Recommend me a rod or two.

L

Luke Allsop

Hi,

Some of you may know I've just bought a couple of ShimanoGTE-C 8000reels and now I'm after a couple of decent carprods to go with them, the one's Ijust hadwere cheap Shakespeares, they're rubbish with no feel in them and I've just taken them back. I also want something with a slightly higher test curveof 2.75lb, can you recommend anything good between the £50 and £100 mark? I've been looking at the Korum neotericspecimen 12ft 2.75lb rods for £75, are these any good?

Also since I'm fishing small to medium sized waters would it be a good idea to invest in a spod rod? If so please can you recommend a good one that's not going to cost the earth?

Thanks

Luke

KAR

Reaction score
I just but a couple of 2.75 12ft Zebco rods. They are very good rods and I'm pleased with them and have found no fault. But if you want real good rods I recommend Shimano.

Barney 2

Reaction score
If you look around you can find Greys Prodigys for £70, reduced from £129. I thinksome outletsmay be clearing them because Greys have bought out the Prodigy Plus. Well worth a look IMO but be quick.

I would question going for a higher test curve than 2.5lb for small to medium waters, are you basing this on your cheap rods? Be sure before you buy.

Can't help with the spod but I am sure other recommendations will come your way...

KAR

Reaction score
I just remembered. SONIK have a great deal, if you break a rod piece or it is faulty you send the piece back and you have a new one within 24hrs. I thought this was great but I'm not sure on the quality of the rods.

L

Luke Allsop

Erm, yes I am basing this upon my bad experience with my original rods. Another reason is that I've heard that 2.75lb is more capable of launching out bigger leads and PVA bags.

Barney 2

Reaction score
Yes, highertest curvesare more capable for bigger weights anddistances,but maybe at the expense of being too stiff for the fish you are catching and spoiling your fun. Do you need to go that heavy or cast that far? You said smallto medium waters...

The original Prodigysshould beavailable in the higher test curves if you can still find them at the said price.

I prefer to fish lighter and have a bend in the rod, but whatever you do,have a play in a shop before you buy and get whats right for you.

L

Luke Allsop

Would 2.5lb test curve be sufficient, the waters I'm fishing are between 2 and 6 acres and are shallow.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
That would be sufficient but how big the carp go? I have 3 12ftshimano Technicum 3lb FA with shimano 8000 GTE but I usually fish the method for cats and carp to 30lb plus but the cats fight hard, so 3lb T/C handles 100yds plus with a big method ball and a couple of halibuts. It all comes down to your style of fishing

R

Roto Fryer

a 2.5 test rod is ok for feel, howevr, should you wish to do more distance and bags etc you should step up. will you only ever be fishing this small water you are on now? a bigger water may make your rods redundant. try to find a happy medium.

GreyFox

Reaction score
TFG X2 are discounted to around 70 notes now they have bought out the X2 plus.. slim, responsive, capable of casting good weights and, m ost importantly, not liable to pull out when fish are under the rod tip.

R

Robert Woods

Berkely B4 rods have good reviews on carp forums...£40 to £50 each.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gifNot a fan of the berkely 'asthetics'

L

Luke Allsop

According to my sources the carp run to about 26lb with a few 30lb specimens, there aren't any 35 or 40 pounders in my local waters and I'm pretty much restricted to my local waters, I'm 14 so I won't be going fishing in France or bigger waters further southany time soon, also apparentely big PVA bags don't work on the local waters and small ones are better.

R

Roto Fryer

even if they tell you what works you will still have to find out for yourself. remember a bait in the wrong place is a bait in the wrong place no matter what it is!