Weird catch

pentaxman

Reaction score
Was fishing a local pond / lake for an hour or so late this afternoon and had my weirdest ever catch.

I was fishing double white maggot under a 2 1/2 AA waggler and a size 16 barbless hook on 4lb line and I caught.........

a 4-5" Swan Mussel.

The bite was quick and straight down, of the hook all I could see or get at was the eye which was out of 1 side of the firmly clamped together shells.

I did manage to winckle (excuse the pun) the hook out through the edge using some forceps.

Weird or what?

B

binka

Having used 'em for very excellent bait I'm not sure if swan mussels have eyes or even if they would consume a small fish (which in turn... ) but I have caught them frequently by (presumably) foul hooking them whilst wobbling deadbaits along the bottom.

A carp angler still swears he had a run from one on a local ex-club Stillwater?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had exactly the same thing many years ago when fishing the Duke of Bedfords waters only I was on the lead. The lake was loaded with them and some people used the insides for tench fishing on the hook and also in the groundbait.....

Never tried them myself though.................

terry m

Reaction score
Have used them many years ago as a very successful tench bait. I am sure I read somewhere that they are a protected species nowadays?

pentaxman

Reaction score
I have checked, the Swan Mussel is not a protected species in this country.

It is obviously more prevalent that I expected judging by how this is going.

B

binka

It is obviously more prevalent that I expected judging by how this is going.

I've walked river banks after high water and seen literally hundreds of open and empty washed up shells and often wondered where the insides went and if the river version were the same species?