How did everyone get on then?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Will get some time on the river during the week ,(also got a lot of bits to do in the garden while the weather's settled), fortunately we don't appear to be troubled by frost at present and the forecast is to even warm up a bit later in the week. Fishing next weekend though on the LIF fish'in.

nicepix

Reaction score
I was due to go today, but the weather wasn't suitable. Too cold and with a clear sky and north-east wind I'd have been on a hiding to nothing. Instead I took the camper van for a run and parked up at a few spots on the two large lakes near to us so i could have a reccy.

Amazing how much more enjoyable exploring is with gas central heating, radio / CD and tea making facilities on hand :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Went to a stretch of river I've not set foot on since my teens. The actual place I wanted to fish was inaccessible the way I dimly recall. I did try to get there, but the path was positively dangerous and there was too great a risk of a slip and fairly long fall into fairly deep water. With limited time, I gave it up as a bad job and went to the much more friendly opposite bank. The reason that I wanted to fish the far bank was due to the majority of the flow and depth being on that side. I suspected that's where the fish would be. Unfortunately, that was the case and I couldn't get close enough to get at them properly. As a consequence, I managed a solitary grayling of 13oz. I might give it another bash if I can figure out how to safely get to where I want to be and have a bit more time. I think I may try another different, but slightly more familiar, stretch several miles upstream, next.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club match today GUC Tring. Really enjoyed it, mild day with a few showers and a bit of colour in the water.
I fished the pole half way up the far shelf with worm over choppy.
First hour and a half it was swinger perch a chuck, skimmers and a Ruffe .
Then, like a switch being thrown, the line was dead.
Cupped in a pot of hemp and fished caster on the top of the far shelf and although I had to wait for bites I was banging out quality netter roach.
Weighed in 5lb.0 for 6th..
Winner had 6lb 12.
15 fished.

B

binka

Instead I took the camper van for a run and parked up at a few spots on the two large lakes near to us so i could have a reccy.

Amazing how much more enjoyable exploring is with gas central heating, radio / CD and tea making facilities on hand :D

The mate that I fish with spends around 5k a year on holidays with his missus and has recently taken up the camper van idea as an alternative, to which I've been completely supportive of course :)

By the way those forceps in the symbol bottom right are actual size :wh :D

aebitim

Reaction score
Back on the Avon roach quest and fished a few swims in rotation, some very nice dace and a good few chublets half a million minnows a grayling and, at last, some roach.

jimlad

Reaction score
I had an interesting few hours yesterday, fishing a stretch I'd been meaning to give a go for about 2 years and just never got round too ok the river tees. All I had was a rod in hand, net clipped to my vest, waders and a pouch for maggots, and I just wandered.

I started off well enough, wading in to the middle of the river and getting a couple of nice grayling, but then the waders sprung a leak. So I wandered downstream to fish a swim further down...only a few more little'uns and one decent fish lost in the flow.

Enjoyable....anyone recommend some good winter waders?!!

P1020781_zps9eb4e14e.jpg

P1020783_zps293dcdc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another different spot on the Swale today. Three hours of trotting resulted in not a single bite. I was pretty sure that there would be some fish about, but they obviously didn't want a moving bait. I'd rather not fish the tip, but it's better than blanking. First drop in produced a grayling of exactly a pound.

408185175.jpg

Another couple of grayling just shy of a pound quickly followed.

408185191.jpg

408185214.jpg

The bites then got much less frequent and much more finicky. Eventually, I managed to hit one of the better rattles which resulted in my biggest grayling for many years at 1lb 8oz.

408185222.jpg

I then had the most violent bite of the day which resulted in a grayling of nearly two ounces!:eek:;):D The last bite of the day was from the obligatory lunatic trout of more than a pound.

408185226.jpg

The impressive display of acrobatics killed the swim stone dead so, once the sun dipped below the horizon, I called it quits.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had a few hours on the Colne today, a few bright periods but predominately overcast. The water was very clear so decided to fish a run of approximately 9' deep - 6 chub to about this size.................nothing special but a '6' is a very good fish from this stretch as we fortunately don't have any Ronnies & Reggies in residence yet - the big girls are further upstream in R&R territory.

c25112_zps180e424e.jpg

c4_zpsb426cb80.jpg

badgeroo

Reaction score
Went with my lad to fish a charity match. It was his first match and he caught 10 ounces - it was cold and hard. he was quite happy as he had only fished there once before - was fishing same tactics as the angler next to him ( whip, 4lb line small hook and a single maggot ) but never managed to catch a 21lb ghost carp like he did!! never mind he enjoyed it and made him more determined.
:beer::beer:

B

binka

Just a quick update after I snook out for a few hours this morning and managed two small jacks and a small zander along with this pike around a mid double, all to floatfished dead roach in the same swim...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours trotting before dark.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went today from 7.30, after roach on a small still water. Managed nine roach and a couple of perch, nothing of any great size but enjoyable fishing. This, after a tackle rethink last night which lead to using smaller floats with long anternnas to help bite registration, with smaller hooks and fishing hard on the bottom in a shallower swim at around 6/7' instead of 10/12'....
Will go again tomorrow to catch some better fish....well, maybe!

Good to be out though...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Back to a tried and tested spot on the river today. I wanted to fish there as it's absolutely ideal for a specific method.;)

Fourteen grayling and seven (six really) trout. Remember that dopey two pound brownie that I've caught a couple of times in the last week or two? I had it again today, twice. :eek: :eek:mg: ;) :D Now that I'm getting repeat captures of the same fish, I think I'm going to have to find a new favourite spot. Shame that the alternatives that I've tried so far don't seem to hold anywhere near the numbers of fish.

The best grayling was bang on a pound.
408231782.jpg

B

binka

Nice one Sam, it's a miracle that mug brownie hasn't ended up on a dinner plate by now :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nice one Sam, it's a miracle that mug brownie hasn't ended up on a dinner plate by now :)

It wore itself out the first time I landed it today, took an age to recover. When I saw it the second time, I thought it might keel over. Certainly no acrobatics the second time round. It went back better second time than it did first.
It certainly shouldn't get knocked on the head any time soon though, trout are out of season.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I was about to sat the same thing!!

Surely that trout needs to be eaten. It's obviously had enough of the river, out of season or not.....

Lovely catch of grayling though........Nice fishing on a cold day!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well it was such a smart day today I had to go swimming the stream

Last edited: