Fishiest Fish

terry m

Reaction score
We all have a view on what is our favourite fish species for whatever reason, but what do you think is the fishiest fish?

By that I mean the fish that most closely fits your mental stereotype of what a true fish looks like?

I thought about roach and rudd, but for me it is the barbell.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you ask a kid to draw a fish they will draw something which looks like a chub so for me the chub has it.

B

binka

I think i'm going for a roach on this one, for me anyway.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To my mind it would have to be the Roach.

It was the first fish I ever caught in a local pond on the common.

It may have only been a stunted little 4 inch specimen but that one fish started my out on the next 50 odd years of fishing . . . . . . .

At ths time of the year in particular I try to get out and catch as many as I can.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Wanted to say tench but has to be the roach. Crucian carp should be mentioned in despatches too - and the humble gudgeon.

Oh, what the hell - I love them all. :)

terry m

Reaction score
I think roach is a very good shout. For me - and it is a personal thing - the stereotypical fish shape has pointed fins, so that would definitely rule out tench and crucians etc.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Terry,

Like you say, personal thing but I love the paddles on a tench and the crucian is just sheer beauty, a little bar of gold - but I do agree the roach, especially the one in the pic, is absolutely stunning.

Phil. :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
If you ask a kid to draw a fish they will draw something which looks like a chub so for me the chub has it.

I think the chub is the most quintessential of all fish.

Having been a lad, if I had been asked to draw a fish I would have drawn a shark. Perhaps I should be saying shark? :confused:

slaphead

Reaction score
Rainbow trout for me.

But if I was in Greece it would have to be perfectly cooked swordfish with a garlic and lemon dressing. :)