cheap bite alarms

nicky

Reaction score
Had a few problems with my bite alarms recently and thinking about getting some new fox microns but with a long list of stuff that needs replacing thought these might keep me going unbelievably cheap and from a decent make anyone tried them.
Pro logic 1 tone bite alarm (green) | eBay

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sports Direct do a pair, with bobbins and batteries for £13.99 - Dunlop brand. Not noted for fishing tackle but I've got a pair and they do the job fine.

nicky

Reaction score
Yea i think they all do a job only reservation i have with cheap alarms is when used in pronlonged rain they often quickly give up the ghost i once had a set of ron thompsons which were about 18 quid each that lasted about one season

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

nicky

Reaction score
i like the look of the illuminated roller wheel on the prologic alarm as i a fair bit of night fishing

nicky

Reaction score
well i received the bite alarms and they sent me different ones to the photos on ebay i actually received prologic wusb alarms (this model appears to be obselete) but i just found them on fishtec website and 3 of these alarms with receiver originally had a rrp of £250.
Dont know if they are cheaper alarms that have been housed in the more expensive case but seems unlikely they were all in the original prologic packaging.

the postage cost 2.60 per alarm so they are selling them 4.40 which seems crazy

mick b

Reaction score
Use a 2p coin and an old hub cap, ideally steel but plastic works just as well.

Balance the coin on the spool and place the hubcap, dish side upwards underneath the spool.

When you get a run the coin is dislodged and falls onto the hubcap with a noise that will wake the dead :D

Works in any weather except strong winds, requires no power source and cheap as chips.

Simples...;)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Balance the coin on the spool and place the hubcap, dish side upwards underneath the spool.

When you get a run the coin is dislodged and falls onto the hubcap with a noise that will wake the dead :D

Works in any weather except strong winds, requires no power source and cheap as chips.

Simples...;)

A friend of mine had a 30 pound carp using a penny and tin 1n 82.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you have bait runners and you' re not going to sleep.....who needs alarms....when a run occurs, the spool spinning makes enough noise surely.

Maverick

You are right but in the case of fishing a feature the fish will be in it if the reel is not locked down some of the alarms work on a vibration system and will pick up the slightest movement. Or you could just watch the tip.

terry m

Reaction score

Simples...;)

I believe that a certain well known carpy company supply camo hub caps, but you can only buy them in sets of 3!!:wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't recall the last time I saw a metal hub cap outside of an old fly tipping site or a scrap yard. I doubt that many under thirty, beyond a very vague idea, would even know what a hub cap was. Besides, who in their right mind is going to carry hubcaps when they could use a decent bite alarm that's a fraction of the size and weight?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could go up market and use a stainless bowl as long as you do not nick the dogs.

nicky

Reaction score
You lot are all mad fp

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

And who said i was using them for carp i may b roach fishing :)

Wilko

Reaction score
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't recall the last time I saw a metal hub cap outside of an old fly tipping site or a scrap yard. I doubt that many under thirty, beyond a very vague idea, would even know what a hub cap was. Besides, who in their right mind is going to carry hubcaps when they could use a decent bite alarm that's a fraction of the size and weight?

I think the reply was slightly tongue-in-cheek and if not, it doesn't require much ingenuity to adapt it in line with 'modern' angling.
It was a method used for decades by many respected anglers long before electronics became an intrinsic part of todays angling as in conjunction with a bobbin it was cheap, reliable and effective and accounted for many specimen fish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think the reply was slightly tongue-in-cheek and if not, it doesn't require much ingenuity to adapt it in line with 'modern' angling.
It was a method used for decades by many respected anglers long before electronics became an intrinsic part of todays angling as in conjunction with a bobbin it was cheap, reliable and effective and accounted for many specimen fish.

I had got that, though I doubt you realise just how snooty some folks can be about bite alarms.;):D However, the point still stands, who in their right mind is going to carry a metal bowl, tray etc when a bite alarm is smaller and lighter?