We Know Nowt!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thoughts please. There must be plenty on this one!

C

Curly

It's right, who are we to say whether fish are fooled by baits, rigs etc? Are we the fools half the time? Who really knows?

I seriously think that after a day where we have blanked, the fish are there just below the surface with two big fins giving us the V sign.

D

Dave Dowding

To add another level to the flavours side of the discussion Graham.
I remember reading many an article and seeing for myself on occasion where anglers were using highly successful flavour combinations that all of a sudden were considered too highly flavoured. To make the hookbait 'stand out' from the offerings required a completely different approach instead of being highly flavoured they were actually left soaking in lake water to dilute them to a stage where they imitated a bait that had been left for maybe a couple of days!
The explanantion behind this approach was that the fish were becoming wary of 'fresh' baits.
At least this different approach can be tried with no alterations to recipes and flavour combinations by bait companies,and can be done on the bankside by anyone who wants to give it a go. This at least allows you to try something out without having to go out and buy the 'new improved formula' of the bait you just bought recently.

J

john conway

The two questions we should ask ourselves and others we wish to emulate is: - do we catch fish because of what we do or in spite of what we do. Most of the time it will be in spite of what we do rather than because of what we do. One of the most straight forward questions is how big are the fish in the water I’m fishing because in spite of what you do, you wont catch the big ones if there’re are no big fish in the water you‘re fishing.

K

Kevan Farmer

IF there are fish in your chosen swim and IF those fish happen to be hungry then they might just humour you IF the bait is what they want at that particular time. Fish are the same as humans when it comes to taste. Walk into a curry house and what do you buy? Some of us have to have that vindaloo fix while others love a mild creamy korma. Still others prefer fish and chips on that occasion. Next day it could be totally different. This is what makes fishing so interesting.

Kevan

C

Chris Bishop

I think half the problem is that some branches of the sport have become very entrenched and prescriptive.

Take pikers and received wisdom on air pressure, for example. Every other species has its crop of pet theories and sacred cows.

Sometimes you catch fish by doing something different, no matter how daft or against all the rules it seems.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry - hit the button before I'd finished.

Resistance - I don't see how you can eliminate it, so better try and use it to your advantage in a self-hooking rig of some sort. For example I find zander - which are supposedly renowned as being prone to dropping baits - far easier to hook on bolt rigs.

Colour - I messed about with this no end a few years back and am still no nearer understanding it. Lure anglers have some bewildering theories about why fire tiger is better on such and such a day, why copper spoons usually outfish brass-coloured ones etc. Talk to different people fishing the same water and they'll rate different colours.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I feel the more you learn the less you know. Constantly trying to improve or modify baits/tactics will usually lessen your chances by multiplying the odds of finding a successful combination. Too often the baby is thrown out with the bathwater, when you are rushing to try 'prototypes' and 'improvements' in this age of instant results. Are fish so clever that you need a new bait/rig every week to fool them? Are they really that evolved? No - we are making them look clever to make us even cleverer when when catch them. Trying to analyse a fish's thought processes is probably beyond our most celebrated ichthyologists (Please note, thought processes - not behaviour.)

You can liken the conundrum to men's understanding of women, just when you think you have got it sorted, they will not only change the rules, but you will find they are playing an entirely different game. And it's your fault for not realising!!

R

Ron Clay

I often wonder about flavours. Do they really work or have many of us been conned?

There must have been millions of pounds made by the flavour and additive suppliers over the years.

And by the way, what's this business about being an old-timer?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You must be an old-timer Ron - you're older than me!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No, I'm much younger than you - 15th April. But thanks anyway

Ian Clark

Reaction score
Anglers give fish too much credit. The things to learn are the places carp lie, swim and feed and the times of day they get hungry. Fish are dumb creatures and to catch them all we need to do is entice them to feed. Right hook for the right bait. Lie of the bait and nothing to advertise the fact that if you eat it your hooked and dragged out of the water. you will have as good a chance as any rig, bait or flavour.

C

Carl Mayfield

I have always been a bright bait angler, especialy where carp are involved. If this is actually making a difference i don't know. After reading this article i may well try dark coloured baits and see what difference that makes.
Cheers

Carl

M

Mike Parker

I'm not as ancient as Ron (although sometimes I feel it) and I'm nowhere near as rich as Mac Wallet but experience has taught me to KISS Keep It Simple Stupid!
Gone are the days of taking the 'kitchen sink' fishing I take a rod a reel (when I remmember it) and a few bits and pieces if I can't catch with the few bits I've got then they ain't worth catching that day and I can get on with enjoying the countryside.

R

Roger McCourtney

My view is that, as long as a carp (assuming we are referring to carp) has not been caught previously on the offered bait, and provided the bait is presented in a way that THAT fish is not frightened AND provided the bait is put into an area that the fish is happy to feed from, it is not very important if the bait is highly flavoured nor brightly coloured. It is a bit like religion really, you either have faith or not! Personally I do not bother colouring my carp bait (boilies) I do use glugged hook baits though, it makes me feel better!! This subject is the proverbial, how long is a piece of string?!!!