tungsten putty use

neil smith 2

Reaction score
ive got some tungsten putty. whats the best way of using it as when i put it on it seems to move along the line with any movement. its quite hard aswell so can you soften it any way?

F

Frothey

what are you using it for?

a small wrap of lead wire (fly tying or the inside of leadcore) can help give it something to grip onto, if using it on combi-links with pop-ups, add it to the swivel or knots.

Reaction score
Neil

Is it Kryston Heavy metal that you are using? This stuff is amazing.

If it's the Kryston Heavy Metal then break off a small amount and stretch it and kneed it a bit with your fingertips. There is an ingredient in it that will soften. It will harden again when cooled in water.

The brown and green is for summer use and grey is for winter.

It's best squeezed onto a small swivel if you are using a combi rig. If you are using coated braid then squeeze it on at the point where you strip the coating back to. To help grip then pull the coating back until it concertiners upa bit into a small lump.

You can also 'twiddle' it back and forth along the line to coat the line like paint. This will create a distributed load rather than a point load.

If you are fishing a long hook lenght obn a river say, then you can twiddle a number of small pieces onto the line to weight it down.

Take a look at THISfor a bit more info.

Hope that helps.

Deanos

Reaction score
Matt,

I have used some of the putty this week for the first time on braid, liked the effect a lot!, easy to use and a very versatile product which I shall use for popping up crust instead of nipping swan shot on the line, and a few other variations.

BUT!

As it does go sticky and coats your fingers, I wondered if it might also be toxic in any way through being absorbed through the skin. I know nothing about the metals used or carrier...what do you think?

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I use the fox putty for popped up boilies, I had the same problem on my braid so I used some power gum to tie astop knot cut the ends short then moulda tiny bit ofputty around it.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
how long do you play with it! It should be a little tacky but not to the extent of coating your fingers, what putty do you use?

Deanos

Reaction score
The Kryston Dan, could be I was over working the putty?, not sure how much to work the stuff as I have just recived it. Excellent idea as regards the powergum stop knot!!!

Morespiders

Reaction score
The stickiness was most likely of your fingers from the last jam tart you ate,

If its coating your fingers your getting it to warm Deano's, but it will stick like s---t.

no it's not toxic

Reaction score
Deanos

You only need to stretch and 'snap' a small piece for a few seconds to soften it.

The brown and green is for summer use and the grey is for winter (its softer). It will harden again when immersed in water for a few seconds before casting.

The stuff is non toxic.

It is 98% tungsten powder. It contains ingredients that are used in chewing gum and peanut treats.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's not toxic, Deanos.

I understand they're feeding it to the next generation of moon astronauts to help with the lack of gravity up there.

(some of the above statement may not be correct)