Do you feel safe when fishing

blandford-esq

Reaction score
When you are out on your own fishing, do you feel safe?

I have many times found myself potentially at risk. I fish a canal that runs through a housing estate it can at times be a little un-nerving when I'm on my own in the late evening and a group of lads come past, its not the best of areas to be in but its my only local fish. I also go to a pond some distance away, its on the outskirts of a city and sometimes attracts unwanted attention from trouble sorts. I am always amazed at the odd carp angler snoring away in his bivy as you walk past with all manner of expensive items on display. I have heard of many incidents of anglers being awoken at knife point in the early hours and basically being robbed of everything and then knocked. I've lately gotten into the habit of keeping the biggest stick I can find to hand next to me Its getting that bad as I have had many a moment where I'm verbally aggravated to try and get a reaction from me.

Is this just local to my area or do you all get similar happenings?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
The only place locally I've heard of this happening is a lake near the town centre. Although no knives.

If any of the little chavs tried to knick my tackle they'll be going swimming or end up belted round the head with my landing net handle.

L

Luke Allsop

A carp angler was held at knifepoint and had all of his tackle stolen a couple of months ago by a couple of lads who were patrolling around the lake looking for expensive gear to nick. I'm mainly a fly angler and I prefer to keep moving to avoid these louts (you get a few of them here and there).

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I must admit that sometimes I do feel very wary at some venues. I tend to fish into dark on the river and it's oftren crossed my mind that if someone came at me from behind I would end up in the "drink". It's best to fish in pairs, but that's not always possible.

ellcodd

Reaction score
i no what you mean blandford its geting doddgy on the banks now a days i take a big claw hammer with me when fishing alone.a freind of my takes an axe trust me if some one got ether item on there knee caps dont think thell be back.butwe shouldnt have to worry about getin robbed when fishing whats the world comeing to /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
After about 40 odd ( sometimes very odd ) years of fishing , there has been only about 1/2 dozen times that I have felt threatened and only one time comes to mind , to which I was more worried about my gear more than my safety .

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I wouldn't even attempt to fish in to the dark or bivvy out on my own. Not that I heard of any incidents here in my area, still... one can't be to sure any more these days, there is always a first time.

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
My advice would be to give up your tackle (or whatever "they" are trying to rob), it can always be replaced, YOU can not be.

Don't take flashy rods/tackle when you know you are going to be more vunerable.

The above said, myself being a 6 ft male I doubt I would take my own advice... someone needs to teach these d#*kheads a lesson!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Years ago when I used to carry a piece, I felt totally safe. Nothing ever did happen of course. Today, I do like to have a few friends around if possible. Trouble is when I go fishing these days, everyone else has to work.

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
Must admit that @ 55 i dont want to face some drug crazed lout, But i like river fishing and thats not allways the safest place to be on your own.

If i have to fish on my own i tend to use commercials as there normally other anglers about.

And when one of my mates can go we then hit the rivers or more "dodgy" areas.

But to be fair i have never had a problem but unlike 20 years ago certainly would not do a night on my own.

Mike

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I live in London therefore go out of London to fish I have never had a problem and night fish on my own as often as I can. Even so, I carry a machete for swim clearing purposes and it is always close to hand.

If I had to fish areas where I felt unsafe I don't know if I would bother, your personal safety is far more important than any fish.

jasper or big man

Reaction score
as i am now a senior person who when much younger did pretty much as i liked without fear of retribution i do feel sorry for the kids of today who cant fish as i did and wander fairly freely and enjoy a life learning about wildlife etc and we always forgot to bring our liscence which was the norm when ten years old

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have had more trouble with dog owners than with yobs.

Mind you, one incident two years ago where a group let the dogs go for a swim on the oposite bank to me, when they eventually realised I was there, they apologised to me though I was fishing the margins on my own bank so no problem caused. Minutes later, they let the dogs swim again further along and when a angler asked poitely to not let the dogs swim they became verbally abusive and verbally threatening to him.

I had a walk over to him carring my brolly spike which is solid aliminium with a screw spike. Needless to say, they had gone.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Lots of bravado here.Best advice is give them your tackle and hope you then don't get assaulted just for the fun of it.

I suspect statistically you are more at risk of falling in than getting attacked yet how many of us night fish particularly rivers with a life jacket?

blandford-esq

Reaction score
What really annoys me about all this is, if I was ever attacked while fishing chances are I'd manage to get hold of something to hand and use it. But my luck would be that I cause serious damage to the said perportator and get done for it, which just aint fair as none of it would of happened if the said perportator haddent picked on me in the first place!

The law in this country sucks big time, my bro lives in the states and is aloud to shoot any person who enters his home unlawfully he can also shoot any person attacking him on common ground.

Carpless

Reaction score
Have to agree that protecting yourself leads to you get done over. There was a club water that i was going to join which has fences all the way round but isn't that far from a local town. That is until i started reading about holes in fences, syringes on the ground and assaults happening regularly. What is coming to the world when you can't even go to nature without being disturbed and aggravated. As for fishing by myself, I can't think of any places that i'd feel 100% safe.

james j

Reaction score
Todmorden.Its in Yorkshire not Lancashire.
When I fish the canal on my doorstep I always take my 2 alsatians with me and I`ve still had grief from people,luckly its just been verbals from a few yards away.Like a few people,I think the best advise is to let them have your tackle if they want it,you can always get some more.It`s a lot harder to get over a good beating