Have you got the balls?

davethesax

Reaction score
Bit old hat. Maggots have been presented in this way for at least 15 years to my knowledge and probably longer. I.e. maggot ring/clip, sticky mag, hair rigging plus many more that I can’t even remember.:wh
How long before someone announces they have discovered a killer bait for carp call potato? :eek:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Bit old hat. Maggots have been presented in this way for at least 15 years to my knowledge and probably longer. I.e. maggot ring/clip, sticky mag, hair rigging plus many more that I can’t even remember.:wh
How long before someone announces they have discovered a killer bait for carp call potato? :eek:

Spuds, bah.

Gnocchi ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Potato wasn't as widely used or effective during the 50's and 60's as some might believe. Apart from Cheshunt Reservoir, where it was widely used and became the 'in' bait for a while, bread (in various guises) was the bait the accounted for most of the big carp.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Potato wasn't as widely used or effective during the 50's and 60's as some might believe. Apart from Cheshunt Reservoir, where it was widely used and became the 'in' bait for a while, bread (in various guises) was the bait the accounted for most of the big carp.

Potato:- Possibly due to the writings of Hugh Sherringham at the turn of the century. Didn't he fish Cheshunt?

The most often quoted reason for using ''par boiled spud'' was that it was immune from the attentions of small fish.

The pioneers of carping, like Sherringham, believed that to get a take at all was a triumph. Hence the bait had to ''remain in place'' for the duration of the session. In his later years Sherringham observed, ''life's too short to take up carp fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Potato:- Possibly due to the writings of Hugh Sherringham at the turn of the century. Didn't he fish Cheshunt?

The most often quoted reason for using ''par boiled spud'' was that it was immune from the attentions of small fish.

The pioneers of carping, like Sherringham, believed that to get a take at all was a triumph. Hence the bait had to ''remain in place'' for the duration of the session. In his later years Sherringham observed, ''life's too short to take up carp fishing.

Yes he did Derek. I believe he mentioned catching a 16lb'er there in one of his books (Coarse Fishing?)and spent 'half the book' describing the capture.

Yep, just checked 16lb 5oz on lobworm 1911

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I remember back in the 60's seeing a carp angler fishing in a small lake in Alexandra park in Hastings using boiled spuds. He peeled them but left a circle of skin on each side which he threaded his hooklink through. Never saw him catch one though....

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have caught chub on chips in the past.

As carp seem to occasionally eat potatoes I would think that chips would work for them as well.

I might give it a try, I bet there can't be many Carp that have been caught on them. ;)

davethesax

Reaction score
Thank all who have replied:)
My original post was in response to the article on the FM Homepage titled “Maggots - Have you got the balls?” it was promoting “The Maggot Ball System” :eek::pand it was this that provoked my criticism of being “Old Hat” but somehow the replies have been about potato’s as a bait.:eek:mg:

Any thoughts on this “alleged” new system?