.

I would also give him my remaining bait, ensure he was set up correctly and even offer him my rod if his wasn't suitable.

What a way to end a brilliant days fishing.

Im sure such charitable action would ensure good karma and bonus points from St Peter when the scales are balanced.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In all honesty and if the fella was a genuine case I would move. It is a bit like when you were a kid watching a old boy catching some nice fish you sit there watching and the fella says would you like a go. It is nice to think that can still happen in this day and age.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it were the only peg with disabled access, and recognised as such, I'd move. Otherwise, no, I couldn't care who turned up, how nicely they requested it, I'm going nowhere. However, I'd not occupy the only disabled access peg on a stretch in the first place. I suspect that would be the only way such a hypothetical scenario could happen in the real world.

theartist

Reaction score
It would be easy to give up the swim and its something i've done in the past for others especially if they have got kids or are not catching much and you've already had a great day.

For a start you have already had two big barbel and a few big chub how many do you want in one go?

It would be a different scenario though if you haven't caught much yourself yet you know the swim is nailed on for a good day. Then of course it would depend on how hot the nurse is.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
In all honesty and if the fella was a genuine case I would move. It is a bit like when you were a kid watching a old boy catching some nice fish you sit there watching and the fella says would you like a go. It is nice to think that can still happen in this day and age.

Happened to me as a kid, I ended up catching my first tench. I've returned the favour as an adult more than once.

In answer to the OP, I would move. I was brought up with the phrase "manners maketh man", it's just the same as standing up on a bus or train for an older person.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would give up the peg but be really peed off if the guy in the wheelchair got up and ran back to the car for his forgotten bait-box a la Lou and Andy.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I'd give it up without a thought. And if he did jump out of the wheelchair i'd probably shout out to them "Glory be, a miracle", and then have a really good laugh, mainly at myself, i'd still enjoy my day no matter what.

maverick 7

Reaction score
I'm not that sure what I would do.....it took ages to build that swim up to what it was when he turned up...and remember....the swim isn't a recognised disabled swim...I never said it was....in fact this is a day ticket stretch of water we're talking about.....it is just that it is the only level peg on the stretch.

I think I would offer to help him to another swim...carry all his gear and get my mobile shovel from the boot of my car and dig it level for him.....but I can't see any way I would give the peg up for him.

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
After the earlier haul, I would be happy to move on after satisfying myself that he had the correct permit.

After all, it is only fishing!!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Irrespective on another individuals physical impairment, you are on a catch of a lifetime, if not a catch of 10 lifetimes. You sometimes need to be a little self focused in life and therefore say, go fish another stretch, I am in the swim and catching big time!!!!!

maverick 7

Reaction score
Hmmmm......it seems most of you are saints in disguise.....which surprises me quite a lot. We go fishing in the rain, the cold, the wind and even the snow...all for the sole purpose of finding a brilliant days fishing and when after many years of searching you finally find it .....you give it away????

I would have thought the call of catching river fish after river fish would have been far too strong to resist......

Looks like I have been proved wrong....I would have bet my life that most of you would have kept the peg for yourselves......

Just shows you eh?

Maverick

Reaction score
There can be a big difference between what people say they would do on a web forum and the reality when actually faced with the situation.

I would give up my peg, but I'd shoot the guy in the leg just to make sure.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Ten bucks says the guy in the wheelchair is an Arsenal player :D

Hopeless on his feet and not allowed to drive.......the prosecution rests, MiLud....:eek:mg:

maverick 7

Reaction score
There can be a big difference between what people say they would do on a web forum and the reality when actually faced with the situation.

I would give up my peg, but I'd shoot the guy in the leg just to make sure.

I think you're right there Mr Cholmondeley......if the situation ever became a reality....I wonder....

......would they REALLY give it up?......but all I can do is ask and all they can do is answer...which they have.

Maverick