Anyone fishing this weekend?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Horrible NE wind today but me and son of meldrew were out at Berkhamstead again on the GUC. Bright sunshine in the face and a chilly breeze, we fished poles and light rigs. Unlike 2 weeks ago on our last foray conditions had changed considerably. Som caught 3 roach on the trot during the the first of our 3 hour match. I was blanking on worm section on the 9m line. Got out another section and cupped chop @11m and the sun came out...
I had the reflection in the face for at least 25mins.
Ate my sarnies and then it clouded over. The water at 11m became dark and with a yellow tip float dotted down, I was off with roach, perch and one gudgeon. Red maggot seemed to be what they wanted after trying worm section, bread punch and single caster..
At the weigh in it looked close, som had it with 1:8.
I had 1:4.
Weekend looks slightly better weatherwise. An interclub match on the GUC @Tring on Sunday for us.
Anyone else fishing this weekend?

Last edited:
B

binka

Yep out on Saturday for a roving session on the river for pike... after some good recent results I feel quite chilled about risking a blank and trying something different and gonna have an entire day on really big deads to see if it will sort some of the really big fish that are there and stocking up at the moment.

Sunday dependant on how I get on Saturday and how I'm feeling as I'm sneaking a session in on the river tomorrow for chub and barbel.

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
Piking tomorrow - day off work. My 60th birthday and need to go fishing to cheer myself up at the thought of officially becoming what we call at work (Dept of Health) an "older person" :eek:.

GUC on Sun with my club - hopefully Berko, unless it's rammed and then we'll see where we can get on. Bread liquidised and ready for action. Sunday roast and a pint in front of the log fire afterwards in the wonderful Anchor at Bourne End.:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll be out at some point over the next four days. How often and when exactly will depend on the river levels and the wind.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Autumn/Winter work parties on both days. Weather looks okay and the Syndicate HQ (Pub) is a great place to finish.:w

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, out tomorrow on a small pond for roach with red mags and casters...Hoping for a non frosty start and less wind than today. I hill walked for 21/2 hours today in that wind and TBO it was very unpleasant. That'll teach me not to chicken out of fishing (today) just because it was a little chilly!! What a wimp....

badgeroo

Reaction score
Taking my lad (badger98) to fish his first match tomorrow on a local private lake. He is all ready with a nice selection of bait including; maggot, worm, sweetcorn, caster, compressed bread for punching, hemp, and groundbait.
The plan. feeder for first hour while baiting margins, switch to whip/pole methods after 1hour if feeder not working. Hope he does well!!:):)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Badgeroo....Don't know how old your 'lad' is, but do you work out the 'plan' together or is it 'his plan' ? Does he take kindly to advice or do the eyebrows head north when you offer advice 'based on your greater experience'?
From experience my son would say yes, yes, yes, to everything and then go out and do his own thing anyway..

I assume you don't watch him in action..............

badgeroo

Reaction score
Tee-cee he is 15 years old and we were able to do a reccy a few weeks ago and he decided most himself with a little help from me ( god only knows what he will do.) I have decided to go and film him as a reminder and will post it if it turns out good.;);)

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Good luck badger 98.
Don't forget to tell us how it went on Sunday eve, on Binkas 'how did you get on then' thread.....

Will do I will be doing some footage so hopefully have something to see.:):)