Quick Change Beads on pole rigs?

davethesax

Reaction score
Being a newbie to the pole and yet to wet a line I’m making up some rigs and I wonder if there would be any disadvantage using quick change beads on the rigs?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being a newbie to the pole and yet to wet a line I’m making up some rigs and I wonder if there would be any disadvantage using quick change beads on the rigs?

At the top of the rig, above the float? The Stonfo or Dacron connector is a quick-change device so you wouldn't need a bead.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
At the top of the rig, above the float? The Stonfo or Dacron connector is a quick-change device so you wouldn't need a bead.

I totally agree with Jack on this one.

I cannot see any advantage at all in incorporating yet another device when connecting to a standard Stonfo or Dacron connector.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, didn’t explain myself properly.:eek: I mean hook link to mainline conection.

No problem Dave, personally I still wouldn't recommend that as one of the main benefits of fishing a long pole and short line is the excellent presentation of bait you will get.

My view is to keep as little "ironwork" out of the rig as possible.

A simple loop to loop conenction for the rig main line to the hooklength is perfectly adequate and gives a much better presentation than if you have a metal connector in between.

davethesax

Reaction score
Sorry Peter, again I’m assumed people can read my mind.:eek:mg: The quick change beads I’m referring to are made by Korum from some sort of plastic, contain no metal and are of neutral buoyancy.
My reasoning is that when rod fishing I found it easier to change hook-link / hooks using quick change beads than loop to loop which I found fiddly:eek: to separate the join.

Reaction score
Dave

The korum quick change beads are designed for ledgering.

You could use them for float fishing with rod or pole, but why?

Using the loop to loop method to join your hook link as quicker and simpler, has less resistance and is cheaper, so why use the connector? It solves a problem that really doesn't exist.

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi Dave!
To get going perhaps to make it easy, select your three popular hook sizes and two different float types (one for still and one for windy conditions) and three of each type. make your rigs up at home, that's six in total and this will be less fiddling around on the bank!:):)

davethesax

Reaction score
Well I think my idea using Q.C.Bs is a non-starter.:eek: Can’t resist saying “Dead in the water”. Thanks to all for you greatly appreciated advice and comments:)

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Hi Dave!
To get going perhaps to make it easy, select your three popular hook sizes and two different float types (one for still and one for windy conditions) and three of each type. make your rigs up at home, that's six in total and this will be less fiddling around on the bank!:):)

Whatcha Paul nice to hear from you.:) Thanks for you post, will take on board your tip. I checked out your Burnham Boys. Good stuff.:cool: Well done.:):)