A single most important element?

B

binka

With all the talk currently going on regarding baits in the very excellent recent threads that are running it prompted me to wonder if there is a single most important element that you consider is key to a successful session... more so than anything else?

It could of course be the bait itself or maybe for some it's a lesser attractive bait presented in a better manner that will score higher... is it swim choice for those that are able to or the conditions on the day and the days leading up to your session, and it could of course be preparation perhaps or even confidence on a less scientific scale?

If you had to tap into that winning combination of all the elements which make up that golden day and extract just one what would you pick out as the single most important factor?

Not easy I appreciate but I think i'm going for presentation closely followed by bait.

No use if you aren't on a fish but you can of course attract them in.

Which is it for you?

laguna

Reaction score
Minerals.
Not just salt (sodium chloride) but all minerals which are essential for life will attract fish and catch fish when added to the outside of baits (all baits).

Oh yeah, inanimate and plastic sterile baits are good too!....:wh

That's all I'm saying on the subject! :p:D

B

binka

Minerals.
Not just salt (sodium chloride) but all minerals which are essential for life will attract fish and catch fish when added to the outside of baits (all baits).

Oh yeah, inanimate and plastic sterile baits are good too!....:wh

That's all I'm saying on the subject! :p:D

That's two... you're only allowed one (or maybe one and a "closely followed by") ;) :D

dead peg

Reaction score
I think feeding and how you feed is the most important .whatever your using on the hook youve got to coax the fish into feeding confidently :)

P

pointngo

For me it's the weather, which has a huge bearing on the extent to which fish feed and their location. I suspect that some things are more important than others depending on venue and species though.

mick b

Reaction score
Its got to be that 'feeling', the one that tells you your going to catch something really good today.

The times Ive felt it and gone out and caught special fish are not that many over sixty plus years of fishing but when I get that feeling nothing but nothing would keep me from the water.

Anyone else had that 'feeling' or is it just me and (dread the thought) Chris Yates?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Long experienced that "feeling", Mick - dropping everything to be on a water somewhere that I just know is going "hot" or phoning a friend to get to it if I can't. Long experienced "in the zone" periods, too - times when you're fishing out of your skull, zapping fish at a rate that leaves you bemused and a little shaky afterwards. Long experienced "the moment", too - knowing that you're about to have your fly, bait or lure taken. Wonderful, almost magical, feelings that keep me fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Fish location. The best bait presented perfectly won't catch fish that aren't there.

I agree with Sam, the primary factor is fish Location:

A poor bait presented in the right place will catch far more than a brilliant bait presented in the wrong place.
(closely followed by presentation).

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
The one thing I cant leave at home, fortunately, which is 40+ years of experience, the one item I would love to buy is a better memory.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Long experienced that "feeling", Mick - dropping everything to be on a water somewhere that I just know is going "hot" or phoning a friend to get to it if I can't. Long experienced "in the zone" periods, too - times when you're fishing out of your skull, zapping fish at a rate that leaves you bemused and a little shaky afterwards. Long experienced "the moment", too - knowing that you're about to have your fly, bait or lure taken. Wonderful, almost magical, feelings that keep me fishing.

I think this magic spark is something to do with all the information our brains have stored over many years and now and again all the little snippits of information like the time the weather and many many other things all drop into place and our brains alert us to the fact that a good day or a pick up is on the cards.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Are we talking about any type of fishing and any species? because for me the answer may change depending on which it is but mostly it would be location.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Don't scare the fish in the first place !

You see so many drop their gear down, knock in a bank stick/brolly, clump about for 10 minutes, stand on the skyline and then claim "the fish ain't avin it today mate".

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Location - bait - presentation, in that order is the long established mantra but I think on a hard fished carp water (maybe other species too) with well fed fish it should read :
Location, presentation, bait