New carp fishing video

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Thank Tikka! What do you make of our Controversies Section? And have you got anything you'd like us to mention? Any constructive criticism?

the Carp Mad Men

richiekelly

Reaction score
Dumping leads is mostly an irresponsible fad introduced by tackle companies, if you cannot safely get a fish away from a snag don't fish near them, using
using 5ozs of lead is not needed to catch carp particularly on the small waters on the video.
other than that a good start but please loose the shirts and ties :)

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
A bit jerky picture wise for me, maybe just my computer, but it was caching the video ok.

Nice informal discussion, but feel that if you are going to make scientific statements, you need to back them up; i.e. - there's no way fishing is going to cause lead poisoning - [or words to that effect]; this needs to be backed up with more than pub talk and personal opinions; so many myths get plastered around by well meaning people who got the wrong end of the stick.

Form the effta site

Whilst lead does occur naturally in the environment, most concentrations of lead found nowadays are the result of human activities. The lead in discarded or lost fishing shots or sinkers can get into the water supply or be eaten by the fish, birds & mammals that live by the water. The end result is lead poisoning; anaemia, muscular paralysis and damage to the nervous system, liver and kidneys.

The UK law was not introduced to protect humans or fish, but to protect the Mute Swan – the form of wildlife most at risk from lead shots. This is due to the bird’s habit of eating the smaller sinkers (especially the split-shot type) to use as grit in their gizzards, where they pulverize hard to digest items such as seeds. As the sinkers are ground along with sand and rocks, the lead is released into their bodies in concentrated form leading to debilitation and death. Before the restrictions were introduced in the UK more than half the deaths of Mute Swans were a direct result of lead poisoning.

Don't mind controversy, but convoluted bs I don't like.

I feel that what most videos fail to do is talk watercraft, why did you cast where you did, what underwater features are there, what prevailing conditions apply, what surface indications did you get etc. etc. Why did you think that you should cast there with your bag of pellets and plastic corn.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
I/we will reply as not doing so would be nothing but provocative. However, seeing as we weren't trying to categorically prove anything about dissolved lead, we don't need to defend it. It's just our point/beliefs. We have made our points clear in the video and never went into scientific discussion - hence the 'pub talk'. There is no rule that for such a topic, more detail is demanded. It is most certainly not convoluted BS but we will endeavour to do our next video more watercraft based. Regarding the mute swan, that is to do with lead shot, which is understandable. Shot is uncoated, has a much larger surface area and resembles something a swan would want. A 5oz lead is none of those things and would probably struggle to pick up and bother with a lead of such size. The Blanker, right. Fishing near a snag is one thing, leaving a broken off fish with even a 2oz lead caught up in it is wrong too! Even if a fish was not broken off near a snag, where do you think it will go and 'sulk'? It is therefore vital to dump the lead (not always on the take) but every time of it were to become snagged. Fact. Who also ever mentioned we used those sized leads on those waters?! Even if we did, it would never be cast and never kept on during the fight - purely from a fish welfare POV. We clearly covered most points about fishing with a big lead and the Do's and Don't's of do so. As for the shirts and ties, I sincerely hope you were joking as we aren't hurting anyone and its just a bit of variety/light-heartedness.

daji

Reaction score
Nice video guys. Shirt and tie look is a winner! Its certainly unique and could become part of your 'unique selling point' (yeah i've watched too many Apprentice series :D)

With regards to the 'pub talk' that is personally why i watch amateur angling video's. if i wanted scientific fact i wouldn't be trawling youtube. It's nice to get someones personal opinion on a subject, regardless of whether it's right or wrong and gives your video character. so many dull video's already so keep up the good work and don't just fall in line :cool:

Last edited:

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Thank you very much Daji! You don't realise how much that is appreciated. The shirt and tie idea came from the same idea so nice one! I can't say thanks enough for you last paragraph but hopefully you'll get the gist.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Don't mind controversy, but convoluted bs I don't like.

How can we read that as constructive criticism when you are essentially calling it convoluted BS? I can see some of your points as constructive but it's very hard to properly acknowledge them when there are subtle blows like that (or maybe not so subtle as they case may be).

Listen, it is a controversies section, we planned for people to disagree but to demand further research of the simply opinionated topic from ourselves is preposterous. We have made our beliefs heard (not forced upon) and have not provoked anyone as we have responded - we beleive - suitably.

richiekelly

Reaction score
If you only want the answers to questions to be the answers you want to hear then don't ask them, carp really are not that bright, I say that with the knowledge gained from 50 years watching them and fishing for them.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Could you please elaborate, Blanker? I don't seem to understand - especially the first part!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Could you please elaborate, Blanker? I don't seem to understand - especially the first part!

From the 4 posters that have posted on this thread (excluding yourself) 2 have been critical, you have answered with your posts in a manner that would suggest that you didn't really want criticism. you may not think that the criticism was justified but you did ask and if you don't like the answers don't ask.

I thought the video was a good start other than what I posted, still don't like the ties though :)

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
How can we read that as constructive criticism when you are essentially calling it convoluted BS? I can see some of your points as constructive but it's very hard to properly acknowledge them when there are subtle blows like that (or maybe not so subtle as they case may be).

Listen, it is a controversies section, we planned for people to disagree but to demand further research of the simply opinionated topic from ourselves is preposterous. We have made our beliefs heard (not forced upon) and have not provoked anyone as we have responded - we believe - suitably.

If you ask for feedback, learn to take it in; dis-regard it if you want or discuss it further, but take it as a learning experience and don't take it as a personal affront. If I wanted to insult you, would I bother writing what I did or write this. You will have people that will criticise because they can and think they are clever for doing so; you will also have people who are trying to help; that is the unfortunate nature of forums; it is up to you how you want to take it or deal with it.

Allow me the indulgence of a [very] short fairy tale to demonstrate why I think you should find out more facts:

Imagine a time not so long ago, and assume that two people are discussing fishing down the pub. After a while they start talking about Barbel / Chub / Carp fishing

Borris - I have this thing I got from a crayfish farm, I think he said it's a signal crayfish; it's bigger than our native ones and they breed really quickly; I've got them in my pond and my fish are eating them and piling on the pounds – do you think they would make good bait? I've got loads.

Alfred – They sound good, won't hurt to try them out will it?

This could be any number of invasive species, not just the aquatic variety.