Advice on good thermos flask please.

mick b

Reaction score
Fished this week and suffered several quickly cooling coffees from my flask.
Now I realise its come to the end of the road..:eek:

I urgently need a new 1litre + flask for fishing only so what is the one you use?....and would you recommend it?

My old one, a Stainless 1litre Thermos was purchased in 1994 and apart from an short break has been in use all the time, so it hasn't done bad I reckon!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Aladdin Challenger. I have a few different metal flasks. The Challenger is the best of the lot.

B

binka

I bought one of these Thermos flasks a couple of years ago and it's been brilliant, just about bomb proof, the perfect size for me, the handle comes in handy when roving without a bag and it keeps stuff piping hot all day...

Genuine THERMOS FLASK Stainless King stainless steel vacuum flask 0.47L / 1.2L | eBay

Before filling with tea I always stand it for a minute or so with freshly boiled water in it so the cold flask heats up ready and doesn't take any heat out of the tea when it's filled :)

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought my first Stanley thirty years ago it lasted 20 years I have tried one other a Thermos but the stopper lasted about five years so I bought another Stanley and it is still on the go.

xenon

Reaction score
A worth while tip regarding flasks (apologies if you already know/do this)
is to fill the flask with hot water to warm it in the first instance and then replace with coffee/tea etc. which means the heat of your drink is not being used to "prime" the flask.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have said this before so apologies................

IMHO Thermos Flasks are all much of a muchness. Personally I use the standard John Lewis one litre stainless steel type (virtually indestructable!) and I use one for the summer and two in the winter. They do a good job and I've had the same ones for years, simply because I follow simple rules to get the best from them.
First of all my flasks only ever hold hot water. whatever else I add, be it tea, coffee etc. it always goes separately - separate tea bags and separate coffee sachets of good coffee and separate milk because for me they are as much a part of my fishing as my rods. I like a decent cup!
In only ever using hot water I avoid the flask 'odour' and the water stays hot for the duration. In winter I use two simply because after using 2/3rds of the first one the water is usually cold so I can go straight to the second for a really hot cup. It works well!!
When I fill the flasks at home I always heat the flask with hot water prior to filling for the trip which might seem OTT but it is stainless steel which needs heating one way or the other so preferably NOT by you trip water.....

Yes, I agree some need a bigger flask for longer outings but I still maintain two is better than one IF heat is important especially in winter. If I want to stay for that extra hour I absolutely NEED that hot(ish) drink at the end of the day even more than food.....

The last point concerns cleaning; I don't have smell problems but because of hard water a film forms on the inside of the flask and this, in my opinion, affects heat. to deal with this I use a long nylon brush made for the job and this keeps the flask in top condition.

I have no doubt others will have an equally good fool proof method, but this way of mine has worked for years and although fuffing around with teabags. milk etc may seem OTT it is worth the effort...............The end result is FRESH tea as near as is possible!

My tipple is Assam generally but in summer Earl Grey which is lighter..

ps On night trips the standard tom soup was always good but that was years ago!

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Like Binka, I also have a Thermos King flask.

I've had frost on the outside of the flask come the end of the day in winter and the contents were still too hot to drink.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had my Stanley Classic flasks for ages. They are the ones in the 'hammered' green colour.

Absolutely reliable, and keeps drinks hot to the last cup.

I have the 1 litre regular flask, the 0.7l wide mouth and the little hip flask as well.

Cannot praise them highly enough.

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I have a stainless steel flask, can't remember the make. I never drink my Tea when it's hot anyway, so it doesn't affect me as much as others. If i am so cold i need a really hot drink to warm me up, i'm dressed wrong or i am packing up and going home.

Reaction score
I have has my Stanley Classic flasks for ages. They are the ones in the 'hammered' green colour.

Absolutely reliable, and keeps drinks hot to the last cup.

I have the 1 litre regular flask, the 0.7l wide mouth and the little hip flask as well.

Cannot praise them highly enough.

You forgot to mention your wood burning thingy Peter. What ate they called? I'm drawing a blank. Must be a señor moment.

Reaction score
That's the one Sam.

I want one I like the idea of it. I'm not sure I can use one on my club waters though. I must consult the FM consultant bailiff on the matter.

The bad one

Reaction score
Had a Coleman 1ltr for nearly 30 years and it's still going strong. 21 quid when I bought it which was expensive but over it years of usage worked out very cheap :)

maverick 7

Reaction score
I would go with 1. Stanley......2. Thermos

I used to have an Aladdin but I thought it was rubbish....but it was some years ago...I am very intrigued by the Challenger....I will look into that as I am not too far away from a new one myself.

Maverick

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You forgot to mention your wood burning thingy Peter. What ate they called? I'm drawing a blank. Must be a señor moment.

I still use my Kelly Kettle but only on one or two venues where they are still allowed.

I still think nothing beats that freshly brewed cuppa in the car park afer a day on the river; time to consider the day and watch river and the little flames and then the steam is it rises.

Magic.

john step

Reaction score
I have a Stanley flask which has worked fine but no better in reality than the Tesco stainless steel jobs that cost under a fiver. I abuse and dent flasks so a Tesco one lasts a year before it is relegated to preparing my hemp.