A Day with Mr Crabtree

neil1970

Reaction score
A Day with Mr Crabtree (updated)

Today I was lucky enough go fishing with the forums own Peter Crabtree.

Simon picked me up at 10.30 and drove us to one of his favourite locations on the local canal.

It was great for me to fish with a much more experienced angler and his tips on shotting, knot tying and tactics were very forthcoming and immensely useful for someone like me.

Bites were a bit slow despite perfect conditions, but I managed a couple of Perch, one tiny and a nicer sized one towards the end of the session.

Simon had two or three small Perch and Roach and hooked into something big which broke his hook.

The fish of the day went to Mr Crabtree with the lovely Roach pictured below, caught on two red maggots.

A thoroughly enjoyable day with a very nice bloke & top fisherman; so thank you Simon for that, and thanks also for the loan of the waterproof trousers, float and hooks.:D

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:
C

chefster

Nice thread mate,glad you had a good day,i,ve fished with Simon as well-top bloke,Chef:D

B

binka

Great post Neil, sounds like you've had a great day.

I've yet to meet Simon but we've exchanged pm's and emails and he comes across as a top bloke! :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice fish Simon.....................I suppose you'll be starting a canal roach challenge now;)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very nice all round, fellas. Proper local fishing as it was done before "Wannan arapaima?" pay-for-play.

neil1970

Reaction score
I managed to get out to the canal to meet Simon today at 2.30.

On the last cast, at 4.15, I was more than pleased to catch my first ever Chub, which Simon kindly netted and photographed for me.

I'm still excited now.:D:D:D

chubb_resized.jpg

:w Cheers

B

binka

Congratulations Neil and well done mate, it's great when something makes you feel like that... :w

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm chuffed to bits, Neil turned up today and set up his own waggler rig with no help from me and seemed to work out the problems one faces fishing the waggler on towing water. He worked out after a short while that his float choice didn't suit the canal but it was getting darker and no time to change set up.
Personally I struggled today with a few small perch and a roach/bream hybrid. A few gudgeon became active as it got darker and we both got bites.
I looked round and Neils rod had a nice bend in the tip, I said that looks like a good fish Neil. It was, so I grabbed my net and a joint effort saw the chub on the bank.
I gave it 2lb 8oz .
It just goes to show that persistence on some urban canals can throw up bonus fish if you have the patience.