Wood Lane, Iver, any tips?

sampras43

Reaction score
If anyone can offer any words of wisdom on how to approach the specimen lake at Wood Lane I'd appreciate it.

I've been a few times but only the match lake, and did OK on the pellet waggler a couple of months ago when it was warmer. Nothing amazing, a few of the hard fighting F1's, some skimmers and bigger bream, roach and the odd common around 6lb.

I'd like to try the specimen lake this week and was planning on having a go with a micro cage feeder, (micro pellet/groundbait) but a little unsure on hook-bait this time of year. By the way I don't have a pole.

Would the above feeder approach for bigger carp be a good idea, perhaps use larger pellet or perhaps a brighter hookbait such as single corn. I've used real and fake before on the match lake with success.

I know it's not the best but the fishery is quite near to me and convenient.

thanks

barbelboi

Reaction score
There are, as Simon mentioned in your introduction thread, some very good local clubs that not only provide a varied selection of waters (gravel pits, estate lakes, farm ponds, rivers) but are much better value - unless you particularly prefer commercial waters.
Jerry

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The back lake at WL is shallower than the match lake. Pellet wagg does catch but never tried it in current conditions. Pellet feeder or method will catch the carp. Best pegs are ( with your back to the match lake ) the first one you come to in the corner. Fish tight to the reeds to your left. Otherwise the pegs facing the island, again fish as close to the marginal reeds on the island as you can. Later in the day worth pinging a few pellets into your margin and try there for the last hour with a float. Strong hook and at least 0.17 hooklink, hair rig pellet 4/6/ or 8m banded. Alternative baits I would use bunch of maggots or worm on the hook. I may try corn or meat but it's really an all out pellet venue.
Good luck...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The back lake at WL is shallower than the match lake. Pellet wagg does catch but never tried it in current conditions. Pellet feeder or method will catch the carp. Best pegs are ( with your back to the match lake ) the first one you come to in the corner. Fish tight to the reeds to your left. Otherwise the pegs facing the island, again fish as close to the marginal reeds on the island as you can. Later in the day worth pinging a few pellets into your margin and try there for the last hour with a float. Strong hook and at least 0.17 hooklink, hair rig pellet 4/6/ or 8m banded. Alternative baits I would use bunch of maggots or worm on the hook. I may try corn or meat but it's really an all out pellet venue.
Good luck...

Not fished WL for ages,never in winter but always the "back" lake and what Simon says is sound. They do [or did] tend to back off the feeder after a bit so if bites slow up try something different in terms of presentation.Full of fish & they've grown a bit since I last fished there so I'm told. I dont personally like the RH end...anywhere to the left on either bank I'd be happy with.

sampras43

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I may head over there on Tues or Wed and give it a go on the method. I know its a pellet venue as every time the folks come round for the ticket money they always ask if I've got pellets. I'll try the method on pellet, corn and red maggot and if nothing happens I'll switch to the float. Might try dead maggot on the hook inside the feeder.

What about lake 2 at Lizard Lakes, anyone fished it in winter?

By the way I'm planning on joining Uxbridge Rovers in the coming weeks as they seem to be very well regarded with some Great Lakes and pits etc.

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
big perch in the match lake, they had a fish kill, all carp, last year and the stock has thinned down which is not a bad thing, not my cup of tea these days, get on Rovers, fish batchworth for some proper fishing.

sampras43

Reaction score
big perch in the match lake, they had a fish kill, all carp, last year and the stock has thinned down which is not a bad thing, not my cup of tea these days, get on Rovers, fish batchworth for some proper fishing.

Thanks, I've just joined Uxbridge and will be heading over to Batchworth at some point next week depending on weather. Forecast isn't great.

I've been back to WL since and I find it quite dull now..even when catching. I still like lizard lakes as imo it has the better fish, but now I've joined Uxbridge I'll give it a miss for a while. A tenner every time you fish....

I'm guessing the Colne and Thames are going to be pretty tough this time of year, but how are the other Uxbridge Rovers lakes fishing atm?

thanks