Canoe Access to all waters in Wales

mick b

Reaction score
This page is now open –

Have Your Say On Open Access: The Right to Roam?

This needs a few anglers to give their perspective to counter the canoe lobby who are a bit vocal.

Have a look and leave a comment

All these damn 'rights' what about the rights of the Riparian landowner or those who pay good money to fish his water, don't they have any 'rights'?

Some nerd in a canoe expects to come along and pay nothing, contribute nothing towards the upkeep of the river, to land on any bit of bank and paddle over/through an anglers swim/pool as and when he wishes...because he has 'rights'......bog off!!!

Get your money out canoeists, then you can buy your 'rights' and do as you wish, remembering of course that the countryside has laws and is not to be treated like a Martini advert!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Did anyone comment ? I have read the site and there isn,t much from Anglers.

robtherake

Reaction score
If it's the same "Andy", this Biddulph character made a bloody nuisance of himself on Angler's Net.
He's militant, extremely vocal and is blind and deaf to the views of others.

He's absolutely determined to end any kind of access restrictions for paddlers and it seems he's lobbying anyone who'll listen.

If it's definitely the same guy - and it appears so from his rhetoric - there's video posted on Youtube of him and a few others trampling up a tiny feeder stream barely wide enough to use a paddle and having a p*** up round a fire in the corner of someones field. That's the sort of access he's interested in, where he and his ilk are permitted to trash the countryside at their leisure.

B

binka

There's going to be a nasty accident one of these days if incidents on the river I'm fishing are anything to go by.

Twice I've had paddlers come through a blind archway on the near bank when fishing below a bridge with taut heavy braid only inches away and the surprise on their faces when they see me clearly says that they had no anticipation and no idea.

On a separate occasion another had a split second near miss as a six inch rubber shad complete with 15g jig head and 3/0 hook landed right on the pin of a spot he'd just emerged from as he appeared on the far side of an island after I had cast out and it was literally a split second near miss.

I wonder who'll be to blame when something does happen (and it will)... the angler doing what he's always done under the correct permissions or the invasion of paddlers who in my experience appear to show no awareness or regard for others around them?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
If it's definitely the same guy - and it appears so from his rhetoric - there's video posted on Youtube of him and a few others trampling up a tiny feeder stream barely wide enough to use a paddle and having a p*** up round a fire in the corner of someones field. That's the sort of access he's interested in, where he and his ilk are permitted to trash the countryside at their leisure.

Got a link for that Rob?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If it's the same "Andy", this Biddulph character made a bloody nuisance of himself on Angler's Net.
He's militant, extremely vocal and is blind and deaf to the views of others.

He's absolutely determined to end any kind of access restrictions for paddlers and it seems he's lobbying anyone who'll listen.

It is the same guy , i am sure he would be able to explain his behaviour away though he seemingly has an answer for everything , his insistence that paddling has "superior" rights over angling even if public rights of navigation are proven does get up your nose, though.

Most paddlers are very far from being this militant though and many of them also fish.

That video might be interesting as a pointer to what universal access means in practice , there was a great denate on somgofthepaddle with Andy and some anglers re access to Dovedale , sadly the owner of the site doesn't appear to brook any argument and most of the very valid points about trying to navigate a river that appears to be far too shallow most of the year, have been removed and the thread locked.

While i have sympathy for some aspects of the canoeists cause i think the argument about "we only want to share" does fall over on smaller streams , and the claim "canoes have no impact" definitely does if you are going to go trampling through very shallow streams in canoes which haven't been cleaned.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could we not all chip in a few quid and get this bloke kidnapped and sent over Niagara or better still Angel falls in one of his beloved canoes. He is set in his ways give him a free ride of a lifetime.:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
Bit busy at the mo, Geoff; I'll look it up later today.

Discrimination - Conservation & Politics - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net

River signage - Conservation & Politics - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net
signage/

Errm, something to do with the Wensum - Conservation & Politics - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net

Navigation Rights continued - Conservation & Politics - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net

right of access - Conservation & Politics - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzDd8qquo4&list=UU7CwlDdB6vMa3ZvwXtOcxqA&index=12]From the Source of the Wensum.avi - YouTube[/ame]

NB: In these posts the gentleman concerned calls himself Andy Youngs, but I believe it's the same guy - same age; same attitude; same old song.

I read (either in one of these posts, or elsewhere) that he only canoes - on average - once a year, but is so vehemently opposed to what he sees as a restriction of his rights that he's prepared to bankrupt himself to prove the point - now that's dedication! Incidentally, it was reported that Mr Youngs/Biddulph/Whoever, lost his fight for access to the Wensum and it did cost him a few bob. Got to admire his persistence, I suppose...

Oh yeah - I believe he tried to use this site as a soapbox but was shown the door.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Andy Youngs is not Andy Biddulph , i am convinced

Edit but I'll check

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I've had a trawl through Mr Young's posts on this site, and he does mention that he's a barbel angler, though he never contributed to any thread discussing angling methods, gear or baits.

He seemed to use the barbel angle to steer threads towards discussing stockings in the Wensum, where he'd found conflict with those pointing out that he was disturbing areas vital to spawning. Personally, I don't believe he has any interest in angling beyond seeing the angling community as his personal bete noire.

B

binka

I'm still slightly confused as the narration on the clip stated the canoe journey occurred during the coarse fishing closed season yet they were confronted by not one but six barbel anglers?

Really?

It's all adding up.

B

binka

Don't you just like this though, taken from that link...

"Martin Salter actually came on the forum and challenged me to a public debate, which I accepted. In fairness to him, that would probably have diffused it. Unfortunately, as soon as I accepted his challenge, I was banned from the forum so I've now got no way of contacting him (what a let off!)."

Oh ******!

And being the man of means that I am I have no idea of how to contact him otherwise :wh