Help needed in choosing reel.

L

Luke Allsop

Hi,

I'm about to start carp fishing and I would like some advice on which Shimano reel I should get, I've been thinking about the baitrunner Aero 5000RE to go with the 2.5lb carp rods I've just bought. I'll be fishing small-medium sized waters so line capacity isn't vital. My budget is £250 for a pair.

Thanks

Luke

L

Luke Allsop

Thanks Cakey.

It seems a bit big though, what size of reel would you recommend for general carp fishing?

Thanks again.

Luke

L

Luke Allsop

Thank you Mark, I'll get two of the 6000 models. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Luke ....I thought they were a nice size ,especially as you will want to go to france if the bug really bites

paulhereford

Reaction score
Try the daiwa emcast evo 5000. You can use the front drag as a freespool by simply adjusting the drag to suit. You can get the reel for less than £50 and in my opinion they are every bit as good as the shimanos.

C

Cakey

Paul....Im glad that your opinion/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

why would anyone want to put them selves through all that hassle when there are baitrunners on the market I just dont know

also Shimano v Daiwa no contest shimano are built 10 times better with top made gears in the world and and and look better

L

Luke Allsop

I'll get the 8000 models instead, seems a good compromise.

N

Nobby C (ACA)

I keep banging on about them but the original seaspin baitrunners are rock solid, metal spooled,not so hot on line lay but unless you're going for 70 yard plus casts regularly it don't matter a bean. Proper corrosion proof (seaspin!) and will do all you need for approx £30 each second hand. I've got 4 and I'm keeping them ta, if you do go s/h I'lloffer you my aero 4500 Shimano, 2 c/w 7 spools for £70

paulhereford

Reaction score
i disagree but its all about opinions now isnt it and if my daiwas let me down i will eat my words :)

Carpless

Reaction score
With 2 year warranty, if my shimano's let me down then i'll send them for free repair...

C

Cakey

after 2 years half the time they dont charge ....superb back up service and like I say proper bait runners ,no mucking about with clutches

and wait until the daiwa boys forget and cast with the spool right out and they bend the shaft ...............................

R

Robert Woods

Are the origional Seaspins any good for barbel fishing...???

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

We've had this so many times on FM,

It's Shimano's all the way for me, no competition...

B

Bully

If you are going to fish for carp regularly, why on earth would anyone not chose a "baitrunner" style reel? It just doesn't make sense........

I have 5000's and 8000's, and if I could only have one pair then I would go for 5000's, or one of each. You can still get good distance covered with a 5000 and it just gives you a few more options in terms of using them for other styles of fishing (e.g. barbel fishing).

Definitely Shimano though.

L

Luke Allsop

I've just got the 8000's from a local dealer and I've just tried them out, marvellous! Although the rods aren't (they're a couple of cheap shakespeares, I know it's a bit wierd spending a fortune on reels and not getting good rods but I heard they were pretty good, pretty rubbish more like and very shakey!).

C

Cakey

shimano reels 55 quid each leaves you £150 out of your budget

BRAND NEW 2 X SHIMANO ALIVO BX 12FT 2.75LB SL CARP ROD £64.99 Post Free

two of these job done