thorpe lea

ron withey

Reaction score
i have heard that it has been taken over .what has changed over there .has the price gone up and who now runs it

Rob29

Reaction score
Ron, as i work round the corner i noticed the new owners mentioned on the board, I don't think prices have changed but they have put new fencing around the roadside which should keep out trespassers, i should be fishing there soon and will try and find out info from the bailiffs.

Rob29

Reaction score
I'm planning to go there this weekend and will keep you updated

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Did a 48 hour coaching session last week the client banked nine carp. Seven carp were over the 20lb mark the biggest 25lb 6oz considering the temperatures over nite froze the water in my bucket and the unhooking mat I think he did very well.

Here is the biggest carp

IMG_3888.CR2.jpg

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Terry yes mate pegs 49.50 and 45 all close the the island on the M"% bank also pegs 15,16 & 17 The beech swim . Small baits 10mm bright reds or yellows small size 20 hooks and little PVA bags of pellets and boilie crumb. Keep re casting every 20 mins and dont give up keep it going.

The key is small bright baits dont be tempted to use larhe baits or hooks as the carp will not have it at all.

Tight Lines

IMG_4012.JPG

latest client catch 18lb 8oz

terry byatt 3

Reaction score
Thanx Ian,

Another question to answer if u may, what is the best way to

hook plastic sweetcorn?

B

Barry Edney

Size 20 hooks???? Is that a typo?

So has anything changed over there since the takeover? Can you turn up and get a ticket on the bank?

Terry, I would say hair-rig. I used to put a large real kernel either side of a plastic one on a hair. This setup was supposed to have nuetral bouyancy. Never tested it so can't vouch for that.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Terry simply hair rig the plastic corn long ways with a soft braid if possible to impart as much natural movement to the bait as possible.

Barry The new owner has made a huge difference to the venue. It now has a full fence all around the lake so its very secure and you cant creep intothe venue before the gates are open.

All of the swims have been tided up and are now very very clean and tidy.

There is a bait and tackle shop on site as well as a couple of proper toilets. The ticket price is still £12.00 for twp rods which is excellent value for money.

And yes the size 20 hook was a huge Typo it should have read size 12 sorry

Tight Lines

ron withey

Reaction score
Hi mate you can just turn up and get a ticket only one problem with the place numptys want to fish your swim from another swim was there lastweek fishing peg 25 and some one fishing peg 20 fished 15yards infront of me i had a word and you might as well talked to the bloody ducks !!!!!!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Good luck Terry

I will be there on Tuesday for 48 Hours as well. Ron sorry you hade a bad time any venue that is day ticket based and has such a huge stocking of carp will always attract a wide selection of anglers of all different skill sets. This unfortunatly means you will get the occasional numpty who cannot see what they are doing iswrong. The best thing to do in that situation is talk to Gary he will come and sort it out for you.

Regards

Ian Gemson

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
"I take it that the Carp have parrot mouths then."

Yes Ray. A lot of the fish do have badly damaged mouths. They were like that from the original RMC stocking - the fish were from Draycott (?) reservoir stock. It's not the present anglers on the lake who caused the damage but those who fished their first home. I live a mile away and have fished it quite a few times.

It's also a good venue to catch a carp on a fly-rod, if that interests you.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have to disagree with Geoff some of the fish show mouth damage from their days at Drayton Res with the occasional one having a real bad mouth. But on the whole I would say the larger fish all seem to have very good condition mouths.

Its a shame that any fish gets damaged in the name of sport, however I would not let this put you off Thorpe Lea as the fish are in great condition and fight like tigers.

I would also point out that despite the stocking levels being on the high side the fishing can be very very difficult at time. However get the right bait on the right rig in the right place and you can have a fantastic days angling.

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
That sounds like you agree with me Ian, rather than not - of course, I never catch the larger fish!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Everything Ian says about the place should be noted as he is a real expert on this water. I have watched him in action and it is quite astounding how he pulls fish after fish out of that lake when other good anglers around him are blanking. If you plan on spending any time on this water at all, I seriously recommend booking Ian for a day to guide you. It will be money very well spent because he is seriously VERY, VERY good at it.

C

Cakey

youve not met Ray yet then.........................................................boy the man can blank/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif