How did everyone get on then?

rutlandrod

Reaction score
Struggled over the last week with my local river losing colour and dropping right back down.

Managed a 4lb chub on a whopping lump of Garlic luncheon meat on Friday evening very last cast as the last bit of light disappeared.

Will do the last few hours this afternoon lets see what happens!

barbelboi

Reaction score
After a difficult roach session on the big gravel pit on Friday (gin clear water and wall to wall sunshine) I shall be returning tomorrow with some caster/hemp (low pressure/cloud predicted) and hope for one or two of the big girls. I shall polish up my forceps just in case..................

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Probably chose the wrong day yesterday what with ground frost quite heavy in the Reading area and my pit looked (and was!) as dead as a dodo.....Today however, is very mild and with a constant light drizzle (or is it mizzle?) it just FEELS as though I might've caught.
As it is I have to face the fact that I have notched up three blanks in a row and I can't remember when that last happened (possibly selective memory..)
I shall be giving the mags/caster a work out if it stays fairly settled this coming week although one day is shot due to car servicing..................more expense!! It's just a waste of good bait money IMHO...

ps How do pellets do in cold weather - worth a try??

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nine grayling and a trout between eight and eleven this morning then back for Sunday dinner. Nothing over a pound landed, so I'm not bothering with pics, you surely don't need to see more 10-14oz grayling. The novelty has just about worn off for me that does the good bit of actually catching them and they are so much quicker to recover if you return them instantly.;)

I lost a decent brownie that I suspect would have done about 2-3lb. I played it for a fair while, despite it doing a fine impression of a trained dolphin, until it shed the hook. Rather more irritatingly, I lost a decent grayling that I'd estimate at well over a pound, possibly even more, after playing it for an age after hooking it a good forty yards downstream. Managed to get it right to the net when it went ballistic and shed the hook, to the accompanying anglers tourette's.:(

tonybull

Reaction score
fished a knock up match on one of the clubs non commercial waters, only silvers and carp up to a 1lb counted, finished 2nd with 1lb 10 oz :D

fished pole at 14.5m most of the match, rock hard fishing

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a couple of hours trotting yesterday and

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice day out on the river Gade, Cassiobury park Thursday. Long trotting maggots on a narrow run between banks. 6 species and 51 fish.
Chublet, roach, gudgeon, bleak, perch, and minnows.
Disappointing day today, the Kennet in Reading town. My peg looked so good, just downstream of a tributary. Trotted bread, maggot, caster and worm to no avail..
6hours alternating between stick float and pole and Cralusso flattie as a static on the pole...
1 bullhead...
Came 4th out of 6 with 8dr..
Top 3 had a chub apiece.
1st 4:12
2nd 4:9
3rd 3:6...

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Back to the Salwarpe after the poor session last week, some nice Perch up to a pound, Chublets, couple of Bleak, a minnow and a half pound Roach. Found a Cralusso float in Mal Storeys Saturday, realised on the bank I hadn't got any float rubbers small enough :eek:mg:

mick b

Reaction score
Found a Cralusso float in Mal Storeys Saturday, realised on the bank I hadn't got any float rubbers small enough :eek:mg:

When those float first hit the shops they all came with their own rubbers and a few spares.
The last one I brought a few weeks ago (from Tackle-Up in Fleet) only had a single rubber on each stem and no spares at all.
At a fiver a throw a few spare rubbers is hardly a big loss of profit don't you think?

The float packaging is easily opened and reclosed and as such could allow a niffty fingered browser to relieve the packet of any spare rubbers with ease?

Perhaps Im being a bit overly sus but this practice is very common on the continent.

Im now going to contact the Cralusso agent and ask for some clarification on it as obviously all things are not equal.

Update;
Ive just emailed the company direct, awaiting an answer, will keep you posted.

Last edited:

rossag

Reaction score
Blanked again. Not caught anything on my Grey's G-Lite but had some follows. They seem more irritated than attracted to my lures. Finding the repeated rejections hard to take. Questioning what's wrong with me instead of having a "you're too good for them" outlook on the situation. Tempted to buy a sardine and put it on the lure to roleplay catching something.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Same spot as yesterday from from 1 until 3.30. Despite the earlier rain, the river was a very similar level to yesterday, but it was very coloured. Fifteen grayling, not one needing to be netted, and 25 minnows.:eek:;):D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well, back to the old gravel pit in somewhat better conditions than the non-stop sunshine into the gin clear water last week. Quite crowded again today, three of us on 17.5 acres.

Dark clouds, lowish pressure, surely I could get amongst some of the big roach............Nope.... Had a few dozen roach, mainly around 12oz to just over the pound again, from 10am- 3.30pm, (had to move about 1pm as the surface of the bay was collecting all the leaves making a light waggler setup quite tricky) would have stayed ‘til dusk after getting fish in the new swim but the bites dried up about 2.30 and it had been pretty dark all day anyway.

With this change in the weather coming I think I’ll sort the lures out and try for some river perch instead, the roach can wait a couple of weeks until they've sorted themselves out..............;)

nicepix

Reaction score
How did everyone get on then?

Posting early this week as I only managed to get out yesterday and blanked!

Nothing much wrong with the river or the conditions to be honest but I failed to muster a decent bite all day alternating between steak and crust on the straight lead with hemp going in over the top which had worked for me on the Thursday previously and think I’m lagging behind a bit now the game is changing.

My mate ended his run of blanks with two small chub and a nice barbel on his very last put in so pleased for that… if I include the weekday stints I’ve had a bit of a rude run overall if I look back over the last five or six sessions so I’m not complaining all things considered.

So for those that would have missed the sight of those gleaming forceps…

So then, how did everyone get on… ?

You get an idea of the size of those forceps by the way that he's written on the back of a postage stamp :D

slaphead

Reaction score
One small roach for me today (2.30pm til dark) on my trusty £9.97 Ron Thompson match rod, with Shakespeare Omni 30RD reel.

Cold, wet and windy at times but that little fish made my day. :)

Leeds-Liverpool canal tomoz whatever the weather.