chub on boilies

Reaction score
nice fish m8 i havent tryied boilies for Chub, but am geting a good response of Lob worms and Slugs and have had two 9 LB Chub this year.

Great spot you have thier its always nice to see these fish reach good a size..

keep on Fishing M8 and be Lucky

C

Colin North, the one and only

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul 'Pikey' Howarth wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Two 9lb chub!

That's really something. Any chance of a photo?

Nicefish by the way Paul!</blockquote>
He has posted three pictures. Judge for youself.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
(_lB_Chub.JPG

They are both of the same fish, this is the better photo.Well spotted Colin.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think someone should point out that there are plenty of big fish experts on this site and given that splayed fingers measure around 4" that chub which is not especially fat is just scraping 18". I'd be surprised if it is much over 3lbs. Really big chub have very different proportions...

Ginger

Reaction score
I think Lukes fish looks bigger than the one in the picture at the start of this thread.

B

Bully

This thread is lost on me! Its never 9lb, not even 5lb.......and Iwould never use boilies to target chub.

steve B

Reaction score
Bully, any particular reason why you wouldn't use boilies for chub.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The present record chub was caught on a boilie ...............

B

Bully

I have caught chub on boilies, but only when targeting barbel, and during those sessions have often missed many bites which Iknow were chub.

Reason for me is that the only effective way to use boilies is to hair-rig, and even if you keep the hair very close to the hook I am convinced this is no where near as effective than a hook mounted bait. I read (on this forum I think by Gary Knowles) about how chub "lip" the baits first and turn. As such you just pull the bait out.

Its not so much the boilie, which chub scoff, its the hooking method that is the issue. As such I would never target chub using any hair rigged bait. You will catch some, but I doubt the conversion rate is anywhere near as high, especially when it gets a bit colder and the bites more timid.

steve B

Reaction score
I personally don't use boilies, but I know a couple of anglers who catch plenty using pellets/ boilies.

I prefer using softer baits paste/ meat / bread where the hook pulls through the bait on the strike.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Brendan

Something that worked for me for chub last season was a bait band hair rigged so it's touching the shank of the hook. Then you can either put a hard pellet in the band (and cover that in paste so it's starting to cover the hook) or hair rig a soft hooker pellet (sonu's s-pellets or hali-hookers are ideal in the 11m) so they touch the shank. Or you can fish cheesepaste direct on the hook. All without changing your rig.

jasper or big man

Reaction score
not wishing to seem rude a large worm or bread or a small piece of cheese are as good as ever without to much complications old rules maybe