Angling Trust Urges MPs to ‘Stand up for Our Rivers’

richiekelly

Reaction score
Isnt the department that authorises abstraction licences a government department, why isn't the government putting pressure on its own department with regard to abstraction? couldn't be that some MPs are in the water business could it.

lee fletcher 4

Reaction score
One of the main reasons for the coalition launching its Blueprint For Water back in 2006 was because too little was being done for rivers and everything connected with water for years. There is always lots of talk and posturing from parliament especially on environmental issues when the time is right for politicians to be "seen" to be doing something around election time, but good intentions are soon forgotten when safe seats become established for another four years.

There are those who say that water privatisation needs reversing because private water companies only care about returns for their shareholders furthermore stating that pollution has got worse under the privateers watch. That's actually not true because under privatisation there has been massive investment in sewerage and water systems with the additional fact that our rivers have got a lot cleaner under privatisation than they ever were before it.

When companies are tasked with looking after the sewerage management of over 48 million people its quite amazing there are not more cases of water companies polluting rivers with sewerage than there are?

Certain rivers and streams in the UK are in trouble. Some are in BIG trouble which is perhaps now irreversible. I have always maintained that rivers are our greatest national treasure and without them life is not possible. But why is it that successive governments fail to grasp the importance of our rivers?

Climate change is nothing new. The last Ice Age or Glacial Period was around 12,000 years ago and was not caused by man. It was caused by a natural phenomenon which is part of the interglacial cycle of the last million years. Weather extremes will continue to get worse and yes, mans often poor stewardship of the planet he dominates will only exasperate the change in climate no doubt.

In severe drought our best answer is to call for a hose pipe ban whilst in periods of torrential rainfall we stand and watch our planets most precious commodity rush out to sea without a single thought given to how we can save it for use in times of water shortage. We have allowed flood plains to be built upon nestled among vast plains of concrete aprons that deny access for water to replenish the aquifers we and our rivers rely upon. What sometimes makes perfect financial sense to accountants and politicians, makes pitiful sense to the planet. We have become obsessed with fast methods of drainage to the point of when it rains we want rid of it as fast as possible.

Money is just paper. Water is life.

Regards,

Lee.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Don't forget Consumers, they are every bit as wasteful when it comes to water and it's uses.
More needs to be done by Everyone.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Don't forget Consumers, they are every bit as wasteful when it comes to water and it's uses.
More needs to be done by Everyone.
Yes, and time everyone had a water meter fitted! Use it, pay for it.

Good post Lee. Just one little point that I'd clear up with you to avoid confusuon when you post in future or if you're writing to anyone. Sewerage is the pipework and gubbins that takes away the cr*p that we generate, sewage if the cr*p that we generate and pollutes the rivers when it's released untreated. I offer that in the spirit of friendship as it looked like your were confusing one with the other.

Which MP could be in the water industry, I wonder? :wh

OMG - that's TWO posts, I must go and shower now.... Waste of water that it is.

lee fletcher 4

Reaction score
"Good post Lee. Just one little point that I'd clear up with you to avoid confusuon when you post in future or if you're writing to anyone. Sewerage is the pipework and gubbins that takes away the cr*p that we generate, sewage if the cr*p that we generate and pollutes the rivers when it's released untreated. I offer that in the spirit of friendship as it looked like your were confusing one with the other. "

Some official information.

Sewage is the waste matter carried off by sewer drains and pipes. Sewerage refers to the physical facilities (e.g., pipes, lift stations, and treatment and disposal facilities) through which sewage flows.

You are right Jeff so thanks for that. You say tomato and I say tomato as the song goes but I'm originally from the mean streets of Nottingham when said subject is rarely referred to as sewage or sewerage but something entirely different.

Once upon a time there was MP who told the truth who's father was a banker and his father was an estate agent who's uncle sold used cars and double glazing in a land far far away where solicitors asked a fair price for their services.

Its not only Peter Pan who lives in never never land Jeff.

Regards,

Lee.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

And yes Steph,

According to Waterwise, every person in the UK uses 150 litres of water per day. And if you add "embedded water" to that,( water that is required to produce the food and products we consume in our day to day lives) its as as much as 3,400 litres per day. Clearly, industry is the biggest consumer of water?

Did you know that the UK has less available water than most other European countries?

It is estimated that more than 60% of Europe's largest cities consume water faster than it can be replenished.

UN data shows that 70% of global freshwater use is for irrigation, 22% is used by industry and 8% is used in homes.

I cut down on my own personal use of fresh water by drinking more Guinness and Irish Whiskey.

Regards,

Lee.